Getting 3.0Ghz on i7 920 D0 + P6TD

Permabanned
Currently running i7 920 D0 at stock on Asus P6TD.
Perfectly stable, of course.

Just installed SSD, and now WEI says my CPU is the lowest score - altho I know WEI is a moron, this bugs the hell out of me, because I know I have an ideal mobo for overclocking my cpu.

However... All the info out there is aimed at 4.0Ghz.

But I only have a AC Frezer 7 Pro. It's fine... I've got a few degrees to play with... lets say 5c is what I'm willing to add.

So I think 3.0Ghz would be a decent first target.

I found some info about setting the bclk to 150 and leaving voltage on auto - this consistently crashes during windows loading screen.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-3.html

That makes me think I need to set the voltage - but I'm clueless as to what to set it to, and not 100% sure how to set it (altho I can probably work that out).

Any advice?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
A better cooler will certainly help, 65c is high but ok, thats to be expected with the cooler. Stick something like a secondhand thermalright ultra extreme on it, (20 quid ono) and you should hit 3.8, - 4.0ghz with a bit of tweaking. This cooler fits fine on the p6td and doesnt block ram slots. Used one to get a 920 to 4.2ghz, temps maxing at 77c.

Permabanned
OP
Really trying to avoid replacing the cooler - don't want to risk messing up a perfectly fine system, just trying to get a little extra out of it.

Also don't really want to spend money on a new cooler. Also restricted by what coolers will fit in my case.

I didn't increase the voltage from 2.67 to 3.0 - just left it on auto. I presume it automatically increased the voltage a bit, but it hasn't made much difference to temps. I'm expecting to be able to get 3.33 on auto too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Auto is definitely not good on a hot running cpu such as theese, youll only find your cooler struggling even more. Once you start upping the bclk, on auto the vcore will climb rapidly, often adding way more than whats really needed. End result is some pretty high temps.

dram should be 1.65v, but 1.66v is fine as the board only allows increases in two's.

Soldato
set both manually the ram isnt such a worry as the board wont go mental with the volts...but cpu temps on these chips rises massively. at stock volts most will get 3.4 snd with a little bump 3.8, i found 4ghz and above needed a bigger boost.

Permabanned
OP
thanks bros - making good progress now:

CPU: 166 x 20 = 3.320 GHz @ 1.18v
RAM: 1333 @ 1.50v

quick blast on prime: 64C

The next step on the ram would be 1667 (more than 1600) at 1.64v - any experience as to whether that's likely to work?

Caporegime
It may work as 67 is a very slight oc on the ram. The alternative is to use the 21x multiplier and lower the bclk a touch and see what memory frequencys this opens up. Ideally when clocking the cpu, you want to take the ram out of the equation till you get the cpu stable. This means running the ram below it's rated speed and timings. I found on the asus board, using the 20x multi needed a bit more cpu vcore compared to 21x.

Permabanned
OP
Did a separate test to measure the benchmark difference between 1333 and 1600 - it's about 2%. So I'm not going to take risks with the RAM for that.

Quite happy with the current overclock - 24% improvement, and I'm not even convinced that 1.18v is any more than was going through it anyway. So this might essentially be 'free' performance.

Will give it a proper stability test over the weekend, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Massive props to setter + Sayso :D

Back
Top Bottom