Why do big companies offer overclocking featues when it voids you're warranty

Associate
Hello all,

Just wanted to ask why big companies such as asus have overclocking features on their software when it voids your warranty on the processor. If a processor was meant to be overclocked, why doesn't Intel or AMD overclock them for you. Do big companies just want you to buy more software you don't really need (Even though my FanXpert suite is awesome.) I know the pro's and con's of both and I won't we overclocking on my rig.

Thanks

JCX50

Soldato
Why are ALL cars made, able to go significantly over 70mph - When you void your insurance / break the law if you go faster.

Answer - Marketing and sales

Also - Intel's Turbo Boost and AMD's TurboCore are stock OCing.
So all the OC hardward is already there for stock settings - retail boards offer 'additional' oc potential as 'added value'
Added value = more sales

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are ALL cars made, able to go significantly over 70mph - When you void your insurance / break the law if you go faster.

Answer - Marketing and sales

Also - Intel's Turbo Boost and AMD's TurboCore are stock OCing.
So all the OC hardward is already there for stock settings - retail boards offer 'additional' oc potential as 'added value'
Added value = more sales
They can't sell CPU's running at like 4.8GHZ with whatever voltage as most people won't have the cooling required to keep it under control.

What they said.

Although last time I check speeding didn't void your insurance.. only made your premiums go through the roof. :D

Associate
errm Intel do offer a warranty on overclocked cpu's

"Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel®
The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the processor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addition to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan."

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Associate
OP
errm Intel do offer a warranty on overclocked cpu's

"Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel®
The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the processor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addition to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan."

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I read in the user guide in the box with the processor, you couldn't change the clock speed or frequency

One

One

Soldato
Then they would develop it to cope?

Do you understand what overclocking is? A chip is produced to work at it best under normal cicumstances. They have to sell it to you and be sure it can be stuck in a dusty cramped case and know it won't fail within a month. Obviously if you put it in better conditions you can get more out of it. If a chip manufacturer sold you a chip that was right at the limit in their lab you could still overclock it if you bettered the conditions even more.

The client base is happy to forfeit their warranty and overclock their chips. The reward outweighs the risk.

Besides a company can't pre-overclock the chip for you, that would just be a clocked chip. Over clocking is when you make the clock faster than how it was sold.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've known people who've fried their processor through overclocking yet intel asked no questions when they returned it. So I guess overclocking is risk-free.

Back
Top Bottom