Ml110 G7 and E3-1240 v2 Xeon CPU - unsupported?

Associate
Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone may be to help with a server/CPU compatibility issue.

I've bought a HP ML110 G7 with the G840 CPU with the intention of putting 32 GB of KTH-PL313E/8G RAM into it. I bought an E3-1240 v2 Xeon CPU to support the 32 GB RAM.

Over this weekend, before I changed the CPU, I fired up the server for the first time to make sure everything was ok and it booted without problem. I then swapped the processor and the server would not boot. It was getting stuck at the initial 'Power and Thermal Calibration in Progress' screen.

I put the G840 back in and updated all firmware including iLO to the latest revisions. I also updated to the latest BIOS. Then I swapped the CPUs again but had the same issue as before. I tried clearing the BIOS using both dip switch and removing the battery methods. Still no joy.

EDIT:
As I'm writing this, I've been doing a bit of Googling and I suspect that I've done something fairly moronic in buying the E3-1240 v2 - it's not on the CPU compatibility list for the ML110 G7, the E3-1240 is! I've just lashed out £200 on a CPU that I can't use.

I suppose my question now is, does anyone know if I can disable/change any CPU or Power settings in the BIOS to allow the E3-1240 v2 to work OR might there be plans in the pipeline to support the CPU with a future BIOS revision. Otherwise, I'm down £200. I'd be eternally grateful if anyone has any ideas. In the meantime I'm off to kick myself severely...

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Thanks for the suggestion.

I suspect that I'll just have to sell the CPU at a loss and (hopefully) learn from the experience.

If anyone knows of any BIOS settings that might let the server recoginise the v2 CPU, I'd try them. I'm still in denial about it being incompatible... :)

Yeah the ML110 G7 only supports SB based CPU's and sadly HP have no plans to add IB support as the ML110 G7 is being phased out in favour of the ML310e G8

IMO just return the E3 1240_V2 and buy a E3 1230 (not V2) as the 1230 works in the G7 and is the best price/performance ratio E3 as its a quad core HT, after that your paying through the nose for tiny MHz gains.

It's relatively straight forward to add CPU microcode to a BIOS image, assuming you have the raw .bin/.rom file for the BIOS, know who makes the BIOS, and have a BIOS image for a machine (doesn't need to be the same server) that does support the CPU in question.

Post it up (if you have it, HP are notorious for bundling them into unextractable executables) and I'll have a look.

Back
Top Bottom