Looking for a good backlit mechanical keyboard

Soldato
Is there a big difference between black and reds?

This keyboard looks amazing but are in red switches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4EFIKvNNzA&feature=player_embedded

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#kf

That Gigabyte Aivia Osmium does look good and is getting great reviews across the web. I found it for just under £100 and so have placed an order as a replacement for my BlackWidow Ultimate.

"Cherry MX Black switches are purely linear (non-tactile), making them ideal for first-person shooter games. Since the keys in this type of gaming scenario are pressed frequently (and often with considerable force), a detectable pressure point is not necessary, and in some cases even disruptive."

"The rarely-encountered Cherry MX Red switches are a special variation on the MX Black, and are distinguished by a very low compression point and a low operating force."

So it sounds like they are quite similar.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the QPAD MK50 which is more or less the same as the QPAD MK85 with the USB hub and the lights! I would say that the build quality is ok, but it is no Filco, I owned a Filco Brown for 2 weeks and this is the best Mechanial keyboard i have used, very sturdy and well built. Unfortunately I don't think they offer a back lit version.

Probably wouldn't go for the Razer mechanicals as they aren't all NKRO, which if you want something decent is essential. I have a Cherry MX Blue keyboard and would say that what you like to type on is very subjective. I prefer blues for typing but the tactile and audible click can be annoying in games, so for those I use Reds. The QPad build quality I would say could be better, perhaps the corsair might be better?

If you order from the QPAD website you can pay a little more to get the key switches of your choice...

Associate
I would recommend one of the ducky shine keyboards, unfortunately they are only available in US layout I believe. I am typing this post on a ducky dragon of the year edition with red switches, it is basically a limited edition tenkeyless version of the shine 2 and I must say I am absolutely loving it coming from an old scissor switch type.

Associate
I have the Q-Pad MK-85 with reds and I really like it. It can be a little noisy to type on but build quality seems fine and the back lighting is nice and even with each key having it's own LED.

Associate
The quality of the keyboard is ok, but if you take a look at the keycaps and the mechanisms beneath it isn't as good as my MX Blue Cherry board, but that isn't NKRO and fitting everything in at the price they do is they have to cut back somewhere.

Soldato
Now typing on my new Gigabyte Aivia Osmium and really liking it so far. It addresses all the niggles I had with my BlackWidow Ultimate.

• Quite MX Red switches and keys (the BWU uses MX Blues which are very clicky)
  • Matt finish throughout (the body of the BWU is very glossy)
  • Regular keycap font (the BWU uses a "cool" gamer font)
  • 64-key rollover (the BWU is 2-6 KRO depending on key clustering)
The Osmium does in fact have winkey lock, something which several of the reviews do not make clear. The on-board USB 3.0 port is also a useful bonus.

Any bad points?

• I am not keen on plastic wrist rests and so I am using a a 3M Gel instead.
  • The cable is very thick, but when bent into position does at least hold it's position well.
  • The box is ridiculously large.
I haven't bothered with the macro software yet as this is not a feature I currently have a use for.

Associate
OP
Now typing on my new Gigabyte Aivia Osmium and really liking it so far. It addresses all the niggles I had with my BlackWidow Ultimate.

• Quite MX Red switches and keys (the BWU uses MX Blues which are very clicky)
  • Matt finish throughout (the body of the BWU is very glossy)
  • Regular keycap font (the BWU uses a "cool" gamer font)
  • 64-key rollover (the BWU is 2-6 KRO depending on key clustering)
The Osmium does in fact have winkey lock, something which several of the reviews do not make clear. The on-board USB 3.0 port is also a useful bonus.

Any bad points?

• I am not keen on plastic wrist rests and so I am using a a 3M Gel instead.
  • The cable is very thick, but when bent into position does at least hold it's position well.
  • The box is ridiculously large.
I haven't bothered with the macro software yet as this is not a feature I currently have a use for.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I ended up buying the Gigabyte keyboard. After a days usage i have to say i'm loving it.

I have tested the macro software and its very easy to use and set-up. I am currently using the keys to purchase weapons on cs:go and it works flawlessly :)

Back
Top Bottom