• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780 WF 3x OC Rev2.0 v's EVGA 780 Classy v's 290 unlocked to 290X

Soldato
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC Rev2.0 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-N780OC-3GD) £389.99

Anyone have one that can tell me what kind of OC's are achievable?

Can you remove the cooler(are there any void stickers on the screws) without invalidating the warranty?

AC Extreme would be used-will this then(theoreticaly)achieve a higher oc over the WF cooler due to lower temps on the core-or does it not work that way?

V's

1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified "Dual BIOS" 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (03G-P4-3788-KR) £439.99

V's

290@£330 that hopefully unlocks to the X version(I know which ones may unlock-it's not an XFX one I'm thinking of;)), which will sit on top of a spare AC Extreme-temps will not be a problem.

Mantle could get me back some fps in BF4 and other Mantle enabled titles when they appear.

TrueAudio which I would like, but there is next to no titles on the foreseeable horizon, but I'm looking forward to Thief and that gets me TrueAudio.

Is there much point in picking the classy over the WF as it's not for benching, more for gaming, I know it comes down to the chip lottery, but coming from 7950 Ice-Q CrossFire, the three of them are going to be a downgrade but would be looking to claw back as much fps as possible to get up to my current setups fps.

Before anyone informs me it's not worth it and to wait, shiny toy syndrome is scratching into my eyes and making them bleed, PhysX is biting at me again as I have a few unplayed PhysX titles in wait and you get the 3 games to offshoot the cost over a 290(more aimed at the cheaper cost of the WF).
Thoughts please?:)

Last edited:
Soldato
For air cooling, even a 780 overclocked to 1300+ will be considerably slower than your double 7950s. But the same applies to a 290/X at 1200 (i.e. one at a decent air overclock) and from your opening post it seems as if you've already considered this.

I know I didn't post my findings as I was on my 3 month holiday from this sub forum at the time but from my change from 7950 CF to 780, the difference was around 25-35%. I'd imagine BF4 would also fall into that bracket pre Mantle.

With the fan on 100% my 780 generally tops out at a better clock speed than it would on auto fan so it definitely helps to keep it cool but I think the WF will generally keep it cool enough to prevent any thermal throttling and an Accelero probably won't help much in that regards.

I know for us fools who are crazy and actually like PhysX effects they are a worthy consideration... but for me, Mantle is probably going to be a bigger consideration over the next two years. I read somewhere (or perhaps it wasn't you) that you're going to be on BF4 a lot the next couple of years. I would say Mantle is going to help you more in that respect especially as you have a 120 Hz monitor.

SO! My advice would be to stick with what you have got at the moment. Get a custom cooled 290 in the new year when Mantle is less of an unknown and enjoy. If you take for arguments sake the 290 and 780 as equal in FPS terms... then as I have said, for me, in your situation Mantle in BF4 is a bigger draw.

Mantle by the sounds of it will eventually be available on nVidia cards too but whether it's adopted is another thing entirely. In my opinion there's no chance of if being released imminently as AMD will want to keep it in house while it's new so they can fine tune.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the WF Rev2.0 here. So far I've had it to 1254 / 7208, but it wasn't 100% stable when gaming & that was using 1.187vcore.
So I've settled on 1214/[email protected] 24/7.

Temps are 60-70c depending on how long I'm gaming ( room temp around 18-20c / Corsair 300R case )
That's with the fan at around 60% which is still pretty quiet, so as Rusty said the Accelero wouldn't make much sense.

Around 1200/7000 seems to be the average overclock for most 780's on air, with the likes of the Classified, Lightning, HOF & iChill cards likely to reach 1300'ish.
Nickolp1974 has had his 780 Lightning up to 1420, but that's watercooled. Fast though :)

Soldato
If I was to choose now, it would be the Windforce.

However, if I had your set up I would wait at least until we see what Mantle brings.

As you said, BF4 will be your main game

Soldato
My windforce 780 will do 1267 game and bench stable with the slight extra volts afterburner gives memory is stock as it likes if i increase that it the core clock becomes unstable.+700 on memory if i leave the core alone works but core shows the biggest boost so i just do that

Soldato
I wouldn't make a purchase until mantle is out so you can gauge its performance, with dice visibly struggling to make the dx version work I wouldn't bank on mantle to be any better.

Personally, I'd go for the classy, if anything it will be more fun to use and it holds prestige so will hold value better when it comes to resale :)

Caporegime
The boost is boosting to what is deemed safe clocks and the cooler it is, the higher it will boost but in truth, it is pretty much pony how much it does.

I much prefer the non boosting BIOS and I know what I am getting.

I know you like PhysX effects, the same as me Tommy and ShadowPlay is quality but does use some resources for me and is slightly stuttery but that is possibly me having PEBCAK, as others are not getting it.

Effects with PhysX or frames with Mantle?

:)

OcUK Staff
Depends if you get a lemon or not :p

Think the difference is though.

Lemon Gigabyte 780 - 1150MHz max core / 6600MHz memory
Uber Gigabyte 780 - 1275MHz max / 7000MHz memory

Lemon EVGA 780 Classy - 1250MHz max core / 7000MHz memory
Uber EVGA 780 Classy - 1400MHz max core / 8000MHz memory.

In my book, EVGA Classy everytime! :)

Or look at the Lightning LE card, that is a bargain and will clock like a beast! :D

Soldato

Or look at the Lightning LE card, that is a bargain and will clock like a beast! :D

My Classy doesn't even hit that lemon clock, so it was a waste of the extra 50 quid really. I just don't want people to get the impression that the Classy will always be a great clocker :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed! Benched 1445/1900 so far with my Classified.

Although appreciate not all will do that.

Soldato
I think its a no brainer to get the 290 if you already have an ac extreme sitting waiting. Cheapest option and if it turns into a x most likely the fastest option. With the ac extreme on it will just be a better card than the rest in almost all ways.

Soldato
Are they just using lower factory clocks, or are they GPUs that failed testing for the full Lightning?

I get the feeling these are the equivalent of the last series' power edition, so yes likely chips that didn't quite hit the lightning grade. The extra power phases etc... should still allow it to clock well though.

Either that or its to shift the last of the elpida stock.

Back
Top Bottom