• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
Thought Id stick this in here as I can't be the only one who has pre-ordered and is now chewing my nails off and wearing out my F5 button on the store webpage to see if they have come in as expected.

Who else has pre-ordered one of these?

Associate
I haven't pre-ordered yet but am keeping an eye out for reviews and stock availability.

I currently have a Gigabyte Windforce 290X but a friend is buying it off me and as I have just recently purchased an MSI Z87M Gaming edition motherboard I quite like the idea of having a 290 Gaming Edition card to go with it.

Been checking stock myself but still showing pre-order status due today.

Caporegime
Mei and Rofls want a slice of this i think. :cool:

Gibbo bigged it up the other day. Looks to be a nice, fast, quiet and overclockable card. Interested to see what you all make of it.

Last edited:
Associate
yeh, im looking into this card aswel, cant afford it until 2 weeks but waiting for some reviews and bench marks to see what the cooling is like on it

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i find it kind of fishy there's so few reviews on these cards!
msi has nice big fans tho so hoping it good

Caporegime
thats 290x only right?
the lightning is going be a nice card but dont want a 3slot

I like the look of all the MSI 290 cards. The three slotter looks a beast imo. If i was getting one powerful card id be going for the 290X MSI three slotter and clock the nuts off it. Assuming i could accomodate a three slotter. (thats what she said)

Mind if I ask why you, yourself would choose it? I can't find a single review on this model :( I think I'll be too tempted if I see it in stock today though

These cards generally overclock well and have good coolers. MSI also have a three year warranty and they allow cooler removal without voiding warranty. It would make sense to wait for a review, but honestly i can't see any of these cards getting anything but excellent reviews.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
lol thx matt but the question was about the asus
think im wrong tho, they doing both versions, sure i hear somewhere they bring out the 290x lots before to milk it
looks like only HIS doing that? with their awesome new colors :p

Caporegime
lol thx matt but the question was about the asus
think im wrong tho, they doing both versions, sure i hear somewhere they bring out the 290x lots before to milk it
looks like only HIS doing that? with their awesome new colors :p

My bad.

I've heard that the Asus 290 line of cards are not perfect. Two of the heatpipes don't actually make any contact with the core, as the cooler is just a carbon copy of the Nvidia version. Hence its not as 'good' as it could be. I'd avoid the Asus 290's if it was me.

I quite like the colour of the HIS ones. Its an interesting combo. :D

So far the Sapphire 290/X looks to be the pick of the bunch. I'd expect the MSI 290's to fall in just behind that.

Associate
My bad.

I've heard that the Asus 290 line of cards are not perfect. Two of the heatpipes don't actually make any contact with the core, as the cooler is just a carbon copy of the Nvidia version. Hence its not as 'good' as it could be. I'd avoid the Asus 290's if it was me.

So far the Sapphire 290/X looks to be the pick of the bunch. I'd expect the MSI 290's to fall in just behind that.

Thanks. That's solidified my decision, the MSI it is. Now I anxiously await stock :D

Soldato
My bad.

I looked it up and you're right, the two end heatpipes don't come in to contact with the die on both the 280x and 290. Strange.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
My bad.

i do have a set of headphones that color
im not much into gamer colors
but the blue pcb...not so much

i think if that card had white pcb would be pretty nice looking!
angelic :)

yeh agree on saphire, they did a good job, shame about their warranty!
but if some1 threw one at me i wuld not say no!

Associate
i didnt think oc would have them in stock today as i have noticed it has been happening to a lot of products on the website! and i bet they dont even know when they are getting stock, which is the usual answer '' we dont know ''

Back
Top Bottom