• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Change monitor numbers

Soldato
Not sure if this should go here, monitors, GPUs, or Windows sub-forum :confused:

Anyway, I've got my normal monitor connected to DVI 1 (Display 1), and my TV connected to DVI 2 (Display 2). I normally only use the TV to extend the desktop to watch movies. After watching a film, I use Windows key + P to switch it back to Computer only.

This has been working fine, until yesterday. My TV is now being recognized as Display 1 and monitor display 2. If I don't want to use the TV, I now have to use Projector only under Windows key + P.

I've looked through windows settings and Nvidia control panel, but no luck.

Any ideas? After having an internet search, it shouldn't change, as the DVI connectors are numbered.

Associate
unplug the tv, reboot then plug the tv back in that should force it.

Failing that go to display properties and there is a tick box for make this my primary monitor

Associate
Two latest nVidia drivers changed monitor numbers in multi-monitors setup. I have no idea why, but it might be a reason. Go back to pre-previous drivers and see if it works as before. It's typical bug in drivers, because "Projector only" should leave "primary" screen, not "screen nr 1". Shame, nVidia developers. I'm too lazy to report it (as much as many other bugs), but feel free to do it in my name :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think you've cracked it biuro74, I updated them earlier this week. I may just put up with it for a week or two and see if they fix it.
If I unplug the TV, my monitor goes back to display 1, but as soon as it's plugged back in, the revert

Back
Top Bottom