• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Can Be Flashed To GeForce GTX 770.

Soldato
GeForce-GTX-770.gif

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...utm_campaign=Feed:+Wccftechcom+(WCCFtech.com)

Soldato
OP
Seems academic.....just manually overclock your 680 to the same effect....

Yeah, I think it's more interesting as it kinda confirms the 770 really is the 680 rebranded.

The only benefit I can think of flashing is possibly higher voltage ;)

Also higher stock memory clocks / timings.

Flashing is done at a risk though...

Associate
With 53+ to the clock speed and 250+ to the memory clock speed in evga precision I get the same pixel fillrate and bandwidth with my 680's.

I wonder if it'll effect the voltage and overclockability of them though, worth a try I guess.

Soldato
Yeah, I think it's more interesting as it kinda confirms the 770 really is the 680 rebranded.

The only benefit I can think of flashing is possibly higher voltage ;)

Also higher stock memory clocks / timings.

Flashing is done at a risk though...

THIS!! If flashing can somehow unlock the voltage or put it up higher then this is good news for us that have watercooled their cards. It would mean being able to push it even further.

However I have no idea how to flash my gtx 680 and have never flashed a gfx card before...

Soldato
I think nVidia are moving away from allowing increasing voltages, Kepler was certainly indicative of that.

Only the hardcore benchers who hard mod their cards have had any luck with voltage increase it seems.

Soldato
OP
It cannot, the hardware does not exist on the board.

That's a shame, crafty of Nvidia limiting the voltage so..

I guess there is an incentive to buy the 770's if they clock well. Otherwise everyone would have just flashed lol.

Well there goes flashing the card then, now it just seems utterly pointless does it not?

Yep, at least we know the 770 really is a modified 680. Means the 780 is likely to have the specs leaked. If it occupied the previous 680 price slot it would be a very nice card for the money. Of course Nvidia could price it sky high :o

bru

bru

Soldato
So if I understand this, they are saying that you can flash the bios and turn a 680 to a 770 except that the memory speed isn't guaranteed, the voltage doesn't have the necessary hardware and the cooler is completely different.

Yes sounds like a really good idea :p

Last edited:
Soldato
You can increase the voltage with bios flash on 680 but not by much only up to 1.2125V

I believe if you flash a 680 with a higher voltage than 1.2125V the cards hardware throttling kicks in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just had a look at the 770 Bios, it actually has a voltage of 1150, the memory clock is very high, quite a lot of bandwidth, some tweaks have obviously been made. I still think the 700 could be a very nice card is priced well..

lPoV7m7.png

Soldato
Yep, at least we know the 770 really is a modified 680. Means the 780 is likely to have the specs leaked. If it occupied the previous 680 price slot it would be a very nice card for the money. Of course Nvidia could price it sky high :o

But lets be honest here, we already know it will be priced sky high because if you look at how much the titan is now on the price chart and look at where the 680 is price wise and we now know the 770 is really a rebranded and tweaked 680 then we can be sure that the 780 will be midpoint between the 680 price and the titan price which would be around say £550-£600? They just wouldn't price it at the same price as the current 680 because the 770 equals the performance + a little more unless they significantly drop the price of the 600 series cards prior to launch lol which I highly doubt.

It's very cheeky/sneaky of them though to launch the titan when they did so they can raise the bar of the 700 series cards accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom