• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Uncaught FSODs - moved here from Software as per suggestion

Associate
I recently bought a 7950 crossfire arrangement, it works until i play FarCry3 and some instances of Youtube.

1. Total freeze - can't access TaskManager. Have to use RESET buttton.
2. Total freeze - can't access TaskManager and my Keyboard/Mouse LED's turn off, but screen and sound remain stuck. Have to use RESET buttton.
3. Partial freeze - W7 remains intact, catches error and allows me to access TaskManager and/or press the now windowed game's CloseWindow button.

Problem was the following: At a seemingly random time, the computer would freeze in one of the three ways stated above. At first it was only 1 and 2. So cleaned my PC of all drivers and software for my GPU setup, Defragged, wiped clean space and ran a registry cleaner. Followed by a reinstall of everything removed. Tested FarCry3 and got multiple instances of type 3, until i used the HBAO setting and got either a 1 or a 2, set HDAO for a mix of crashes. It has returned to being either a 1 or a 2 again. So i have multiple questions that need answering, such as why does this happen in said ways and why do my peripherals die are the first two of many really.

Side notes: Temps seem normal, i log CoreTemp readings and no core surpassed 72C before crash. Crashes in other games which are very rare are always handled to the best of my memory. I have tested my CPU and Memory and they seem to be ok. The errors that were caught are logged as FC_d3d11.dll errors.The catastrophic failures have no logs, which suggests that it's a new interface problem between W7 Kernel and ATI drivers for this game, i think.

RAID 0 SSD x2 (14Gb empty)
Z77XGDA-UD5
I73770K 4.5GHZ
8GB DDR3 2.4GHZ
7950 x2XFIRE via HDMI cable (ASUS 900Mhz/1250Mhz/1094Mv and Saphire 830Mhz/1xxxMhz/08xxMv) ASUS is the primary with the HDMI output used and Saphire is the slave set to mimick ASUS. MSI Afterburner sets both cards to 1000/1450/1094Mv.
750Watt PSU Bronze80+

I will add information as of when i can to this post in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update of testing: Just had crash type 1 with the stock settings for the ASUS card for both cards. Will now test with default rates for the Sapphire on both.

Update of testing: With the default sapphire settings i chose, i had crash type 1 after a few minutes.

New Sidenote: I wanted to check which card was which just for diligence, in MSI After Burner i switch Master GPU to number 2 and pressed the reset button and was given a default clock of 950Mhz/1250Mhz/(1094Mv presumably because ASUS needs at least that). I think my second card is this rather than this I opened the case and it looks like the OC edition.

Last edited:
Associate
Try running at 800mhz core, 1250mhz vram and 1150 mv (settings that any working 7950 should have no trouble with) or/and test each individually as a preliminary to see whether its a case of unstable oc/voltages or dodgy card.

Associate
OP
Try running at 800mhz core, 1250mhz vram and 1150 mv (settings that any working 7950 should have no trouble with) or/and test each individually as a preliminary to see whether its a case of unstable oc/voltages or dodgy card.

I tested 800, but ran out of time as i had to be somewhere and testing requires me to play FarCry3. The card looks identical to the OC version, how can i assess whether the BIOS is default, is there some mechanism by which i can compare the card's architecture to expected architectures through some AMD application?

Also, i don't know whether you read the whole of my initial post, but, i can play all sort of other GPU intensive games like BF3, Crysis2, RO2 for hours on end without problems.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update: the Sapphire is the OC edition according to seller, meaning 950/1250. I measured VDDC for both cards and they are different. This must be a FarCry3 issue no? Please chime in..

Associate
OP

I've tested both cards at 1000Mhz/1450Mhz/1094mV for 2 hours each alone using the stability test that AIDA64 provides. The lower card, Sapphire, get's about 15C-20C hotter than ASUS, but that's because it sits below. No crashes nor anything else remotely worrying.

The part of all this that concerns me the most is the way the whole OS fails to respond when a severe error takes place in FarCry3 and once or twice in YouTube. Should i raise VDDC to 1150mV for both cards and if so, why?

Associate
1150mv is a a safe voltage bump (temps permiting), just to check whether it could be due to instability. Some games are more sensitive than others to unstable overclocks and it could be FC3 was highlighting the instability. My intial suspicion was that the saphire could be struggling at 1000mhz core. Upping the voltage and lowering the clocks were simply to set them both at speeds and voltage most(all imo) fully working 7950's shuold be able to operate at (again temps permiting).

Having said that farcry3 is a little unpolished (at least when I played it), is it up to date and are you using the latest drivers?
When you tested each card individually at 1000mhz/1450/1094mv it ran FC3 without crashing?

Also how hot does the sapphire get? Some 7950's really dont like higher temperatures, Mine doesn't like to go above 1050 core unless I keep core temp below 65C and the vrm's below ~75C.

Is the youtube caused crash flash related? Could be just flash being a PITA or perhaps the 2D clocks/volts are an unstable combination on one of the cards.

Associate
OP
1150mv is a a safe voltage bump (temps permiting), just to check whether it could be due to instability. Some games are more sensitive than others to unstable overclocks and it could be FC3 was highlighting the instability. My intial suspicion was that the saphire could be struggling at 1000mhz core. Upping the voltage and lowering the clocks were simply to set them both at speeds and voltage most(all imo) fully working 7950's shuold be able to operate at (again temps permiting).

Having said that farcry3 is a little unpolished (at least when I played it), is it up to date and are you using the latest drivers?
When you tested each card individually at 1000mhz/1450/1094mv it ran FC3 without crashing?

Also how hot does the sapphire get? Some 7950's really dont like higher temperatures, Mine doesn't like to go above 1050 core unless I keep core temp below 65C and the vrm's below ~75C.

Is the youtube caused crash flash related? Could be just flash being a PITA or perhaps the 2D clocks/volts are an unstable combination on one of the cards.

The Sapphire is the OC version meaning it's default state is 950Mhz/1250Mhz. The tests i ran were using AIDA64 stability profiling, it's a system burner. Sapphire reaches 75C Diode and 84C VRAM. Youtube hasn't crashed since i reinstalled all the drivers. I bought one card, set it all up, bought another, after reinstalling everything clean onto the crossfire setup that problem has disappeared. It is just FC3.

Soldato
^yep.

Take everything to stock, cpu, memory and both cards, if possible remove one card and try each individually and test.

Also what brand psu do you have?

Associate
OP
Read what people are saying: put it back to stock. It sounds like you've got an unstable OC.

I have read what people have said. I have tested stock on both cards. The game just crashed on sub-stock levels with 1150mV. It isn't an unstable GPU OC which is obvious if you read my initial post.

I'm starting to think i need to down-clock my CPU.

Permabanned
What did you stress test the cpu overclock with? Did you not use prime or even better a short burst of IBT @ maximum?

I dont think your that far off stability though as your errors are not blue screening or forcing a reboot all the time.
3. Partial freeze - W7 remains intact, catches error and allows me to access TaskManager and/or press the now windowed game's CloseWindow button.

Up the volts a little on the CPU and get stuck in with FC3.I get the exact same thing when i push 4700 and 1866 ram at 8.8.8.24-1T UDK.exe crash after an hour.Nothing major probably needs just a tad more volts to keep it happy.

Back
Top Bottom