• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rattling fans

Soldato
OK I have a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 660 , Only got it a couple of months back ..Link below

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-109-GI&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2379

Yesterday I took it out of my case and gave it a bit of a clean to get rid of all the dust I could , they needed a good clean out , ...I took the screws out of the fans so I could get to the underside of the fan blades ...all went well and I put the Card back in......only last night when I was on BF3 I was hearing a " Rattle " that I had not heard before ....and it only happens when the card fans kick in .....so....I took the card out and made sure the little tiny screws were sitting soundly ...that done, replaced the card and again I was hearing .....fan rattling when the card fans kick in ....so took the card out...again .....it seems to be the fan that is closest to the input ports on the card ie where i have my DVI and HDMI inputs.....there isn't anything that I can see that is touching the fan itself ....so either I've mucked up the fan myself...and that's unlikely I was very careful and gentle ...or this is just a result of wear and tear or that fan is on its way out ?

I would appreciate any help and/or advice please :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's a Sleeve bearing fan then that particular fans reservoir oil might have emptied.

Sleeve bearing fans you can self-service via filler cap on rear side with machine oil (As in the sort you would get with sowing machine etc, not WD40), providing there's a reservoir cap on rear under the sticker.

No reservoir cap then best to RMA card.

Edit: quick google search suggests most Windforce coolers use Sleeve bearing fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I've actually been using Afterburner and that's when I heard it , Again tonight also ....had the Fans up @65% and no noise....put them up to 70% and I then began to hear it .

I'm gonna have another check at the fans again in the morning...just to make sure no little wires are catching the blades

So I may spend an hour or two looking at Graphics cards tonight lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In below example from 0:55 onwards; you can hear what a sleeve bearing fan tends to sound like when in dire need of reservoir top up :)

Sound similar?

Yes...very similar..mines not that bad ....yet !! lol

So just have to try and workout what card to go for now ...dont have very much to spend though lol

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a fault mate, it's just the fans work. How those particular fans work.

Think of it as your car oil running out, so you just scrap it and buy a new car. Who in the right mind would do that, when you can just top up the oil? :)

Soldato
Well...machine oil is less than £3.00 delivered, if the fan has a rear plug/cap then fault can fixed in less than 5mins. Bearing wont be shot yet if it's not bad as one in linked video.

Or buy mini-PWM to PWM adapter, plus two 80mm, 92mm or 120mm PWM twin ball bearing or better fans, and ghetto cable tie them onto heatsink.

Associate
I had the same issue with my windforce GTX 670. Only happened when fans over 70% or so. Annoyed the hell out of me to the point that it got sold and decided to put the 78- under water to prevent a repeat performance.

Soldato
Well if it's fitted with MSi's Mark IV FrozR cooler you wont run into same fan problem, however if its an older revision then you might. ;)

One last time but have you even checked for this :confused: >

2 or 3 drops of £3.00 machine oil under that plug (If there is one) = possibly fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom