asrock 990 extreme 3

Associate
can any 1 help im stumped ive just had a amd 8350 and asrock 990 extreme 3 and for some reason it keeps throttling back to 1400mhz once my cpu hits 30 degrees and cputin hits 50 degrees. ive disabled all power managment and thermal throttle in the bios but has no effect.

any ideas im starting to think the board is no good ?

Soldato
What are your VRM temps?

The throttling your experiencing could be because of high VRM temps. 8350 is quite the power guzzler under load and this can put strain on low power phasing boards. I think your board is only 4+1, so its quite the possibility.

Associate
OP
the board dont got vrm temp and it throttles after about 10 seconds then once its warmed up it throttles back every 5 seconds.

im annoyed with it cause its a new build and just gone over to amd after not using for over 12 years, all so brought a new cooler thinking my old 1 was duff when it was working perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it warms the VRM heatsink that quickly, it's definately the VRM's throttling you. You may want to try directing some air towards them but if your experience throttling almost straight away, it likely wont make much difference. Asrock boards with low power phasing have a bit of a rep for exploding VRM's.

If it is your VRM's and you cant cool them, a better motherboard is probably your only option. If it's new, you can return it and swap it for something like this:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard £89.99
Total : £99.89 (includes shipping : £8.25).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yer defo getting returned Monday as its faulty. Over heating vrm with no case panels on at load. And all other components are nice and cool. Really can tell the board was not designed for piledriver.

Associate
AHA, same issue here but with an FX 6200.

I thought it was my CM Siedon 120m CPU cooler and put in a thread in the OC/ cooling section.

These boards should have a caveat!

Back
Top Bottom