Do i need a tv license?

Associate
OK so my tv license ran out at the end of the year, December, but i dont watch Live TV as i am always out when something is on i want to watch. so i decided not to pay.

Today i got a letter through the post that i am now being put under watch and will be monitored and could face a £1k fine.

i own a tv but the aerial is not plugged in, i do use it but only for on demand services which i know i dont need a license for and also for films i own streaming from my pc.

am i right that they cant touch me and i dont need a license?

Soldato
You need a license if your TV is capable of receiving a feed. Doesn't matter that it is not plugged in.

Associate
OP
You need a license if your TV is capable of receiving a feed. Doesn't matter that it is not plugged in.

Are you sure about that? i cant find anything that says that is the case? but i only did a quick google, all i can find is it saying that you need a license if you watch tv programs not if you actually just own a tv.

what if you just play xbox on it... surely they cannot expect you to pay a license for that.

Soldato
Wow, I wondered when we would get another of these. We have them every two weeks lol.

BDEE is talking through his ****. You don't.

If you don't recieve live broadcasts, write to tell them you no longer require a tv licence. Allow a TVL office to visit if they so wish to verify that you don't. Rinse and repeat every two years.

Soldato
Just ignore the letters and on the odd chance that they actually come to the door, don't tell them anything apart from "go away".

Man of Honour

Why give out rubbish info. Which is the total opposite off what the actual law is.

As long as you do not watch or record live broadcasts, then you do not need a license.

If you want the letters to stop, you can write to them saying you don't need a tv license. This has stopped it for some, but not others.

Soldato
dont pay it,

ignore the letters,

if they ever turn up at your door, say this,

"I refuse to answer any of your question, nor will I tell you who I am, but as a representative of the BBC Licence Fee, you or anyone else is forever forbidden to step on this property, if you do so, it will be treated as trespass, and the police will be called"

and try and record it on your phone,

job done

Soldato
You don't need a license just for owning a tv capable of receiving a signal. They can't prove you watch live tv, so just say "i don't watch the tv at all, it's only used for games consoles and dvd's.

There are plenty of threads about this on here. Search those for the quickest answers.

Associate
We had some license folk come round yesterday (on a frisk ken Sunday?!) asking to do an inspection. We haven't paid, but only use on demand services (iplayer and Netflix), no live tv. Seems we have to fill in a form online saying we don't a license. I wonder if I should let them in if they want an inspection.

Soldato
We only watch catch up TV, I do use my TV for PS3/PC though and watch the catch up through it.

We've had several letters over the years and we just keep filling in the online form again. From what I can tell anyway is the aerial that runs down the outside wall has been cut at some point and wouldn't get signal anyway.

Just fill out the online form and forget about it, seems everyone is out to get your money nowadays.

Soldato
Yep if you watch on demand they cant do any thing its only LIVE broadcastings.

BUT you may need to prove that you only watch on demand.

I mean if there is an ariea pluged in lets be honest they will think yeah right mate your lieing so need to prove it tbh.

Back
Top Bottom