Windows 8 The Verdicts ?

Soldato
I have been using it since the original Beta on and off all the way up to RTM and do not like the modern UI. Great features under the bonnet, but spoiled by the bolted on UI system. I've purchased the upgrade offer as its the equivalent of 10GBP where I live for Windows 8 Pro so rude not to, but sitting on the ISO for a few months to see if MS provide an option to remove modern UI and drivers are more mature (I get worse FPS in 8 than 7 but that will be sorted). Will be interesting to see how it develops when main stream media start reporting on it.

I think this article sums up the problems I have - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013011/why-you-shouldn-t-upgrade-to-windows-8.html

The fanboys will be in shortly to say that anyone who doesn't like 8 is stupid, etc, etc but I think that article raises valid points and I agree with them.

There isn't any excuse for people not giving it a try and forming their own opinions as MS provide a 90 day fully functional trial of the final product which anyone can download from this site - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

Last edited:
Soldato
I tested Consumer Preview on my laptop and desktop. It was merely OK, I've grown to hate Metro UI.

But I'm trying out the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation on the laptop (an old Acer Ferrari One), and it's surprisingly great! The improvements are immense in terms of speed and transitions between different apps/desktop, I've got a lot of stuff open in the background and it doesn't lag one bit (so far, at least). I like some of the new metro apps as well, they fit well the new tablet-like interface of Windows 8.

Don't get me wrong, the new UI is a bit of a Marmite product. I don't think it will work so well on my desktop. But then the new Start menu is rather pretty and can be well organised, with live tiles providing constant news feed in a decent visual form. Classic Shell is a must to improve the productivity.

For £25, I'd say go for it. The new Upgrade system works great from what I hear, and you can refresh your new Windows install at any time.

Associate
For the love of god, not another new "is Windows 8 any good?" thread.

People will say "I don't like X, Y or Z," the Windows 8 taliban will appear, flogging people with their keyboards and chanting their "You're just frightened of change" mantra, and after ten pages this thread will be indistinguishable from any of the others.

Why not just read one of the existing threads or better yet download the demo and come to your own conclusions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Man of Honour
As said try it yourself.

Read the feature thread
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18381377&highlight=Features

Metro will. Annoy you to begin with, you don't have the muscle memory or instinct to do stuff like you will have in say win7. But after a week you get used to it.

People get hung up on metro and there's just no need, if you wish you can pretty much exclusively stay in desktop where virtually nothing's changed and just use metro as a more powerful and feature rich start menu. The search is so much better, as is live tiles. Want to check emails or any other live tile. Press win key and straight to metro for a quick glance at the live tiles, then straight back to desktop.

Or the mixed approach, I still do loads in desktop. But things like music,youtube, netflix I use metro. The snap feature is amazing and something's apps are just better laid out than desktop apps. The standised charm bar with search and settings will also make everyone's life far easier in the long run.

And off course if you still can't get on with it, there's several ways you can get start menu back.

Associate
I have recently started using Win 8 RC as a media server. It looks great on a big TV, but it's usability is woefull.

The fact that programs can only be either minimized or fullscreen is a HUGE step backwards IMO. The integration with Facebook isnt at all user friendly either. Much, much prefer loading the site up rather than looking at the relevant 'app' screen like 'people'. Also, messaging doesn't always update, and 'people' only gives you a very limited view of updates.

It's like having used a smartphone for years and then being given a Nokia 3310. It may be indestructable, but you sit there thinking, "Why cant I do this?!"

Soldato
I think it's great, apart from the GUI. I've been using it for a while and wish it didn't exist. I much prefer a standard Explorer and Desktop as normal and the ability to choose what gadgets and Rainmeter stuff i have.

Associate
Go to the desktop & open up your browser, Just the same as before.

So, go back to the Windows 7 desktop? What would be the point in upgrading if the first thing you are going to do is instantly load a Windows 7 virtual session?

Add to that the fact that you cant set windows to auto-boot to the Windows 7 desktop and all you are doing is upgrading for the sake of doing so and adding extra steps into the things you do most often.

As i said, dreadful usability.

:edit: Also, i dont have to "goto my desktop...just the same as before", in Win 7 my desktop is already open, so is the browser, i just have to click on the tab and drag it to the side.

Tell me how, in the native Windows 8 GUI, i can have two browser tabs open, 50:50 .

Last edited:
Associate

That's what I'm finding after a day (ish) with it. Both interfaces are good in their own right but it's Microsoft's insistence on hammering you to the new Start that gets me.

For the love of god, not another new "is Windows 8 any good?" thread.

Because there are lots of people who will be trying it for the first time - like me! :p

So, go back to the Windows 7 desktop? What would be the point in upgrading if the first thing you are going to do is instantly load a Windows 7 virtual session?

Add to that the fact that you cant set windows to auto-boot to the Windows 7 desktop and all you are doing is upgrading for the sake of doing so and adding extra steps into the things you do most often.

:edit: Also, i dont have to "goto my desktop...just the same as before", in Win 7 my desktop is already open, so is the browser, i just have to click on the tab and drag it to the side.

Tell me how, in the native Windows 8 GUI, i can have two browser tabs open, 50:50 .

This for usage on a desktop. Now I've upgraded I'll stick with it. I do kinda like Start as a sort of quick-daily-glance-before-you-do-some-real-work screen though. But as you said it adds an extra unnecessary step to the system.

Soldato

Can't you drag it down & then move it to the side like you can with other metro windows? I can't get IE to open in metro seems to be stuck in desktop mode :p

Associate
I hated everything I saw in the Public Previews, however after spending a full day with the Retail version on my main rig, I kind of like it.

Sure, there's a been a steep learning curve, but there hasn't been anything I've struggled to do so far. Everything you had in Win7 is still there, it's just not in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom