• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI Titans Overclocked and tested at 5760 x 1080 and in 3D

Caporegime
Finaly finished testing my SLI titans in 2D and 3D in surround (5760x1080) I used a stable overclock of +140 on the core and +200 on the memory for all the 3D tests but not tested with an overclock on 2D surround testsing. I will be doing more testing and will do overclocked tests as well for 2D as well as 1080P single Titan testing.

Here is the 3D surround results. All settings were ultra and I let the application turn down AA (some games don't allow AA or a max of x2).

3dchartstitan.jpg

All the games felt smooth except for FarCry 3. This was a stuttering mess and I feel newer drivers should/could cure this. All the other games ran very smooth and felt very good. Bulletstorm was a strange one because I turned off V-Sync but it still remained at 60 but I left it like that because it is a game that looks very good in 3D (I used flawless widescreen for this game). I wa surprised how good Tomb Raider looked in 3D and especially a certain element of Lara croft stood out (anyone who plays Tomb Raider in 3D will know what I mean). Gorgeous looking game in 3D regardless of the extra benefits.

Here is the 2D surround results but remember there is no overclocks on the GPU's. That will come with my next tests.

TITANCHARTS3RDMARCH.jpg

As you can see, Crysis 3 was the toughest and it never felt smooth. Again FarCry 3 was the worst and was still a stuttering mess.

And this is how it compares to my old SLI 680 results.

SEPCHARTS.jpg

As for the price of £1660 for 2 Titans and do I think it was worth it.... I have to say no. The increase in performance is sweet and it now allows me to play all games maxed out but for the massive extra cost, it just isn't warranted. If the price was £1200 or even £1400, I would have said "Worth it" but it is a lot of money to pay out for all the bells and whistles. I wouldn't send them back though, so I am contradicting myself but I do wish they were a little cheaper.

Edit:

1080P single card results:

titanbenchresults1080p.jpg

Here is the overclocked Titan results at 5760 x 1080 with an OC of +130 Core/+200 Memory

5760x1080SLITitansoverclockedresults.jpg

Some very nice fps boost over stock Titans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good improvement on 680 SLi, but not sure if it's £1660 worth of improvement :eek:

Good on ya for benchmarking all that lot though, will give others food for thought.

Now go and play some games!!

Associate
Awesome rig, Gregster. I do agree on the pricing. If it was £1200 for two I'd have bought. I'll wait for prices to come down. Not that I find a lot of time for gaming anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Awesome rig, Gregster. I do agree on the pricing. If it was £1200 for two I'd have bought. I'll wait for prices to come down. Not that I find a lot of time for gaming anyway.

Cheers Xsistor :) The price is hard to justify. It was made slightly easier to swallow by selling my 680's first and at a fairly good price. If buying from scratch though, I can see why a few have called for Nvidia's blood. Drop the price £200 (that will be the gouging) and I can see a few more jumping on these.

Man of Honour

When it comes to bang for buck there are worse options than the Titans

You could buy 2 of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-302-AS

Or 3 Titans for about the same price, but when it comes to performance the Titans win hands down.

I am not saying the Titan is good value for money but there are worse options out there.

Associate
Awesome test ! thank you :D

I will stick to my GTX 670 for a while though... I learned my lesson not just to give in to the newest and latest.
Back in September 2012 where I upgraded my 3x GTX 580 to 3x GTX 670 I kind of regretted it because the boost was 27% at it's very best... I should have sticked with the GTX 580s... because then I could have had enough $ for GTX Titan SLi now :p

Caporegime
OP
When it comes to bang for buck there are worse options than the Titans

You could buy 2 of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-302-AS

Or 3 Titans for about the same price, but when it comes to performance the Titans win hands down.

I am not saying the Titan is good value for money but there are worse options out there.

I couldn't agree more Kaap. The Ares2 is nice but priced a little OTT.

Another way to look at it is: performance Vs performance.

2 * Titans = >3 * 680's. You would need the 4GB 680's for getting all the details on at higher resolutions.

YOUR BASKET
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Assassin's Creed III & FTP Currency £539.99 (£1,619.97)
Total : £1,631.36 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Vs

YOUR BASKET
2 x Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £899.99 (£1,799.98)
Total : £1,811.38 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Now remember the price has shot up from £830 each, so on old prices, it would be £1660. So for £30 more, you are getting better performance and scaling than 3*680's in most games. Very immature drivers as well and I expect a nice boost in later drivers.

Soldato
Great info buddy, a lot of work went into that too, probably going to have to get the cataracts sorted after all that 3D testing.

Main thing is your happy with the performance given on your setup and that is where those Titans shine bright.

All settings were ultra and I let the application turn down AA (some games don't allow AA or a max of x2).

Didn't know any titles were playable with any AA at all as you can't(technically you can but imo, you wouldn't want to) using Tridef, I don't know if you can with game specific native 3D as I always switch it off anyway due to habit.

Hopefully my order arrives today as it should and I don't get a lazy delivery driver, and then it will be time to fire up the big bouncers as I asked 5UB to change the game codes because I already have Crysis 3.:D

Man of Honour
I couldn't agree more Kaap. The Ares2 is nice but priced a little OTT.

Another way to look at it is: performance Vs performance.

2 * Titans = >3 * 680's. You would need the 4GB 680's for getting all the details on at higher resolutions.

YOUR BASKET
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Assassin's Creed III & FTP Currency £539.99 (£1,619.97)
Total : £1,631.36 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Vs

YOUR BASKET
2 x Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £899.99 (£1,799.98)
Total : £1,811.38 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Now remember the price has shot up from £830 each, so on old prices, it would be £1660. So for £30 more, you are getting better performance and scaling than 3*680's in most games. Very immature drivers as well and I expect a nice boost in later drivers.

I think once the Titan has been available for a while the price will settle down around the £750 mark.

Soldato
Thanks Greg. You say all games felt smooth (except FC3 of course), does that mean some of those sub-20 minimums are spikes/scene changes? Would be interesting to see the fps-over-time data. :)

Anyway nice to see you got your rig back in fighting form after the gap between selling your last cards and now. :D

Caporegime
OP
Thanks Greg. You say all games felt smooth (except FC3 of course), does that mean some of those sub-20 minimums are spikes/scene changes? Would be interesting to see the fps-over-time data. :)

Anyway nice to see you got your rig back in fighting form after the gap between selling your last cards and now. :D

I did some frame latency tests as well. I will show my results. It is great being back gaming. I was surprised how much I missed it when it wasn't available :)

Soldato
I think once the Titan has been available for a while the price will settle down around the £750 mark.

Yea but people who buys such the price wont matter.
I can buy 3 7970 for the price of one titan here.
or 6 7970 for 2 titans.
So for the price of one Titan I can run 7970 trifire.
I know what I would have bought.
Then I could make the smarter choice and got 3x7950 for a price less than one Titan and still get more performance.

The point is moot though since again the price shouldnt be a factor when you buy such cards. Just buy enjoy, and eat noodles for a few months or get a divorce :D

Back
Top Bottom