Virgin Mobile admits capping download

Soldato
The death of virgin as a network for smartphone users, all the old folk who think phones are for calls and texts must be their target customer base, the tenner every couple of months payg crowd, they should just call themselves virgin2G®.

Man of Honour
Good news, will hopefully discourage the mickey takers who download gigs of stuff. For general mobile use I am happy with 2 mbit anyway.

Associate
[TW]Fox;23879472 said:
Good news, will hopefully discourage the mickey takers who download gigs of stuff. For general mobile use I am happy with 2 mbit anyway.

What has speed got to do with the amount you download..?

They should invest in their infrastructure rather then skimp out and cap everyone. The fact their cable speeds are also dyer peak times really isn't helping this company.

Associate
Used to work for Vm back in the early days, piggy back of the back of t mobile formerly 121.
Great ideas, **** marketing scheme, loads of **** phones (which is still the case), poorly trained cust services then to top it off they shut it and moved up north.

People constantly griping about the signal, the limited options for billing etc.

Soldato
Could explain why my mum was unable to download an app from the Play store last Sunday even though she had a very good signal (could search for apps but it will not download). A pity since she only just renewed her contract with Virgin... I warned her about how poor Virgin is :p.

Associate
I moved to virgin mobile a month or two ago but recently I've found that 3g (or any data access for that matter) has been virtually non-existent in central London.

I use my iPhone for syncing my emails, a bit of mobile browsing and checking bus/train/tube times/delays. I don't stream video and I don't download large files. In a typical month I'll use perhaps 500mb of data.

My experience has been that virgin is useless for data. 90% of the time I find that while my signal strength is fine (and I can make/receive calls and text messages) I can't connect to web pages or use apps that require a data connection. Typically the connection times out or I encounter proxy error pages (clearly Virgin run transparent proxies to cache data within their network).

While I was with O2 (with the same data usage) I was always able to connect - it might have been slow at times but it always worked. Given I'm on a monthly contract I'm going to be voting with my feet and moving to a new network next week. Just need to decide who!

Permabanned
I moved to virgin mobile a month or two ago but recently I've found that 3g (or any data access for that matter) has been virtually non-existent in central London.

I use my iPhone for syncing my emails, a bit of mobile browsing and checking bus/train/tube times/delays. I don't stream video and I don't download large files. In a typical month I'll use perhaps 500mb of data.

My experience has been that virgin is useless for data. 90% of the time I find that while my signal strength is fine (and I can make/receive calls and text messages) I can't connect to web pages or use apps that require a data connection. Typically the connection times out or I encounter proxy error pages (clearly Virgin run transparent proxies to cache data within their network).

While I was with O2 (with the same data usage) I was always able to connect - it might have been slow at times but it always worked. Given I'm on a monthly contract I'm going to be voting with my feet and moving to a new network next week. Just need to decide who!

I've just cancelled VM & gone with 3.
It's early days yet but so far 3 ain't been too bad.
You have to pay for sms delivery reports though, it was free with VM

Associate
I've just cancelled VM & gone with 3.
It's early days yet but so far 3 ain't been too bad.
You have to pay for sms delivery reports though, it was free with VM

I use a 3 data sim in my iPad (now that one I do stream video with ;) ) and haven't had any issues with it in the year that I've had it so they're probably who I'll end up with.

Tempted to get an Xperia Z though, so may see if anyones doing any decent offers on it!

Back
Top Bottom