Forced to upgrade Desktop to Windows 8.1?

Associate
I have just ordered a 1TB SSD drive for my desktop.

Not being a fan for using disk imaging software to transfer OS installations to my gaming PC, I will be putting on a clean Windows installation.

I have Windows 8 on my laptop, and without the Start8 program, I absolutely despised it, due to MS forcing the user to do everything through their Metro crApp. With Start8, I can't pretend that using W8 really bothers me that much, indeed, I would even say I like the odd new touches that have come along with it. Overall though, I still prefer W7, especially if liking W7 saves me a few quids.

However, due to MS making DX 11.x incompatible with W7, and me primarily being a gamer, it looks like I am going to have/want to upgrade my desktop to W8 afterall.

Question is, for those already on W 8.1; To what extent have Microsoft seen the error of their ways in forcing their Metro UI and the various other crappy apps onto mouse and keyboard users? Is it still really bad, and if so, does Start8 neutralise the poison in the same way that it did for W8?

Caporegime
Inherently its exactly the same as Windows 8 (which is great if you bother to get to learn it), but with the addition of a static start screen button on each taskbar.

You can now boot straight to desktop, you can have tiny tiles on the start screen, and list them in desktop order first.

Other than losing your archaic and beloved start menu (the start screen has exactly the same features, only easier to access, especially now with 8.1's unified search), I don't see why you'd need Start8 or similar on the installation at all.

Soldato
If you are not a fan of having things you don't want being forced on you what you will really have to watch out for is that Win 8 set-up (and in particular Win 8.1 upgrade set-up ) will try to force you to create a Microsoft account during the set-up procedure. :rolleyes:

I am not sure about win 8, but with the win 8.1 upgrade there does not appear to be a "No thanks" or "Not now" button! :eek: :mad:

The best way of dealing with this is to ensure that your internet connection is disconnected after the initial installation has completed and before you start to set-up the system with your personal preferences. (Just after you deal with the terms and conditions page)

It will try to connect (For ages) and when it finds it cant will allow you to bypass the "Create Microsoft account" page and complete the instalation.

Soldato
It's still fundamentally the same, in both senses. Metro isn't going away but you can make it more palatable out of the box with new options to boot the desktop and disabling hot corners. For anybody with a strong aversion to the new stuff a 3rd party modification is still going to be your best bet.

Soldato
I am not sure about win 8, but with the win 8.1 upgrade there does not appear to be a "No thanks" or "Not now" button!

LOL just select create new account and then towards the bottom left there is an option that says something like continue with a local account.

Soldato
LOL just select create new account and then towards the bottom left there is an option that says something like continue with a local account.

That is just bizarre! So you have to actively select "create new Account" in-order to get access to the option of not doing so! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like I said! MS is doing its best to "Force" people to create MS accounts during set-up! :mad:

Why not just have a check box #1 create MS account (with Clicky for more info about what this is all about) #2 continue with local account!?

Or is that too easy!

Caporegime
Like I said! MS is doing its best to "Force" people to create MS accounts during set-up! :mad:

That's because half of the features require a Microsoft Account.

Heck, even at work I've got my Microsoft Account tied to my AD account so I can use the Store, Skype, etc etc etc.

Not quite sure why it's making you mad, if you don't want them, don't use them, but the majority of users who get Windows 8 would be more mad than you if they created a local account then couldn't get OS features working because they have the wrong account type. It's just easier this way around.

Soldato
OK, just create an account for windows 8/8.1 login.

Once logged in and on desktop.

Press the [WIN] + [R] to open the "Run" box and then type in "netplwiz"

On the "Users" pop up panel, just select the user to always login and uncheck the box above the list that says "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer."

Works perfectly when you boot straight to desktop in 8.1

Soldato
I hated windows 8 until i tried "Startisback"..its much better than "Start8" imo and its cheaper,I bought both to try as they were so cheap.

What i did was disable all running live tiles,The choose to login directly to the desktop so this skips the metro crap.."Startisback" does not run as a process like Start8.

Now i have windows 7 again,But with all the added goodness of Windows 8.

I like how windows 8 was only using around 600mb of ram idle,on windows 7 it would be around 1.3 ish + Gb.

