• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
The Official Accelero Xtreme 7970/50 Thread

This is the best possible heatsink placement for the best possible VRM cooling on this card using the stock heatsinks.

You need to use Accelero permanent adhesive to get the best possible hold on the heatsink. Using thermal tape/pads or the included G1 glue is not ideal. It doesn't hold well like the adhesive does. Depending on where you get the accelero from it may come with the adhesive as standard. If you get an old accelero it will come with G1 temp glue.

You can buy Adhesive from Accelero here. It will he shipped from Hong Kong. If you want the best vrm temps and the best hold, i highly recommend you use it. - http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/accessories/587/thermal-adhesive.html

e937Gvy.jpg

Notice there is a black heatsink. That is from this piece of kit here. - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=787

It was only slightly better than the stock Accelero long thin heatsink which i had there before so you can use either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wondered the same thing about the small heatsink at the bottom when I fitted mine. In the end, I went with playing it safe and just stuck to exactly the sinks in that picture as I went from the same review.

After getting it all together and in place, the only thing I would do differently would be to use the larger, angled heatsinks on the right hand side with the overhangs pointing towards the power connectors on the card. This wouldn't have any issues with clearance in this area, and it might keep what's under them (memory?) a little cooler, which never hurts.

I've seen some people moan about the glue not seeming like it's going to work, so they used thermal pads, etc. I simply used the glue they provided, put the heatsinks on at 10pm then returned to finish it off at 9am the next day. All the sinks have stayed in place during use and I've had zero issues.

I was pretty nervous doing it, but it actually was easier than I thought it'd be from the pictures, reviews, etc, and I've loved the difference in noise, temperature, noise and noise! :D

Caporegime
OP
I wondered the same thing about the small heatsink at the bottom when I fitted mine. In the end, I went with playing it safe and just stuck to exactly the sinks in that picture as I went from the same review.

Hehe thats good to know. I will probably do the same.

After getting it all together and in place, the only thing I would do differently would be to use the larger, angled heatsinks on the right hand side with the overhangs pointing towards the power connectors on the card. This wouldn't have any issues with clearance in this area, and it might keep what's under them (memory?) a little cooler, which never hurts.

Which one do you mean? Could you mark it on the picture.

I've seen some people moan about the glue not seeming like it's going to work, so they used thermal pads, etc. I simply used the glue they provided, put the heatsinks on at 10pm then returned to finish it off at 9am the next day. All the sinks have stayed in place during use and I've had zero issues.

I was going to try tape tbh, but i heard it gives slightly worse cooling performance but is much quicker and easier to install.

I was pretty nervous doing it, but it actually was easier than I thought it'd be from the pictures, reviews, etc, and I've loved the difference in noise, temperature, noise and noise! :D

Just what i needed to hear, im pretty nervous as well.

What are the vrm temps like as some people have reported higher temps on the vrms.

I take it you're not going for watercooling then?

As for your question, just try placing them on (no TIM) and see if they fit :)

No really don't like the look of tubes going everywhere, plus it sounds like a lot of hassle.

The only hot/noisy thing in my case is the 7970 and once this is (hopefully) fitted safely everything will be cool and quiet.

Soldato
Before you fit the heatsinks you remove the mounting bracket from the cooler and temp fit it to the card. This enables you to space all the sinks correctly as the mount covers part of the bottom memory chip.

I used the right angled sinks on the PWM chips the rest as the pic above.

You can download the fitting guide from here. If you follow as it says it's easy to fit. Just make sure you leave the heatsinks to set overnight at least.

http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/ax7970/manual_en.pdf

P1070540.jpg

P1070629_zpsb33eed46.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I would use the glue that comes with it tbh. If the sinks fall off you could end up with problems.

It takes a while to set but if you do it last thing at night it will be set by morning. It's worth doing properly and taking your time.

Just take note the length of the card with the cooler fitted. In my arc midi I could not fit the second card as the cooler sticks out slightly further than the drive bays.

Caporegime
OP
I would use the glue that comes with it tbh. If the sinks fall off you could end up with problems.

It takes a while to set but if you do it last thing at night it will be set by morning. It's worth doing properly and taking your time.

Just take note the length of the card with the cooler fitted. In my arc midi I could not fit the second card as the cooler sticks out slightly further than the drive bays.

Ok thanks, maybe the tape is not such a good idea then.

I definitely have enough space in my 600t as i removed the front drive bay. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Which one do you mean? Could you mark it on the picture.

At work at the moment (and sneaky posting) so better not fire up MS Paint! I was referring to the last long line of sinks on the right hand side of the picture, the ones next to the line of black square boxes with "C" on the top of them. The top one is a thinner sink, then the rest of the line are slightly thicker ones. Looking back I would have replaced all of these with the angled sinks just to give a little more surface area, but not sure this would actually make a blind bit of difference in real life.

What are the vrm temps like as some people have reported higher temps on the vrms.

Stupidly didn't ever look at my VRM temperatures with the stock cooler. I did keep an eye on them after fitting for the first few weeks as I'd seen people complaining about them. In normal use (single screen Call of Duty, or triple screen Source Engine game) I was seeing maximums of around 70-75C on one and 60Cish on the other. Under heavy use (Just Cause 2 or equally graphically intense game at 5760x1080) I was seeing maximums of 95C on one and 75C on the other. All the comments I found said the VRMs are rated to 120C and as long as it's kept below that just don't worry, so after the first few weeks I stopped worrying/monitoring them.

I have run my 7970 at 1125/1575, +20% power and stock voltage since I got it. With the stock cooler I was seeing maximum temperatures of 90-93C on the core during really intense bits of games at 5760x1080 and it was noiceably loud. With the Accelero I dropped 10C-15C off these temperatures and it's whisper quiet. At 100% the fans are about as loud as my stock cooler was at idle.

Fit, take your time, enjoy and be very happy. :D

Soldato
I wouldn't use tape tbh. Do as Moogleys said.

I hope to see a mini 'project log' with photo's when you do this, otherwise I will be disappointed. Good luck with it and remember to take your time, don't rush! :)

Caporegime
OP
Just bought this aswell mine comes tomorrow!

So does mine.

Good luck. :D

I hope to see a mini 'project log' with photo's when you do this, otherwise I will be disappointed. Good luck with it and remember to take your time, don't rush! :)

You've got two chances of me doing a build log, fat chance and no chance. :D

The only log ill be doing in the next 24 hours is on the toilet with a copy of the sun. It won't be a mini log, thats for sure.

Let me know if you want any photo's of that. :p

EDIT

Btw i decided to avoid the tape and go with the Arctic glue stuff.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I dunno, my secretary's on Christmas break. You'll have to find out yourself :p

Unless it's passive, there's no such thing as a silent cooler ;)

Btw Matt, I'd advise looking into a set of these unless it's too late :) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=

Its too late im afraid. Will try the arctic ones and see how they go.

As long as temps on the VRM/MEM stay below 85c ill be happy.

75c and below and ill be delighted.

Back
Top Bottom