• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290/X AIB Cards in December

Soldato
Quoted from another forum:

Just talked to AMD as well as three big AIB partners and AMD as well as one big AIB told me that we should expect to see custom R9 290 and 290X cards in etail the second week of December. FYI....

Associate
I have not stalked these forums enough to know how accurate Gibbo has been in the past and I'm not at all questioning his honesty, but... If non ref boards were around the corner would OcUK really want to advertise it? They would end up with a load of reference boards that no one wanted to buy.

Soldato
I have not stalked these forums enough to know how accurate Gibbo has been in the past and I'm not at all questioning his honesty, but... If non ref boards were around the corner would OcUK really want to advertise it? They would end up with a load of reference boards that no one wanted to buy.

People have been using that as the reason why AMD Haven't released or announced non ref coolers.

Would trust Gibbo over the other forum as he likely spoke directly to board partners, where this could be a quote of a quote of a rumour as things can be.

Can you source the quote or would linking this forum break the rules?

Soldato
Quoted from another forum:

That's what Kyle from HardOCP wrote a couple of weeks back (it's already been reposted in the OCUK forums), but a few days ago Gibbo said HIS had just told him nothing until mid to end of January. AMD is still only selling complete cards with stock cooling.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
That's what Kyle from HardOCP wrote a couple of weeks back (it's already been reposted in the OCUK forums), but a few days ago Gibbo said HIS had just told him nothing until mid to end of January. AMD is still only selling complete cards with stock cooling.

Shall ask more board partners this week on any more updates.

But if they were due in 2-3 weeks we'd have them on order and we don't. ;)

As I've said well be lucky to see any custom designs on the shelfs this year, I have a meeting with AMD this week and shall speak with board partners to see if there is any newer updates. :)

Soldato
Shall ask more board partners this week on any more updates.

But if they were due in 2-3 weeks we'd have them on order and we don't. ;)

As I've said well be lucky to see any custom designs on the shelfs this year, I have a meeting with AMD this week and shall speak with board partners to see if there is any newer updates. :)

Good man! Not that this concerns me anymore as I gave up waiting and ordered a mk-26 and a 290.

Soldato
Guys, the quoted post, is pretty old. And personally have used in here, it few times the past weeks.

If they come this side of the year, it will be the last week before Christmas, bearing the Christmas premium tag. So you are looking for January either way, to be certain that you will get one and not pay over the top.

If Gibbo says not one in order "yet", with 3 weeks lead, I do believe him.

After all do not forget, that if custom cooler ones come out, the 290 non-X might not being able to get hacked to 290X.
So there is a trade off where you go.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

So far the message is the same as I told you guys last month.

AMD have no plans to ship just parts yet until mid-end December. So that means the earliest we shall see custom design in stock shall be January, so same as what I said last month.

We might be able to get custom cards up for Pre-Order mid-end December with stock in January.

The only places which might get stock on the shelf end of December is China.

Soldato
Thanks for that. At least we know how long we're going to have to wait to get decent coolers without putting them on ourselves. Seems silly to miss the Christmas period, as I wanted to tread myself to a new card, but I don't want to invalidate my any warranty or mess about with a third party coolers and silly stick on ramsinks.

Still, my birthday is at the end of January, so another opportunity to spend money on myself!

Soldato
Thanks for that. At least we know how long we're going to have to wait to get decent coolers without putting them on ourselves. Seems silly to miss the Christmas period, as I wanted to tread myself to a new card, but I don't want to invalidate my any warranty or mess about with a third party coolers and silly stick on ramsinks.

Still, my birthday is at the end of January, so another opportunity to spend money on myself!

You can fit third party coolers on MSI and Sapphire cards without invalidating your warranty, if bought through OCUK. However, as Gibbo always says, if you damage it with a screwdriver, you're on your own.

Soldato
You can fit third party coolers on MSI and Sapphire cards without invalidating your warranty, if bought through OCUK. However, as Gibbo always says, if you damage it with a screwdriver, you're on your own.

Exactly, the cards are too expensive for me to risk breaking them. Quite frankly, I don't see why I should pay for a sub-standard stock heatsink just to throw it away, pay extra for a decent heatsink, and then have the hassle of fitting it myself, with the risk of damaging a £300+ card.

Although I want a 290 and have the cash ready and waiting, AMD currently don't allow anyone to sell a product that I want to buy ie something with quiet and efficient cooling, that comes complete out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom