4770k + maximus VI formula oc advice

Caporegime
Been having a go at trying to clock the above mentioned cpu on the maximus VI formula. So far ive set the following

45x multi
100 bclk
min cache ratio, 42
max cache ratio, 42
1.2500 vcore
1.2500 cache voltage
LLC level 6
ram at 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v

The following results in 0x124 bsod code at the windows logo screen. Tried upping the SA and IO voltages to 1.15 and a notch on vcore. Still the same error when booting. Board is running the most recent 0714 bios. Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Last edited:
Associate
1.25 is a lot of cache voltage. I was using 1.175 for 4.5 on my very good clocking 4770K.
I just can't remember what i tried on that CPU, but I would not expect it to need that much cache voltage.

Did you start with a clean bios i.e. optimised defaults first? I find that resetting everything and starting again often helps.

I would not expect you to have to change anything other than vcore for the kind of over clock you are trying. Have you tried higher than 1.25v?

Caporegime
OP
Yep, clean bios with default settings loaded. Did try increasing the vcore 1 click above 1.25, (1.2800 iirc). Still the same error at the windows logo screen. Iirc mate, you said you were using 1.25 vcore at 4.6ghz on this chip.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers for the link Idleman, ill check that out now.:)

Edit, yep id seen that video a few weeks ago, was one i was using for reference, along with other bits n bobs from this section of the forums.

Sounds like you are having a mare mate. Don't worry, Joe to the rescue :D

I'll let you swap your 4770k + mobo for my AMD rig. I won't even charge you...no?....DAMN
Lol, you getting ROG upgradeitis again mate.:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey how long you had this motherboard setter? Sorry to go off topic, but any chance you can look in CPU-Z, under the main board section - what chipset revision does it say? C1, or C2.

I'm tempted to do something I never thought I would ever do again, buy an ASUS motherboard!

Thanks in advance. :)

Associate
Yep, clean bios with default settings loaded. Did try increasing the vcore 1 click above 1.25, (1.2800 iirc). Still the same error at the windows logo screen. Iirc mate, you said you were using 1.25 vcore at 4.6ghz on this chip.

Yes I was able to boot and run Prime95 at 4.6GHz. I was using the Maximus IV Extreme motherboard, but I don't recall changing anything much in the bios. I normally set ram via XMP and then adjust the cpu voltage. I did not really use it - I only had it a couple of days, but it most certainly was able to prime at 4.6GHz, so something is different with your setup I just can't think what.

Caporegime
OP
Hey how long you had this motherboard setter? Sorry to go off topic, but any chance you can look in CPU-Z, under the main board section - what chipset revision does it say? C1, or C2.

I'm tempted to do something I never thought I would ever do again, buy an ASUS motherboard!

Thanks in advance. :)
Rev 2 nelly going by cpuz, id heard of usb issues with z87 boards.

heres a haswell oc guide for gigabyte z87 posted by sin,worth a read as it tells you max safe voltages and what each voltage does ect

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide
Cheers wazza, ill give that a read over.:)

Yes I was able to boot and run Prime95 at 4.6GHz. I was using the Maximus IV Extreme motherboard, but I don't recall changing anything much in the bios. I normally set ram via XMP and then adjust the cpu voltage. I did not really use it - I only had it a couple of days, but it most certainly was able to prime at 4.6GHz, so something is different with your setup I just can't think what.
Was that with 1.25 vcore set in bios mate? Thats what i dialled in, LLC level 6? I took the ram out of the equation by slackening the timings to 9-9-9-24, 1600mhz @1.5 dram v. Samsung greens will do 7-7-8-24 on 1.35v as i had them on my previoius Z77 3770k setup.

Associate
Was that with 1.25 vcore set in bios mate? Thats what i dialled in, LLC level 6? I took the ram out of the equation by slackening the timings to 9-9-9-24, 1600mhz @1.5 dram v. Samsung greens will do 7-7-8-24 on 1.35v as i had them on my previoius Z77 3770k setup.

Yes 1.25v set in bios.
I did not alter LLC from Auto.
I agree ram does not look like a problem.
Is the CPU well seated? Any chance part is not making contact making one core fall over?

Caporegime
OP
Well seated mate, under an alpenfohn k2 air cooler. Using liquid ultra paste that im very familiair with now. Ive checked the seating of the cooler twice, (remount and repaste). Ive used the same cooler on a 4.2ghz i7 920, a 4.5ghz 3570k and a 4.5ghz 3770k. All with the same paste, (ive become very adept at applying liqid ultra lol). Ram wise, ive had the greens stable at 9-10-10-21, 96 trfc, 2133mhz on the old 3770k. But it was a very volt hungry chip, (1.340v) game stable, but gave whea errors in benches.

Last edited:
Associate
Its a mystery. I'm at a loss and don't know what else to suggest :(
As I say I just set everything at default via an Optimised Defaults... changed the CPU multiplier to 46 and the CPU voltage to 1.25v - I can't recall if I altered the cache multiplier for that particular test i'm afraid.

The only differences between what I was running and what you are is the Motherboard (me Extreme, you Formula), ram (I used 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2666MHz) and possibly PSU (I used Corsair 850W - so same as ur sig)

Soldato
Did you find that vid useful?
The other link for the ROG site, the breakdown of features on your board, confused the hell out of me. :D
Good to see you have gotten into windows mate, without any more BSODs.:)

Caporegime
OP
I did mate, thanks again for the links.:) The amount of settings in bios on this board is quite bewildering. For stress testing, ill play a few rounds of bf3 or crysis 3. Ive found with my previous ib cpu's that theese games will show up any issues quicker than synthetic testing such as p95/ibt.

Soldato
I did mate, thanks again for the links.:) The amount of settings in bios on this board is quite bewildering. For stress testing, ill play a few rounds of bf3 or crysis 3. Ive found with my previous ib cpu's that theese games will show up any issues quicker than synthetic testing such as p95/ibt.

Nice to know it was of some use.
I noticed the guy in the vid does`nt recommend using P95 or any other synthetic stress tests. Just Aida64 or Realbench, then games only, similar advice that 8pack recommends. Which I think makes more sense. So you can then get a higher clock without extreme temps in real world applications.
No more P95 for me then. :D

Back
Top Bottom