Dell U2713HM buzzing noise

Associate
On Friday I took delivery of my Dell U2713HM monitor from OCUK. It was all going well until I noticed that when I have certain windows open the monitor makes a buzzing noise. I noticed someone else had this issue on the Dell forum but after they tried doing a factory reset etc there weren't anymore posts from Dell.

Is this normal for a monitor costing this much? I find it really annoying having to listen to this buzzing noise in the background. Its not constant either so the loudness of the buzzing changes depending on what windows I have open! Certain white backgrounds and a particular spreadsheet of mine make it buzz everytime. In the spreadsheet if I minimise it then the buzzing goes away...restore the windows (maximise) and the buzzing starts again! I tried connecting the monitors power plug into another socket on the wall and this made no difference. Before I had it plugged into a power strip.

Is the monitor faulty? Any ideas or help anyone can offer? This monitors fantastic but this buzzing noise is a pain!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I am using Displayport for the connection to the Intel HD 4000 graphics card on the PC.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you able to test any other interfaces such as DVI?

My 6 year old Samsung buzzes if I am on web page that is predominately black.

If the different interface does not help you could return it under the 14 day guarantee and order another one.

Man of Honour
funnily enough i've noticed this on my U2713Hm this morning. again only does it on full screen spreadsheets and certain patterns. quite odd. not had time to experiement to see if there's a way to avoid it or a route cause

Man of Honour
it has to have text in the spreadsheet as well and it seems only certain things trigger it. a full screen of text at 18pt (approx 55 lines) seems to also trigger it

Permabanned
it has to have text in the spreadsheet as well and it seems only certain things trigger it. a full screen of text at 18pt (approx 55 lines) seems to also trigger it

I tried various types of text, and variances in screen brightness, colour temp etc as pointed out in other forums and I have yet to hear any buzzing from either of my u2713s...

Man of Honour
I tried various types of text, and variances in screen brightness, colour temp etc as pointed out in other forums and I have yet to hear any buzzing from either of my u2713s...

Drop me an email and I'll send you the sample PDF someone sent me to test out. Be interested to confirm its definitely not a feature of all samples or not

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies!

I have not tried any other interfaces on the monitor yet. My motherboard only has HDMI and Displayport. I have only tried Displayport so far. I am trying to find an HDMI cable so that I can test this connection.

This evening I plugged my new computer and monitor into the new APC surge protector I bought to protect my equipment. This did not help with the buzzing noise.

Its such a shame as this monitor is mind blowingly good. I've never experienced image quality like this before.

I'm still not sure if I can tolerate the constant buzzing noise which varies depending on what I am viewing.

I did try doing a factory reset on the monitor but this made no difference at all.

The other strange thing is, when I turn the desktop on and I'm in the BIOS screen (or at the BIOS logo when the machine initially comes on) there is zero buzzing...but as soon as the Windows desktop appears the buzzing starts.

Also, when changing between a spreadsheet, email and some website the buzzing has varying degrees of "buzziness". Its so odd. I can't believe this is normal for such a high end (and expensive) monitor!

Last edited:
Soldato
Direct from hazro

The high pitch noise originates from the T-CON board and is common on 30" monitors (regardless of brand). LGs policy is if it is >38dB, it can be claimed for under warranty - but this is under normal use and not when an all white background is constantly used. No 2 panels are ever the same and in many studios where we have fitted +200 monitors, some buzz more than others. It is not a defect - more of a nuisance.

Associate
OP
Direct from hazro

The high pitch noise originates from the T-CON board and is common on 30" monitors (regardless of brand). LGs policy is if it is >38dB, it can be claimed for under warranty - but this is under normal use and not when an all white background is constantly used. No 2 panels are ever the same and in many studios where we have fitted +200 monitors, some buzz more than others. It is not a defect - more of a nuisance.

What is Dells policy regarding this? How does one know its louder than 38dB if you don't have sound measuring equipment?

Associate
I've had at least 5 Dell 2209wa monitors replaced simply by claiming the monitor buzzed loudly. In my experience 50% seemed to buzz. You will probably need to contact Dell directly tho as such a 'fault' may be looked upon differently by your retailer.

Associate
I was reading about this issue yesterday and someone found that on their monitor mute did not work and turning the built in speakers down to 0 fixed the noise.

Associate
OP
No speakers built into this monitor...

Turning up the brightness to 100% did nothing for the buzzing. Nor did reducung the gamma.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi All

Heres the latest I tried this evening:

1) I used the HDMI port on the monitor to my laptop. This still resulted in a buzzing noise when opening spreadsheets, browsing websites etc

2) I tried a different power cord to the monitor and plugged it into a different socket in the wall. This made no difference and the buzzing continued.

3) I tried changing the refresh rate from 59hz to 60hz. This also made no difference.

4) I also tried adjusting the brightness in the Intel drivers screen but this didn't help either.

I'm out of ideas now and will be contacting OCUK support to request a replacement (I've only had it since Friday last week). I can't believe this is normal for such a high end (and expensive) monitor to make such a buzzing noise of various loudness.

At work someone next to me has two Dell 24" monitors (not sure the exact model) and neither of them make this buzzing noise. I put my ear right up to each monitor and neither made the buzzing noise. I have a 20" Dell at work and it doesn't make any buzzing sound either.

Back
Top Bottom