Android music player with folder navigation

Associate
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good music player for android that is based around folder navigation (i.e. not artist, album etc track tag navigation)?

My first mp3 player was an Iriver Ihp-120. I basically want something as close to that style of navigation as possible.

The closest thing I've found is tinyplayer but the UI is pretty bizarre and unintuitive.

Any recommendations would be great.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I just tried poweramp but it 'flattens' the folder structure so that there is no hierarchy (like the default music app).

I'd like to be able to keep the hierarchy that I have.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks as well john1808. Just tried musicfolderplayer. It seems perfect except it doesn't have a queuing feature. Once you are playing a folder you can't browser through other folders and queue up music to listen to next.

Should have been more specific about my requirements. Thanks for the help though.

Soldato
When you're in the 'Folder' view on Poweramp, press menu > list options > Hierarchy

Should display something like this;

jBlM9TN.png

:)

edit: Also, make sure you get the ICS theme for Poweramp.

Last edited:
Soldato
Poweramp wins every time. Just adjust setting's to suit directory structure and so forth, apply lockscreen widget's, set EQ, and bass & treble. Doneski.

Associate
OP
Amazing! Poweramp seems to be a winner.

The ICS theme really improves the looks a lot. Thanks a lot for the tip.

One last question for the PowerAmp pros:

I've limited the scanning to only the 'Music' folder on my SD card. Every time I open the folder view I see the Music folder and then have to click into it to get to the folders underneath.

Does anyone know if it is possible to hide this top folder so that it always just goes straight to my subfolders?

Soldato
Untick the root 'Music' folder, and just leave ticked the albums underneath. After that, it should just default to the list of folders instead of the top level folder :)

Soldato
I'd happily go back to PowerAmp if it could use Google Music for me to play my music instead of having them on my devices...I like it cloud based and being on 3 means I don't have to worry about data and such. Plus it means more room for my movies! :)

But I do miss PowerAmp purely cos of the UI. One of the best I have ever come across for a music player. And the lock widget is best bar none!

Soldato
Amazing thanks. Will that mean that when I add new music it won't be automatically added?

Didn't think of that.. but probably yeah. I don't change music on my device often, so it's not a problem if I have to tick a box now and then :)

I'm all about having my music local (important for the tube in london). I just got a 64gb sd card so don't need to worry too much about space.

Did just see this though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs

Looks like if your phone is rooted you can get google music support in most 3rd party music players.

I used this a while back when it was first released. Worked quite well in theory, but the network lag made Poweramp behave a bit strangely and the battery usage was a lot more noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom