Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 7th Jan 2013, 00:55   #1
Jason85
Associate

Feltham - Hounslow

Hi Guys,

Working are relocating in this area from the North, wondering what the area is like? I'm a bit sceptical about relocation as its considerably cheaper up here in Yorkshire.

Any thoughts or towns nearby to relocate to?
Jason85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 08:09   #2
SixTwoSix
Soldato

I lived in Feltham for a few months back in 2003, I broke my contract and sacrificed my housing deposit to get out of the area. One of the most horrid places i've ever had the misfortune to live.

I moved to nearby Uxbridge and instantly felt a whole lot better, not sure how it is now though.

i5 3570k 3.4Ghz @ 4.3Ghz | 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage Red @ 2400MHz
Inno3D GTX 970 "iChill Herculez X4 Air Boss Ultra" 4GB | 256GB SSD 840 Pro
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard | Corsair H55 Quiet Liquid CPU Cooler
Anidees AI-6B Tower | Barracuda Pro 2TB | Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium
SixTwoSix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 08:34   #3
xarr
Hitman

As a born and bred Londoner who would give my left leg to not have to move North, I would happily live out my days in Yorkshire (*shudders*) rather than live in Feltham. Its the rear end of London and its only distinguishing feature is its young offenders institute.

Isleworth, Twickenham, Teddington, Ashford, Shepperton and Walton are all nicer areas near by.

London is expensive, get over it.

xarr is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 08:37   #4
panthro
Capodecina

Feltham and Hounslow are total dumps and both are in very close proximity of Heathrow so it can get noisy. Don't move there. A lot of people get duped into thinking its an affordable part of greater London, but it really is a ****hole.

Look at Windsor, Walton On Thames, Weybridge, Kingston etc. They are all close by and a hell of a lot nicer.

FYI it also as a very big Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi community too.

panthro is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 08:51   #5
trigger-happy
Mobster

I live in Hounslow. DO NOT COME HERE. Its noisy because of Heathrow airport - you will lose sleep and it will affect your health. Hounslow is just a dump, There's nothing to do in Hounslow at all. Its boring and its full of old people.

Here is a a video some guy in Hounslow made. Seriously funny, watch it

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 4GHz. Corsair A50 CPU Cooler
2x ASUS 6950's unlocked in Crossfire. OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard. Antec 900W PSU
Corsair XMS3 8GB with Antec 1200 Case. Eyefinity 3x ASUS VN247H.
trigger-happy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:00   #6
darkgen
Wise Guy

Aye, I very occasionally go to the office in Brentford, which seemingly is the teaser trailer for hole-land which is Hounslow.

I'd pass.

Titan Prodigy / i7-3770K / 16GBRAM / 980Ti
QNAP TVS-471-16TB(RAID5)
PS4-PS3-Wii-PSP-3DS
darkgen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:03   #7
Spuj
Wise Guy

If you can avoid Hounslow and Feltham then I would. As mentioned try living in some places such as Sunbury, Walton, Weybridge, Shepperton etc.

It will add to your commute time if you are working in Hounslow/Feltham but it will be worth it IMO.

Spuj is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:07   #8
dirtychinchilla
Soldato

As people have said already, Feltham and Hounslow aren't wonderful. Try Ashford or Staines perhaps as they are slightly cheaper that Kingston etc.
dirtychinchilla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:15   #9
jamesaltria
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarr View Post
Isleworth, Twickenham, Teddington, Ashford, Shepperton and Walton are all nicer areas near by.

London is expensive, get over it.
I live in Ashford and it's very very slowly starting to turn into Feltham. If I were you I would try Shepperton. Went school there. Lovely area and only a 5/10 minute drive to Feltham if that's where your work is

Cooler Master Silencio 550 | Intel i5 3570k | Asus P8Z77-V | 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DDR3 1866Mhz | Corsair 650W | Corsair H80 | Intel 520 128gb SSD | GTX 670
jamesaltria is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:42   #10
toshj
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaltria View Post
Went school there. Lovely area and only a 5/10 minute drive to Feltham if that's where your work is
Me too! Avoid Feltham ans Hounslow wherever possible, but plenty of decent areas to be found.l Isleworth Old Town by the river is decent, but I'd probably head toward Hampton, Teddington, Twickenham to answer the OP.
toshj is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:44   #11
maccapacca
Underboss

Proper dump, worked there opposite the young offenders place, proper proper dump, find anywhere else, commute from Yorkshire? live in a cardboard box in Surrey?

maccapacca is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:44   #12
Janesy B
Capodecina

No.
Janesy B is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:54   #13
House
Wise Guy

I did my sandwich year from uni in Twickenham and I lived in hounslow (all i could afford becasue of really low "intern pay") for the first 6 months. I got burgled, My car had a brick thrown through the window while i was driving it, the flat next door had a hooker living in it and the one below some bloke died of a heroin overdose.

What me to tell you what i think of the place? it would be me permabanned in seconds.

After that i moved into isleworth which was bad as well but not that bad, and for the last 3 months i lived in Richmond looking after a mates flat while he was working abroad.

