M1 variable speed cameras - J10-13

Soldato
Does anyone know if these are active as everyone seems to ignore them? If they aren't why are they there?

Also as there are at least 6 cameras in that stretch would you lose your licence if you set all of them off in one trip?

:confused:

Associate
I have always wondered this when driving through variable speed cameras. Majority of people seem to be about 70 not exaggerated when I do 50-55 which is within the (50) tolerance limit as 10% +1mph is it?

Soldato
its the same on the M6, loads of them yet everyone seems to do 85-90, makes me worried sometimes going through them
someone in a southbound lane triggered a camera on thursday night on the M6, no idea how fast they were going as it was dark and i was on the other side heading north but they do work clearly, its the first time i've seen them activate, and like you i have seen people go through them at clearly well over 70 and not trigger the camera:confused:

Soldato
They are there to scare but I thought they had to be bright yellow before they can nick you for speeding.

My car struggles over 70 anyway and haven't had any tickets from my sister speeding it through them so they are just sign posted to scare drunks for now...

Soldato
someone in a southbound lane triggered a camera on thursday night on the M6, no idea how fast they were going as it was dark and i was on the other side heading north but they do work clearly, its the first time i've seen them activate, and like you i have seen people go through them at clearly well over 70 and not trigger the camera:confused:

Ah you must have been further up, the only bit i see is the east/west part from the A14 until the M54 turnoff, still they must have been hoofing it to set them off, I've never seen any of them on that road get set off!

Associate
Although not on the motorway, in my area theres around 15 speed and traffic cameras.
But know for a fact only 4 work, brother inlaw empties them.

Commissario
Not all the gantries have them installed, if you use the pocketgpsworld database, it shows the ones that have cameras in them. They're also not active if the speed limit hasn't been reduced from 70.

Associate
Not all the gantries have them installed, if you use the pocketgpsworld database, it shows the ones that have cameras in them. They're also not active if the speed limit hasn't been reduced from 70.

This is not 100% correct. I have seen them flash around junction 9 southbound when a car went speed past me. There was no speed limit being displayed.

Soldato
I travel up and down the country on a daily basis so I see these cameras a lot. I have been in the passenger seat when the driver has driven through them faster than the speed displayed on the sign. He never got flashed. I drive through them at 77 - 80 (GPS speed) when they're not lit up and I'm always fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are loads of average speed clocks on the M62 near the roadworks in Leeds. The limit is 50 mph but I always see people doing 60-70mph overtaking me.

Average speed cameras are different from variable speed cameras.

I often do a ton down to Nottingham and have never had anything come through about it. Only noticed other week that they have actually put some cameras up on behind the variable speed signs.

They are only in use when the variable speed limit is up.

Think there is 10mph fresh hold on them. Well I heard this from a taxi driver so don't take it as fact. Sure someone else here might have more on them.

Soldato
I was led to believe that only certain cameras of the M62 ones are active at any time, a friend of mine was caught at J29-30 by them doing 55mph, 3pts £60

Associate
I believe they are only active when the temporary speed limits are displayed. I've been through them at a gps ~80 leptons hundreds of times.

I also stick the cruise on at 55 in the average sections. It's way too tedious to do a variable 45-50 with everyone else.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;23726220 said:
Errr, no.

Just because 3 people see you commit an offence doesn't mean you've comitted 3 offences.

I think he's referring to the fact they have the cameras every mile or so. Speed through them all and you will get 6 sp50s

Back
Top Bottom