Soldato
That's because half of the features require a Microsoft Account.

Heck, even at work I've got my Microsoft Account tied to my AD account so I can use the Store, Skype, etc etc etc.

Not quite sure why it's making you mad, if you don't want them, don't use them, but the majority of users who get Windows 8 would be more mad than you if they created a local account then couldn't get OS features working because they have the wrong account type. It's just easier this way around.

On the flipside, it's very easy just to change your local account to a Windows one with a few clicks.

If you're really against it though, when going through the Windows 8.1 installation, if you disconnect from the internet/LAN the option to skip using a Microsoft account comes up.

I hated windows 8 until i tried "Startisback"..its much better than "Start8" imo and its cheaper,I bought both to try as they were so cheap.

What i did was disable all running live tiles,The choose to login directly to the desktop so this skips the metro crap.."Startisback" does not run as a process like Start8.

Now i have windows 7 again,But with all the added goodness of Windows 8.

I like how windows 8 was only using around 600mb of ram idle,on windows 7 it would be around 1.3 ish + Gb.

No, you have Windows 8. I've also never understood this issue people have with RAM usage. You buy RAM for your computer to use it. Applications are cached in RAM (it's called ready boost) so that they can start nearly instantly.

When that RAM is actually needed, it's released for other programs to use. At present, with Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop, Skype, Notepad++, Filezilla and a few other apps, my PC is using 11.4GB out of 32GB and you know what? Great because everything works fast and nicely.

Soldato
I am slowly but surely gravitating away from Microsoft software.

Having two lots of settings for things in itself shows the disconnect within Windows 8. It's outright strange. The fact they haven't bothered to remove lots of references to tablet \ laptop centric features is another oddity. On install it should just ask you to choose "Desktop or Laptop" etc and then it sets up the environment to suit.

They have lost their way, and with everything up in the air about what spec hardware we will need for next gen games I am not in a rush to fork out for more upgrades.

Going over to the darkside of console gaming for the next few years and will just reinstall Windows 7 on to my desktop for daily usage.

I'm not bitter about it, that's how technology is... but it's a wagon i'm jumping off of.

I get enough grief supporting systems and IT with my day job to be bothered about the hassles of Windows 8 at home.

Soldato
I am slowly but surely gravitating away from Microsoft software.

Having two lots of settings for things in itself shows the disconnect within Windows 8. It's outright strange. The fact they haven't bothered to remove lots of references to tablet \ laptop centric features is another oddity. On install it should just ask you to choose "Desktop or Laptop" etc and then it sets up the environment to suit.

They have lost their way, and with everything up in the air about what spec hardware we will need for next gen games I am not in a rush to fork out for more upgrades.

Going over to the darkside of console gaming for the next few years and will just reinstall Windows 7 on to my desktop for daily usage.

I'm not bitter about it, that's how technology is... but it's a wagon i'm jumping off of.

I get enough grief supporting systems and IT with my day job to be bothered about the hassles of Windows 8 at home.

I find it bizarre the way people read in to things based solely on their dislike of something.

Soldato
I find it bizarre the way people read in to things based solely on their dislike of something.

Bizarre, its a fact of everyday life. If you dislike something it affects how react/interpret/deal with it.

I dislike windows 8, especially in a business environment. I install start8 on all laptops and work machines that I install at office and at home. Our company is in the care home sector. Our employees are used to windows xp and 7 interface. Our clerks and carers in the care homes are not computer savvy to learn how to use windows 8 instantly. Teaching hundreds of employees who are not in the IT sector how to use a brand new interface does not make sense, will waste company time and resources. Windows 7 is working well.

However with new machines and laptops all coming pre-installed with windows 8, of course I will try to make it feel like windows 7 as closely as possible.

Even I still lose my way around windows 8. My solution is to use 3rd party apps that boot into desktop, make it feel like windows 7 and also if any metro app is launched by mistake, to open that in a windowed mode on the desktop.

That is why I understand where the OP is coming from. I do not understand why so many people instantly say learn how to use windows 8, you do not need the start button etc.

