Choo Choo

Associate
Santa bought me this wee beastie for Christmas:

train1.jpg

I've spent the last 3 weeks or so formulating a plan as to what precisely to do with it....

The amount of available space is quite small, the power supply sits in the cab, the hard drive sits underneath that and the atomiser, motors and optical take up the front of the engine unit. Shown here with the powers supply removed:

engint2.jpg

The mini itx form factor motherboard sits on risers in the carriage and with restricted length and depth to the case a full height/length graphics card won't fit:

carint2.jpg

So I have a loose plan:

I shall replace the manual switching arrangement (pictured above) for the motors with optical sensors attached to an Arduino and Motor Controller board. This will give me PWM control of the train as well as programmable control of the atomiser and proposed steam train sound generator board.

The cumbersome battery arrangement at the back which powers the atomiser and motors will get replaced with something bespoke located somewhere on the train. (I did say a loose plan) :)

Once those bits are done the case and importantly back panel are free for minor redesigns hopefully enabling a low profile graphics card to fit, a Sapphire 6670 is the current plan along with an ASRock Mini ITX FM2 board and A10 5800. In effect a budget dual GPU setup in a tiny box.

Cooling looks less than impressive as standard, just a single 120mm fan at the front of the carriage sucking air in, redesigning the back panel will allow me to fit dual 60mm fans blowing air out which should help. I may be able to redesign the bottom of the carriage to help cool the graphics card or even get it to fit but the design is more complex.

Oh, and lastly, the track is nearly 3m long so I shall use just 2m of it against a shallow silhouette backdrop inspired by a fallout 3 style environment with lighting to match in the train and backdrop.

Cheers chaps. :)

Progress is slow as I am buying parts individually due to lack of funds, but I have the ASRock Mini ITX motherboard, which was handily on this weeks special. I also have a Arduino Nano, which is very tiny, amazing.

But, this post is to document my new endpanel for the carriage of the train and get a bit of feedback.

Here's the original end panel, I scanned it:

endpan1.jpg

The red doodle is just stuff I didn't need. I traced the scan to get a vector drawing and came up with this:

endpan2.jpg

I found a website which tested fan grills and found the best compromise on noise and throughput were wire grills, so I am thinking of fitting black wire ones on the first build.

I did have these from an old Shuttle:

fans1.jpg

They are 60mm slimline fans.

So, I took that vector drawing in DXF format to a local printers with a laser cutter, sadly they don't cut aluminium but they knocked up one in clear 1.5mm acrylic for me for a stunning £5:

endpan3.jpg

And:

endpan4.jpg

I would like the panel to match the train, satin black with a lumpy finish and I guess the tin backplate of the motherboard is going to look rubbish.

So, spray the backplate or bin the backplate and have the holes for the connectors directly in the endpanel.

Anyway, so far I am dead chuffed (no pun intended) to get the fans in, I have moved them 1mm to the right to centre them up. And, it looks as if there is plenty of room for the low profile GFX card which I shall hopefully get next week.

Just a quickie.

I have now got the train up and running. :)

For Christmas a Gigabyte F2A85XN Motherboard, AMD A10-6800K and a WD 1TB Hard Drive arrived down the chimney. :)

I spent yesterday evening assembling it all and it is all running and looks great.

I will spend the day tidying it up and getting all the software in and then post some pics of all work to date, including the cable braiding etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom