Best 2560x1080 21:9 monitor?

Associate
I'm heavily into getting a 21:9 monitor.

So any idea of which is the best one ?
Some monitors in question: AOC Q2963PM, Dell U2913WM, Asus MX299Q, Asus PB298Q.

Last edited:
Soldato
your choices are simple.
most of them use the same panel type....

though being i have the AOC :D and i know what its capable of i would go for that one, if you max out the overdrive setting on the aoc you cant pick up well i cant input lag or if there is some its hard to detect without hardware calibrators to detect it. ...
though you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them go for the cheapest.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The dell looks interesting, it is the 2nd cheapest monitor. In terms of input lag, I did some research about it, looked at the tftcentral website. 25.7 and 17.7(game mode). I also looked at the AOC that ViruS2K recommended, on the pcmonitors.info site, 2ms input lag. However I'm not sure if I can compare since might be different methods of testing.

@ViRuS2k, about the overdrive on the AOC, does it affect the screen colours/gamma?

Soldato
PRAD.de also tested virtually no input lag on the AOC model using what I'll admit is a more accurate and reliable testing method. The overdrive setting has no affect on screen colour or gamma and many users will happily push this all the way up to 'Strong'. There is really very little 'inverse ghosting' using this setting as noted in the review. I think the AOC is an absolutely stunning buy at its current price and was happily recommending this even when it cost considerably more. All of these 21:9 inch models are pretty nice to be honest - aside perhaps from the MX299Q which tends to suffer from rather bad uniformity by design.

Associate
OP
Oh that's good. Also I compared pcmonitors.info with prad.de about the AOC backlight, Pcmonitors.info is saying its not a problem while prad.de is hinting of problem.

Since you have a AOC, how is the backlight in darkness? Is it like the prad.de one? I'm not saying its a problem, just good to know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Backlight uniformity always varies between individual units. I've seen two separate samples of the AOC and received a lot of user feedback on the model. General consensus is it's one of the better 29" models in that regard and generally the backlight illumination during dark scenes is quite even aside from IPS glow.

Man of Honour
Got the Dell here - with gaming mode and a few other tweaks to turn off extra features, etc. you can get the input lag down to somewhere just below 16ms though won't match the AOC I doubt but very playable for single player, I won't go for anything less than a 120Hz panel for online games though.

Soldato
back light uniformity is perfect on this screen. Well the one i have anyway whites and pure white and blacks are pretty much black.
the only issue i have with this screen is the IPS GLOW.
i mistakenly thought i had black light bleed but its not its IPS GLOW they look very similar but mine goes away depending on what view im looking at the screen for instance if i look dead on its perfect if i tilt my head to the left i get glow lol

not a big issue imho and perfectly normal for IPS screens.

quality on this screen is fantastic and colors really pop and blacks are distinguishable from one another and not black blotches .....

also i did some langom tests and and these monitors are able to pickup very fine details and thats with a dynamic range graphics cards setting of FULL 0-255 instead of LIMITED 016-235

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
black screen test, 20 grey squares on a black background, this monitor can pick up every square,.....
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
white saturation test, again this monitor can pick up ever single box 200-254.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php
gradient banding issues - this montior is flawless no banding issues what so ever
think of when you see a bright light in games at the corners you will see banding between black to white, this monitor does not have any banding issues at all, everything is smooth.

you will not be disappointed with the AOC monitor....

the settings i use for my monitor are :

contrast 50
brightness 64
eco : standard
Gamma : gamma1
DRC *dynamic ratio contrast : Disabled/off
overdrive : Strong
Color Temp : User
Red : 47
Green : 46
Blue : 50
DDC/CI : Enabled (without this enabled your graphics card cant communicate with its settings/monitor ect. there for no adjustments from the graphics card end.
input select : DP *display Port
Auto Detect : On
DP Capability : DP 1.2 (Daisy Chain)

The rest of the settings i dont use or hardly use like PIP ect ect....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

again if your looking for a monitor i recommend the AOC considering its the monitor i have done most of my testing on....

also this monitor does 75hz @native
and also does 100/120fps when forced and tweaked @native. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can see why you recommend the AOC :D. If I'm going to buy the AOC I'll try some of your settings. The Prad.de website that PCM2 introduced to me is really good, just noticed they reviewed quite a lot of 21:9 monitors in question. Will do some more research.

Tried your white saturation test, haha I failed 2 boxes. :D

edit: Looks like the LG 29EA93/73 is out for me, according to this post it has pwm backlighting. http://www.overclock.net/t/1455903/21-9-displays-my-experience

Also I took a look at this monitor on the prad.de site. Adjustable stand, speakers, no external power supply. But god is it expensive. But in terms of IPS glow, its pretty damn good. Other wise its pretty similar to the AOC, but costing 100 pounds more.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus PB298Q 29" Professional Super-Wide LED Multimedia Monitor - Black £419.99
Total : £429.59 (includes shipping : £8).

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see why you recommend the AOC :D. If I'm going to buy the AOC I'll try some of your settings. The Prad.de website that PCM2 introduced to me is really good, just noticed they reviewed quite a lot of 21:9 monitors in question. Will do some more research.

Tried your white saturation test, haha I failed 2 boxes. :D

edit: Looks like the LG 29EA93/73 is out for me, according to this post it has pwm backlighting. http://www.overclock.net/t/1455903/21-9-displays-my-experience

Also I took a look at this monitor on the prad.de site. Adjustable stand, speakers, no external power supply. But god is it expensive. But in terms of IPS glow, its pretty damn good. Other wise its pretty similar to the AOC, but costing 100 pounds more.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus PB298Q 29" Professional Super-Wide LED Multimedia Monitor - Black £419.99
Total : £429.59 (includes shipping : £8).

Saw the AOC yesterday for £xxx.xx brand new........... that's a good price :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
But in terms of IPS glow, its pretty damn good. Other wise its pretty similar to the AOC, but costing 100 pounds more.

IPS glow is a characteristic of a panel and is exactly the same on all of these 29" models. Backlight bleed and uniformity varies between individual units on all. The PB298Q is my second favourite choice after the AOC, mainly due to price mind. And if the fixed stand starts to annoy you, it does have VESA mounting.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
temp.sgk those pictures on the aoc is backlight bleed but those are probably the worst you can get when view the aoc.
i have slight blb but its no where near as bad as those photos, those photo`s have got to be the best to the very worst you can get lol

Soldato
That's covered in my review, but to summarise for you.

"The speakers produce a reasonable sound with a bit of a richer quality than most built-in monitor speakers will create. Volume output is also decent, although some distortion is apparent above a volume of about 60."

They're placed either side of the stand (so behind the screen area).

Back
Top Bottom