Shell V-Power for older cars

Soldato
So, my friend thinks that using V-Power in older cars is a bad idea...

Personally, I would have thought it would be better.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I only ever use V-Power, in my bikes and now my 18 year old MX5 mk1 haha.

Soldato
it all depends on what the car demands.

a lot of kjet equipped cars from the 80s want higher octane

my bmw from 1994 was 97-98 ron

all depends on the car, not really the age

Soldato
OP
If you engine isn't tuned for it, It's largely pointless in any car.

Putting aside the performance side of things. Surely the 'cleaner' petrol will help the engine to run better?

I honestly don't know. But for example, my 748 used to run on it at all times, and when I had no option but to use 'normal' petrol, I certainly didn't get as many miles from a tank. Not a huge difference, but about a 5% increase.

Man of Honour
I run my 89 golf on vpower. No idea if it actually makes a difference but for the sake of a few quid a tank why not. Could explain why a standard 115000 mile engine produced 10% more than standard power at last year's RR day.

Soldato
So, my friend thinks that using V-Power in older cars is a bad idea...

Personally, I would have thought it would be better.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I only ever use V-Power, in my bikes and now my 18 year old MX5 mk1 haha.

As already said, completely depends on the car. I used Vpower and Tesco 99 in my 1996 Legnum, but I wouldn't dream of using it in my 1999 Lolvo V40 ;)

Soldato
Its worth it in a jap car imo. As they are often made for better petrol anyway. Especially if it an import.

Soldato
Used to use it or 97 octane in my Capri as it was still set up to run on Leaded 4-Star, then I used to add octane booster & lead additive to it.

Soldato
Used to use it or 97 octane in my Capri as it was still set up to run on Leaded 4-Star, then I used to add octane booster & lead additive to it.

I found it made a big difference to my 1987 Polo (it even did improve economy a bit). But on none of the other old junk I've had it's made any difference.

You really need to be going back to before unleaded came on the scene, which is over 20 years ago.

Soldato
I run my 89 golf on vpower. No idea if it actually makes a difference but for the sake of a few quid a tank why not. Could explain why a standard 115000 mile engine produced 10% more than standard power at last year's RR day.

Is it a kjet or digi gti? If so I'm sure the filler cap says 98

OcUK Staff
Hi there

To my knowledge Vpower is built from the ground up, its not like Tesco 99 where they take regular unleaded or SUL and add Octane boosters.

Vpower is built from the ground up, so no additives added or Booster to get it upto the 98/99 or whatever it is. I believe Shell also have several cleaning additives in it as well which make it ideal for preserving an engines life or slowly trying to clean an older engine.

Also many seem to get extra MPG with Vpower which kinda balances out its extra cost in the first place. :)

Soldato
Mighty! If you're local you can have my abf if you take it out the car and promise to be nice to it. Got second place in the national cgti 16v rr day

Back
Top Bottom