Just setup an Asus Dark Knight RT-N66U router and it's...

Soldato
AMAZING:D

I am really bad with wireless networks yet I set it up and connected all devices within 5 mins.

Coming from a HomeHub3 (BT) generally speaking there is one more bar of signal strength, I was expecting 4-5 bars everywhere but that's until you stress the connection.

Then that signal boost wizardry kicks in when you run speed test or do a download, you get another bar of signal and amazing speed anywhere in the house now:p

Like in my room (hey, why I got the router!) before I got 10Mb/s, now getting 20-22Mb/s.

seems BT are slacking at the Infinity 2 end, when we first got it could get up to 55Mb/s, now max is 30Mb/s at my PC (the fastest wireless connection in the house for some reason, using a free D-Link USB wi-fi adapter!)

Tablets and laptops get anywhere between 15Mb/s (old inspiron) to 20-22Mb/s (asus infinity tablet). This is in the kitchen i.e. 'signal bunker' which is an extension and has a big fridge and freezer that the signal must contend with.

Uploads are blazing fast too.

Was anxious I'd spent a hundred quid on a router that wouldn't give me more strength.

It does and it looks freaking amazing too. Allows you to get the best from the services you pay for.

Gonna look into connecting a drive to it for some NAS streaming to PS3

Btw the HH3 wasn't shocking like previous iterations, I quite liked the guy, but its quaking in the shadows of the new three-antennae behemoth sat next to him who speaks in a low rumbling voice 'i'm batman'

edit: don't know how you measure decibels of signal, so sorry to use 'bars' as the measure:p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've never dabbled in router firmware mate, apart from official updates.

What will Merlin do for me?

Might go check for an official update now in fact...

Soldato
OP
woah I don't even understand those parameters listed there!

what are these 'bugs' it is meant to address?

auto update didn't find anything new, it's currently

Soldato
If your happy with its performance and features as is mate, stick with the current version
I'd only recommend upgrading if your gunna use the new features.

enjoy

Associate
Interesting, was it easy to setup? as you said 100 quid is a lot of money but if it's future proof (to an extent; technology is advancing all the time) then I might look into getting one myself. I also currently have the HH3.

Associate
Interesting, was it easy to setup? as you said 100 quid is a lot of money but if it's future proof (to an extent; technology is advancing all the time) then I might look into getting one myself. I also currently have the HH3.

It is a great router (have one myself) but most definitely not future proof - no wireless ac, rumours are ASUS will be bringing out the RT-AC68U to replace this and/or the RT-AC66U in a couple of months.

Soldato
OP
Yeup as easy as it gets to setup.

I know it doesn't have ac but I don't stream stuff all over the shop and its still early draft and tech will take years to optimise/mature as n did.

Couldn't justify £160 on a router.

Permabanned
I just got one of these to replace my apple one, its got great wireless and gigabit for the main rig, well worth £100 I'd use the marlin firmware as it allows you to use it with sky fibre as you can ditch their router if you extract the username etc from it

Soldato
Installed mine today. Same opinion as OP. Thing is beast compared to the HH3 :).

Also update the fw manually. The check for updated firmware button doesn't find the latest.

Permabanned
The Merlin firmware is nice improvement over stock. Though if you need even more than try Shibby's Tomato. I couldn't go back to stock as I prefer the IPv6 and VPN implementation and the built in Torrent client is very handy for me. Plus lots of other features.

Permabanned
I've gotten one and wow. Easy to set up, some stuff is hidden. Very very fast.

One tip under the wifi settings go pro and set the radio output to 100mw as it's default is 80mw. It now works all the way down the road.

Recent update I found is making access to FB on my phone slow

Soldato
OP
Ohhh will deffo try 100mw.

Something strange of late, either BT are throttling/having problems (our useage is now far higher on infinity) or its the router.

One minute you're watching Netflix in HD then it drops to SD (looks like a$$) or the connection goes to a crawl then recovers a short while later to full speed.

Ah that's what I thought re: firmware, the ones on Asus site looked newer yet the router would not update itself

Back
Top Bottom