Coolamasta's new home NAS & rack build :-)

Associate
Firstly would like to take the opportunity to say a massive thanks to Andy from OcUK for sorting me out some discount on 4 x 3TB Western Digital Red drives and a Seasonic 80+ Gold PSU, many thanks mate :D

So to cut a long story short I was using a HP Microserver as my home NAS with 4 x 2TB drives in for storage un-raided, there was also a Crucial M4 64GB SSD (OS) and a pair of 2.5" 500GB's for backup and while initially it was great because of the low power consumption and small footprint it didn't have much oomph behind it being just a 1.5ghz dual core.

I started using Plex as my media server because it has a server back end and multiple client front ends, I run plex on 3 HTPC's, an iPad 3 and 2 Android phones and I found that when streaming to the iPad and Android phones the video has to be transcoded on the fly which quite frankly the poor little CPU in the HP Microserver couldn't handle resulting in jumpy un-watchable media :(

I decided that I need a newer, faster NAS which still has a low power consumption, I also wanted to have a reasonably good looking install, I currently have a 12u rack in my "office" at home (small bedroom converted) I have ran all my network cables back to this room and up into the back of this rack, below is a pic of how its been looking for the last year or so :)

12u1.jpg

12u3.jpg

Over last couple of months I collected various parts ready to build my new NAS and decided to go for proper rack-mount cases as I already had a pair of 4u 450mm rack-mount cases sat spare, my only issue is that my 12u rack is 450mm from front to back so the cases will not fully go in at all so I have decided to get rid of the 12u and build my own pair of smaller racks!
I will be using MDF and instead of going 12u tall im going to do 2 x 8u wide so the 8u on the right will hold both my rack-mount servers (other 4u server is my VMware ESXi server) and the 8u on the left will hold the power and network gear, much more to come with this soon once I've done my calculations and been to B&Q to get some wood cut!...

So back to the new NAS - its now built and im currently configuring it and playing with the RAID settings, I have gone for a Raid-5 configuration so will be getting 8.18TB of usable space from the 4 x 3TB Red's, im going to stick with default 64KB stripe size and have a play with the read-ahead, read through, write through and write back settings to see what I/O I can get, will report back soon :)

Spec of the NAS is:

• 4U Rack mount case
  • MSI H77MA-G43 s1155 Motherboard
  • Intel i3 2120 CPU @ stock 3.3ghz
  • Kingston Hyper DDR3 RAM 4 x 4gb @ stock 1600mhz
  • Seasonic G series 360w '80 Plus Gold' PSU
  • LSi 8-port 2960i RAID Controller with 256mb Cache (Need a BBU!)
  • 4 x Western Digital 3TB "Red" (Raid edition) Harddrives
  • Icy Box IB-545SSK Tray less 5 Bay HDD enclosure
  • Crucial M4 64GB SSD for OS & Plex server
  • WD Green 2TB HDD for general dumping group/PC backups/DL's etc
  • Intel Pro 1000 PT PCIe Server NIC

There is a 120mm inlet fan at low speed, the top panel expansion card arm holder thing I've modded to hold an 80mm fan to breeze air over the RAID controller heatsink as that sucker gets hot!

Anyway Pics!...

nas1.jpg

nas2.jpg

nas3.jpg

nas4.jpg

nas5.jpg

nas6.jpg

nas7.jpg

nas8.jpg

nas9.jpg

nas10.jpg

nas11.jpg

nas12.jpg

nas13.jpg

Plenty more to come! :)

Associate
OP
Yeah plenty of space in these cases, about the same space as an Antec 300 on its side, its purely for personal use at home for media streaming, file storage, training and testing :)

Getting some nice speed results from the RAID array, will get some screenshots up soon :)

Associate
Subbed. Nice to see a change from gaming rigs. I'm interested in the LSi 8-port 2960i RAID Controller as I've got a Highpoint 2680sl running 4x1TB drives for my media/folding server - be interesting to see how the LSI model compares.

Associate
I've also not come across Plex before. My HTPC has Vista on it, so I've recently moved away from Windows Media Centre and the plug in "Media Browser". We found that quite intuitive to use, but Media Browser only works on 7, not Vista, so we had to give that up as a bad idea. Anyway, now use XBMC which is OK, but seems to struggle in reading music video tags (I've got 1000+ music videos) and keeps on timing out using the default add in.

What do you use?

Associate
OP
Cheers bud, well I am pretty shocked at the speed of this array! :eek:

Below are the results of the array in a RAID 5 using the following config:

Stripe Size:- 64KB
Read Policy:- No Read Ahead
IO Policy:- Direct IO
Write Policy:- Write Through (was using 'Always Write Back' but need BBU)
Access Policy:- Read Write

I have 1 problem though and that is I don't have a BBU (Battery Backup Unit) installed which means that having the Write Policy set to 'Always Write Back' is dangerous because if there is a power failure then it will most likely cause data corruption and mess up the array and give me a massive headache!

I currently have set the Write Policy set to 'Write Through' which will get rid of the risk but it has dropped my write speeds to less than a quarter of what they are above, mad how much difference it makes! The BBU is about £140 so I will be getting one next month I think as I can't deal with 40-50MB/s write speeds! :(

(Screen shots below are with 'Always Write Back' turned on)

nas15.jpg
nas16.jpg

More to come... :D

Associate
OP
I've also not come across Plex before. My HTPC has Vista on it, so I've recently moved away from Windows Media Centre and the plug in "Media Browser". We found that quite intuitive to use, but Media Browser only works on 7, not Vista, so we had to give that up as a bad idea. Anyway, now use XBMC which is OK, but seems to struggle in reading music video tags (I've got 1000+ music videos) and keeps on timing out using the default add in.

What do you use?

I never got on with WMC and the Media Browser plugin so I used XBMC for a while then I discovered Plex and was VERY impressed and have been using it ever since! You install the server back end on the machine where your media is located, tell is where you data is and categorise it as you wish then it will go off and pull down all the artwork/posters/info online.

You then install the front end clients on your HTPC's, Apple and Android devices, it will automatically find your server when you open Plex and then you just need to tweak your settings, turn on HD decoder etc etc and install a nice looking skin (PlexAeon is the best).

What I love about it is you can be sat downstairs watching something, stop it, shut it down, go up to bedroom HTPC or another device such as an iPad and then just resume watching your program/film :cool:

Try it mate, its free and trust me you wont turn back once you have it set up as you want it! :cool: Oh also a tip - install the server client on a SSD as the artwork comes up instantly when you are flicking through your media ;)

Associate
OP
Did you try our Plex over the weekend then mate?

I feel your pain with the array build time as well, took mine 2.5 days to initialise which I couldn't believe but then I suppose it has 12TB worth of drives to sort out, 3TB of that being the R5 parity drive which is a fair bit I suppose lol

What make you go for 128k stripe over the default 64k out if interest bud?

Associate
Out of interest - is the LSI card a sata 3 or 2 model?

I can;t find reference to a 2960, only a 9260. Which one is it please?

http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/6GBSATA_SASRAIDCards.aspx

I'm wondering whether I'll get any more performance out of the highpoint card by adding more drives, or whether I'd be better investing in a pro-card. My card is http://www.highpoint-tech.cn/usa/rr2680.htm#top

As for Plex - didn't get chance to install it. I was working on a SQL server build and that seemed to take an eternity to get all the updates down and installed for Windows Server 2008 and SQL server. I've not seen all 12gb of memory on my desktop machine in use until yesterday - it was quite underwhelming :|

Last edited:
Associate
Virgin came round and delivered my new router (I think it's called a superhub) as well as the new TIVO box. Very impressed with the TIVO's ability to rewind "LIVE" TV. We missed the start and end of a film last night (A perfect murder) and was able to wind it back to see both. Nice.

I've now installed Plex media server on my media server, and added my movies, music vids and music. It's chugging away doing something, and I have to say, on the movies at least, it seems to be a loser match than XBMC's engine(s). I'll install the client on the HTPC a bit later on and see what it looks like.

Any tips? There's not a whole lot of plugins obvious on the main site. What do you use?

Soldato
the superhub is h00ge pile of p00. i really wish virgin go back to doing standard modems,

as for plex see what you think after you install the clients, some peeps prefer xbmc some peeps prefer plex.

Associate
Nice case and Nice server, looks huge but seems perfect for home enetertainment, considering it has a 12TB total disk space, I would pay for something similar to that for atleast two thousand pounds. 16GB of RAM? nice, honestly, that has to be the best media server I have seen. Nice job and weldone, how much did it cost?

Associate
the superhub is h00ge pile of p00. i really wish virgin go back to doing standard modems,

as for plex see what you think after you install the clients, some peeps prefer xbmc some peeps prefer plex.

I can see why there is a divide - it's ok. Not great, not dirge. OK. Think I'll stick with it for a while.

As for the superhub, I remain to be convinced. You don;t appear to be able to bind a mac address to an ip address, and I've had my broadband go off for short periods late last night and around 9 this morning. I'm not blown away...

Back
Top Bottom