Windows 8 is faster but the user interface for someone who has never seen it before is terribly confusing. I am sure I could pick it up in a day of using it non stop but from a business point of view it is a pain in the a$$ and certainly not worth the trouble.

Soldato
Bizarre, its a fact of everyday life. If you dislike something it affects how react/interpret/deal with it.

I dislike windows 8, especially in a business environment. I install start8 on all laptops and work machines that I install at office and at home. Our company is in the care home sector. Our employees are used to windows xp and 7 interface. Our clerks and carers in the care homes are not computer savvy to learn how to use windows 8 instantly. Teaching hundreds of employees who are not in the IT sector how to use a brand new interface does not make sense, will waste company time and resources. Windows 7 is working well.

However with new machines and laptops all coming pre-installed with windows 8, of course I will try to make it feel like windows 7 as closely as possible.

Even I still lose my way around windows 8. My solution is to use 3rd party apps that boot into desktop, make it feel like windows 7 and also if any metro app is launched by mistake, to open that in a windowed mode on the desktop.

That is why I understand where the OP is coming from. I do not understand why so many people instantly say learn how to use windows 8, you do not need the start button etc.

Windows 8 is faster but the user interface for someone who has never seen it before is terribly confusing. I am sure I could pick it up in a day of using it non stop but from a business point of view it is a pain in the a$$ and certainly not worth the trouble.

I wasn't commenting on people disliking it, I'm talking about comments like this:

Essentially, "I don't like it, so Microsoft is failing as a company and going down the pan".

I agree with a fair amount of what you say, I think the biggest issue with Windows 8 is that Microsoft didn't explain how to use the new interface, they have rectified that with 8.1.

8.1 is already quite a large improvement over 8 despite myself not having much in the way of issues with 8.

Permabanned
There is not much difference between directx 11 and 11.x

Its also the first time that microsoft has not made directx backwards compatible. Obviously an attempt by M$ to force uses to upgrade to blocks 8.1. You know software is rubbish when people are forced to upgrade.

I watch some videos on youtube of 8.1 and people were saying it is actually worse than the original. One guy went over all the problems with it and how windows 7 is far better.

The only reason blocks 8.1 is being pushed by m$ is because they want people to use their app store in the full screen interface so that they can make money from their app store like apple and google are with theirs. There is literally no other reason why they would push such a terrible ui on their desktop users.

Soldato
I do wish some people would get over Win7,its time will be up soon,you have to move forward sooner or later,its ok to dislike something but NOT reasonable to expect things not to change or move on,end of the day Win9 will probably get a new UI etc and you see some people moaning about this and that,its easier just try to use the OS as its meant to be,ie Win8/8.1 for example its not rocket science,do you need to be spoon fed?...It'll be interesting to see how some of you handle Win9,10,11.

I do wonder if using a PC or OS is beyond some people.
However, due to MS making DX 11.x incompatible with W7, and me primarily being a gamer, it looks like I am going to have/want to upgrade my desktop to W8 afterall.

Question is, for those already on W 8.1; To what extent have Microsoft seen the error of their ways in forcing their Metro UI and the various other crappy apps onto mouse and keyboard users? Is it still really bad, and if so, does Start8 neutralise the poison in the same way that it did for W8?

You are not forced, you can stay on Win7 and get left behind that's your problem,I'm a gamer myself since DOS days and have seen many changes from DOS to Win8.1,I accepted that if you want the latest then you have upgrade whether its a CPU,video card or OS,gamers should be used to this.

Besides Win7 is already four years old and sooner or later it will be RIP.

Also back in DOS days gamers like myself had to work out what memory we neeeded ie how much expanded/upper memory for each game etc and rearrange it,also IRQs for sound cards etc,it was a lot harder back in those days,gamers now have it way too easy with Vista/Win7/8/8.1 but still some are never happy.

I always find it funny when a gamer will spend 30 to 40 quid on one game or £300 on a new video gaming card but an OS for 100 quid or less hell no.

To answer your question Win8.1 is dead simple to use without any Start button menu mods,as gamer myself or for general use,I don't even see why you even need one,Win8.1 even allows you to boot straight to the old desktop so you can avoid Metro for the most part if you really hate it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom