• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Installing An Arctic Accelero Xtreme III To A HIS R9 290.

Soldato
Full before and after photos and temps to follow, but first a few Public Safety Announcements for those considering doing this.

1. Don't attempt this when full of Man Flu as you will forget things..

2. The standard Accelero Xtreme III kit doesn't come with enough VRAM heat sinks. You will need to buy these separately. I used the Alpenfohn Passive DRAM / VRAM Coolers kit.

3. Be patient. This will help avoid having to remove too-high VRAM coolers that clash with the Accelero's heat pipes at midnight..

Last edited:
Soldato
Full before and after photos and temps to follow, but first a few Public Safety Announcements for those considering doing this.

1. Don't attempt this when full of Man Flu as you will forget things..

2. The standard Accelero Xtreme III kit doesn't come with enough VRAM heat sinks. You will need to buy these separately. I used the Alpenfohn Passive DRAM / VRAM Coolers kit.

3. Be patient. This will help avoid having to remove too-high VRAM coolers that clash with the Accelero's heat pipes at midnight..

Ahh just the man I want to ask!
Can you screw down the VRM heat sink from the Alpenfohn Passive DRAM / VRAM Coolers kit? opposed to sticking it on with tape to hold it in place? It looks like there are screw holes in the pics.
and also looking forward to seeing the results! :)

Soldato
OP
Ahh just the man I want to ask!
Can you screw down the VRM heat sink from the Alpenfohn Passive DRAM / VRAM Coolers kit? opposed to sticking it on with tape to hold it in place? It looks like there are screw holes in the pics.
and also looking forward to seeing the results! :)

Didn't use it as it's too tall and clashes with the Accelero's heatsink.

Soldato
Don't be a

90106184d86a88f765a52581f48c6c8d.jpg

Real men get it to fit with one of these:

657a438240e13e0afdfb73a4ca048804.jpg

29c916c15b206a615b1470393c4e2c22.jpg

;):D

Might get my 290 sorted tonight, problem being, the 7970 Extreme contact has a raised offset plate, my older 5870 Extreme might have to go on as a temporary solution until I decide to buff down the 7970 Extreme plate or cut the 5870 to accommodate the Alpenfohn-it is better than any other vrm solution(outwith full water plates).:)

Soldato
OP
So, this took a little longer than expected..

PC Specs:

Corsair Carbide 300R case / Asus P8P67 MB / 16GB 1866 RAM / i5 2500K @4.3GHz

GPU and VRM temps stock HIS cooler:

Number of heatsinks in standard A X 3 kit:

Soldato
So, this took a little longer than expected..

PC Specs:

Corsair Carbide 300R case / Asus P8P67 MB / 16GB 1866 RAM / i5 2500K @4.3GHz

GPU and VRM temps stock HIS cooler:

Number of heatsinks in standard A X 3 kit:

You forgot the heat sink in the left corner for the small VRM.

Soldato
OP
Insulating strips for voltage regulators:

Laying out the Alpenfohn heatsinks. Can anyone spot what I missed?

* Hint : top left of above photo...

The 4 Arctic heatsinks I had to use as the Alpenfohn ones didn't let the XAccelero seat correctly:

Insulation for the last 3 heatsinks:

Together at last:

Soldato
OP
Issues encountered:

1. Arctic needs to spend 5 minutes updating the mounting instructions for the R9 series they now claim to support.

2. Standard AX III kit doesn't have enough VRAM heatsinks - 4 short and nothing low profile enough to cover the IC partially covered by the AX III mounting plate.

3. Alpenfohn VRAM heatsinks too tall to be used on the 4 VRAMs closest to upp edge of PCB.

4. Used the Arctic VRM heatsinks as I didn't feel the Alpenfohn ones had enough contact area nor cooling area.

Conclusions:

1. The swearing and working through my Man Flu was worth it.

2. Using the 12V feed to the AX III's fans is quieter than the stock cooler at idle and way quieter under full load. Is much quieter than my HIS IcyQ 7950 Boost under full load. AX III's fans are only just audible over my fairly quiet case fans.

3. The AX III's 3 fans sit dead opposite the extra fan mounting grille on the 300R's side panel and are drawing additional cool air into the case where the stock cooler was leaking heat into the case.

4. GPU temp full load is down to 57 deg C from 95 deg C.

5. VRM1 temp seems to have increased by 2-3 deg C, so perhaps this is the one component that the stock cooler actually works well on.

6. VRM2 temp is down to 5o deg C from 84 deg C.

So, for a total of £350, I have a quiet and cool R9 290 now instead of mid-January that I'll spend the holidays overclocking and being rubbish at BF4 with..

Soldato
OP
Terminal_Boy, did the cooler come with deent thermal paste and glue for the heatsinks or did you buy another brand

I mainly used the thermal adhesive which came with the AX III, but as I left the lid off (as I thought I was done), it had cured so I used the thermal adhesive with came with the Aplenfohn VRAM heat sinks to secure the last 3 heat sinks on the components at the top left side of the PCB that I'd missed.

The main cooler comes pre-loaded with thermal paste which I didn't mess with as the Tom's Hardware article didn't mention it being a problem.

Soldato
I mainly used the thermal adhesive which came with the AX III, but as I left the lid off (as I thought I was done), it had cured so I used the thermal adhesive with came with the Aplenfohn VRAM heat sinks to secure the last 3 heat sinks on the components at the top left side of the PCB that I'd missed.

The main cooler comes pre-loaded with thermal paste which I didn't mess with as the Tom's Hardware article didn't mention it being a problem.

nice one thanks

Soldato
OP

That's pretty much what I followed, but I still missed those 3 heat sinks in the top left corner...

52.5mm holes (hole 2 in Arctic guide) and the 2.5mm (shortest) white nylon spacers.

Be careful with the self-adhesive discs you get to secure them as they're a bit fragile. Double sided Cellotape is a good replacement.

I fitted the cooler mounting bracket BEFORE the various heat sinks as per the Arctic guide to ensure the spacing was okay and removed it after the adhesive had cured.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom