• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCI-E Melted

Associate
I've got one of the PCI-E 8 pin melted on one of the HD 7990 Plug. Pretty scary as I noticed white smoke and burning smells from the fans.

I've changed to new cable now and wonder if that was the problem of poor connections or what....

Thank god I was at home, or it will be a disaster. Dun wanna burn my house with that.

20131002_161339_zpsa86edf11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
wow like you said, lucky u were home.

never liked OCZ stuff, had to RMA probably half of the stuff ive bought from them. yet i am hideously unlucky with gear :(

What motherboard was you using? Also how overclocked are they?

I just asked on the Johnnyguru forums, and someone mentioned excessive current draw through the connector.

Last edited:
Thats scary, i never did like OCZ's stuff, is the card ok?

both of them are ok...

before this happened, my window will hang anytime it likes, I was thinking it might be the drivers.
After a clean install, things aren't improving.

I think that was the signs and symptoms of this kind of problems.

It will be a faulty connector.

If the metal contacts do not make a secure connection this increases the resistance at the junction and will cause the pins to get very hot very quickly when you draw a high current. Either that or a wire not properly crimped to the connection will cause this.

Common with industrial breakers etc. which when cables aren't tight.

Nothing to do with the PSU output, purely a connection issue.

AD

Yep, those PSU are top of the line, I've been using this OCZ for 1 year without problems. I was thinking if I really need to change it.

I dunno if there is a problem of the PSU, shouldn't be the plug at the PSU side be melting?

What motherboard was you using? Also how overclocked are they?

I just asked on the Johnnyguru forums, and someone mentioned excessive current draw through the connector.

I am using ASUS Z87 Deluxe. I am not overclocking at the momment, not even the GPU, this thing really put me on the edge. I kept looking at the plugs from the windows from time to time now and sniff on the exhaust for any smells too.

>.<

If the metal contacts do not make a secure connection this increases the resistance at the junction and will cause the pins to get very hot very quickly when you draw a high current. Either that or a wire not properly crimped to the connection will cause this.

AD

wow, that soothe a bit of my nerves. but how do I know if they are tight enough? Is there any test apart from that scary white smoky test I 've got yesterday night?

Probably a loose/faulty or overloaded connector. 1250W is more than enough for 2x 7990/4x 7970 overclocked and the OCZ ZX series are very well built Great Wall OEM units.

Edit: It's possible if you really pushed the cards that you overloaded the connectors, and since that's a single rail unit the OCP is set too high for it to be useful. The 7990's should really have 3x 8 pin connectors.

Last edited:

AD

This!

Back
Top Bottom