I have always said i will only live inside the M25 again if I can afford to live in the best areas.
House is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 11:10   #14
Arcane
Mobster

Ealing's fairly close and cheaper than Twickenham etc. Good transport links too.
Arcane is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 11:51   #15
remy87
Wise Guy

My sister lives in Feltham and yeah over the 4 years she lived there they stole a SAAB 95 from her, stole neighbors across the street BMW X5, jumped over the left neighbors fence (extension in progress) and stole a whole load of equipment, jumped over the right neighbors fence while they were on holiday to steal a PS3 and a few weeks after they tried to steal our Honda bike. Good place innit? lol
remy87 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:07   #16
panthro
Capodecina

This thread has cracked me up at all the negative replies. I was expecting my response to be critiqued by someone trying to promote Hounslow/Feltham but it seems the consensus is to stay away!

Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:14   #17
Haircut
Mobster

I see all that needed to be said about the area has already been said!
For all the stick that Staines gets it's actually a pretty nice place and probably won't cost too much more than Feltham or Hounslow.
If you're going to be based in the west then it's worth considering.
I lived in Twickenham for 8 years until recently and can highly recommend there as well, but it will cost a bit more.

Eating spaceman paninis with black Hitler
Haircut is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:21   #18
Cosimo
Man of Honour

Hounslow, Feltham and Ashford are to be avoided. I would look in the direction of Twickenham, Walton, and Kingston. Isleworth close to the river is ok.

Cosimo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:24   #19
PapaLazaru
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatorman View Post
Hounslow, Feltham and Ashford are to be avoided. I would look in the direction of Twickenham, Walton, and Kingston. Isleworth close to the river is ok.
This. Some lovely areas close by but as said above. Avoid the place to live liek the plague. There are few worse places to live within commiting distance of it.

PapaLazaru is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:26   #20
Jono8
Capodecina

As has been said, definitely aim for sunbury/walton on thames/weybridge/Kingston e.t.c

All much better areas.
Jono8 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:31   #21
Voltar
Soldato

DO NOT MOVE THERE.

I have to get the train through Feltham on the way to London from my parents house and every time I go through rank people (not a racist jibe as the asians are often the nicer clientele of South West Trains) get on the train (and you've just gone through Staines as well so feeling pretty miserable by now) and I just think thank the Lord that I am fortunate enough to not have to live here. I also just think 'take me back to my quiet leafy street in North London where it's safe'.

I've had the displeasure of getting off the train to visit a friend I no longer see in Feltham a few times. I've done the high street, been in the Wetherspoons etc and I can say this: I never would wish anyone to be so down on their luck to have to be there every day for the rest of their life.

Round Twickenham's nice enough as Kingston can also be. Have a look in Barnes- it's safe there. Also Richmond- safe there too.

"If you constantly believe you're better than everyone else, you'll never learn anything"
Voltar is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:38   #22
glen8
Soldato

I'd look for a new job

Can't imagine anything worse than living in or around London
glen8 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:39   #23
BombayMix
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
I did my sandwich year from uni in Twickenham and I lived in hounslow (all i could afford because of really low "intern pay") for the first 6 months. I got burgled, My car had a brick thrown through the window while i was driving it, the flat next door had a hooker living in it and the one below some bloke died of a heroin overdose.
Lived there for years, nothing remotely like that happened to me. Although insurance companies do complain about it being a burglary hot spot.

People in Hounslow look down on Feltham. Says a lot about Feltham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Ealing's fairly close and cheaper than Twickenham
No it isn't.
BombayMix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:43   #24
randal
Capodecina

Hounslow - a place I'll remember for having my car broken into, and reading news reports of roving gangs with chains wrapped around their fists stealing mobile phones from people.

Feltham - a place I pass through on the way to get to London via train, I often pull my bag a little closer when the train stops there.

Twickenham, Strawberry Hill, hell Whitton is even better than the above if a little too close to Hounslow for anyone's liking.

Where is your work based? If it's not too far from the A316, I'd even consider moving down the M3 corridor as once you're past the M25 junction the commute is very reasonable.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.
randal is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:52   #25
panthro
Capodecina

Staines isn't too bad at all. I'm working in Staines at the moment and it has pretty much everything you need. The only thing is that the town centre is a ghost town after 6pm.

Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:53   #26
SMN
Wise Guy

Workeed in Feltham for a while, well Bedfont Lakes, and everytime i went through it i felt like i was on safari. Horrible place.

SMN is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:57   #27
Xire
Wise Guy

Worked in Hounslow for a year. Complete dump.

Xire is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 17:19   #28
funguST
Hitman

Hah, yeah its not the nicest of places.

Uxbridge is alot nicer and close (dont move to Hayes though lol)
funguST is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 17:58   #29
Vanilla
Sgarrista

Hello, i'm from Hounslow. Born and bred. Went to St Marks, used to drink underage in Inwood park and used to fight with Hounslow manor kids in Lampton park!

Thank you for choosing to relocate to Hounslow. You, along with the hundreds of illegal immigrants all hanging around the local immigration center are most welcome!

Basically don't live here. Tell us where you need to be every day (work) and we will tell you some nice places to live within a short drive or short commute.

In my opinion Feltham isn't a bad visually but is a lot rougher.

PS - The 'H' in Hounslow is silent. It's pronounced OWNNSLAAH.
Vanilla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 18:36   #30
ste_bla
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger-happy View Post
I live in Hounslow...
Wheelhouse shut down

Used to spend most sat afternoons in there with granddad then across the road to the legion
ste_bla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote