• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To everyone hoping for buying the custom cooled R9 290s before holiday period...

Soldato
I've just spoken with HIS.

AMD are still only shipping full built reference cards and so far no plans to change until end of December / early January.

So we won't see a custom cooled card on shelf's at stockist until at least mid-end January at this rate.

Absolutely ZERO chance this year!
ok...so Gibbo has pretty much confirmed that we WON'T be getting the custom cooled 290/290x till beginning next year. Now I don't know how many of you are like me...was hoping that I could get my hands on the custom cooler 290Pro/x before the Christmas and do some serious gaming during the Christmas to new year period.

So the question is...what should I/we do now?

a) Bite the bullet and go green with a GTX780
b) Grab a MSI/Sapphire 290 Pro and add a 3rd party cooler ourselves (OcUK warranty covers cooler removal on MSI/Sapphire cards)

I myself is considering the possibility of just grabbing a MSI 290Pro and add a GELID Icy Vision Rev 2 (the Prolimatech MK-26 is a tad too expensive, considering it cost near TWICE after adding some decent fans). What about you guys? Got any other ideas?

Soldato
:confused:Sorry AMD, snooze ya lose, go grab a GTX780. AMD clearly don't want your money.

I would advise anyone waiting on the AMD R9 290/X custom cooled failbus to arrive needs to wise up and go green. I have never seen so many people who are happy to purchase after market coolers to fix AMDs failure.

AMD need sent a message and willingly buying their failure of a GPU and fixing it with extra cash is idiotic.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm leaning heavily towards going the prolimatech mk-26 route. It would cost an extra £93.95 for me (mk26, 2x 140 akasa apache super silent, Alpenföhn sinks).

Last edited:
Associate
:confused:Sorry AMD, snooze ya lose, go grab a GTX780. AMD clearly don't want your money.

I would advise anyone waiting on the AMD R9 290/X custom cooled failbus to arrive needs to wise up and go green. I have never seen so many people who are happy to purchase after market coolers to fix AMDs failure.

AMD need sent a message and willingly buying their failure of a GPU and fixing it with extra cash is idiotic.

I have to agree with this.

Note: I own a 7990.

Soldato
Going to buy a stock 290 and a new Phantek case. Then after xmas im going to fit a 360 and a 240 rad with a cpu and gpu block and stand In awe at the quiet cool overclocked goodness of it all

Soldato

The problem seems to be that sales are rising for the stock cooled cards instead of declining. That's what Gibbo said so atm Amd and it's partners see no need to release better cooled versions. This surprises me but it is what it is.

Caporegime

GIBBO has said that sales have increased for the 290/X, so shows that not everyone is fussed about reference cards.

Soldato
Why would it suprise you? people buying them are enthusiasts who like to overclock, these people will mostly put them under water or fit their own coolers etc. These cards have beastly potential if your willing to spend time getting them setup to your specific needs. Add in the chance of certain ones being able to unlocked to the 290x version gratis and your onto a winner. Not to mention if Mantle lives up to anything near its hype your going to be laughing as you count how much money you saved as opposed to going Green.

Soldato
7990 is so last year, just get a 290 and an after market cooler, Then create a thread telling us all how cool and quiet they are, and all for sub £350.

Soldato
GIBBO has said that sales have increased for the 290/X, so shows that not everyone is fussed about reference cards.

This was aimed at a single demographic of people waiting on custom colled R9 290/X, not every GPU enthusiast.

"anyone waiting on the AMD R9 290/X custom cooled failbus to arrive"

Last edited:
Soldato
ok...so Gibbo has pretty much confirmed that we WON'T be getting the custom cooled 290/290x till beginning next year. Now I don't know how many of you are like me...was hoping that I could get my hands on the custom cooler 290Pro/x before the Christmas and do some serious gaming during the Christmas to new year period.

So the question is...what should I/we do now?

a) Bite the bullet and go green with a GTX780
b) Grab a MSI/Sapphire 290 Pro and add a 3rd party cooler ourselves (OcUK warranty covers cooler removal on MSI/Sapphire cards)

I myself is considering the possibility of just grabbing a MSI 290Pro and add a GELID Icy Vision Rev 2 (the Prolimatech MK-26 is a tad too expensive, considering it cost near TWICE after adding some decent fans). What about you guys? Got any other ideas?

d) Keep your money in your pocket and wait until you get what you want at the price you want.

Caporegime
I guess they need to exhaust stockpiles... who is going to buy a hot, loud & throttling reference card when far superior non-reference cards appear?

Back
Top Bottom