Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:19   #1
tom_e
Capodecina

Moss Bros bespoke experience

Does anyone have any experience with the Moss Bespoke service?
They've got an offer on for the Luxury cloth and signature pack for £295 to me that sounds like a good deal for an almost custom suit especially as I'm a bit of a strange shape and off the rack requires a lot of tweaking anyway.

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6
tom_e is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:21   #2
[FnG]magnolia
Registered

Spend more and do it properly.

e : That wasn't very useful. Moss Bros will give you a very average suit which may or may not suit (hurrr) you and will almost certainly not fit you where it needs to. A smaller, local tailor will be better able to spend the time necessary to measure and fit you. He might charge a bit more but the result will be significantly better in my opinion.

Last edited by [FnG]magnolia; 6th Feb 2014 at 09:24. Reason: addition
[FnG]magnolia is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:27   #3
Musty Pie
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FnG]magnolia View Post

e : That wasn't very useful. Moss Bros will give you a very average suit which may or may not suit (hurrr) you and will almost certainly not fit you where it needs to. A smaller, local tailor will be better able to spend the time necessary to measure and fit you. He might charge a bit more but the result will be significantly better in my opinion.
100% agree.

For my brothers wedding we found a small independent who had infinitely better choice nicer suits, and great fitting and tailoring. And not that much more in terms of cost.

Musty Pie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:28   #4
Adam
Sgarrista

Quote:

You aren't even in this country so do you actually have any experience of the service offered?

I'll add on my opinion, based on facts as I have used them myself. I paid £310 for their luxury cloth with signature pack plus a pair of extra trousers. The fit is superb, I felt they measured me really well. It was good fun picking the cloth, trim, interior colour etc. All in all it took about 6 weeks from start to finish as they send your specifications to asia for it to be made then they make any alterations you require after the fitting.

My suit has worn pretty well, I travel a lot so went for the navy birdseye cloth and it still looks great. I was warned not to get the suit jacket dry cleaned to frequently as the shoulders can sometimes sag.
Adam is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:29   #5
Theophany
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
navy birdseye
Captain Birdseye?
Theophany is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:36   #6
Freefaller
Commissario

For a cheap "better fitting than off the peg" suit - I say go for it. It's not much money and that would be the cost of a relatively cheap suit as it is, so if they're able to tailor it even a little it's a good deal.

L'Admin Fraais d' OcUK - Email in trust & FAQ.
Freefaller is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:37   #7
[FnG]magnolia
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You aren't even in this country so do you actually have any experience of the service offered?

I'll add on my opinion, based on facts as I have used them myself. I paid £310 for their luxury cloth with signature pack plus a pair of extra trousers. The fit is superb, I felt they measured me really well. It was good fun picking the cloth, trim, interior colour etc. All in all it took about 6 weeks from start to finish as they send your specifications to asia for it to be made then they make any alterations you require after the fitting.

My suit has worn pretty well, I travel a lot so went for the navy birdseye cloth and it still looks great. I was warned not to get the suit jacket dry cleaned to frequently as the shoulders can sometimes sag.
Hi Adam. I used MB several times when I was younger and lived in the UK. They cater to the "quick, cheap and cheerful' brigade and that's fine, I have no issue with that. The fact is, though, that a suit for 300 pounds is not going to last and will not fit very well in most cases. You can argue this point if you like, you are wrong.

A suit is an investment. It is an extension of you and you should feel comfortable in it, you will look amazing in it and it is not a chore to put on in the morning but a privilege, a joy.

The OP would be better off going to 3 tailors, ask to be fitted, compare prices, and negotiate.

I'm glad you found MB to be worthwhile though.

[FnG]magnolia is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:51   #8
tom_e
Capodecina

I won't be spending more than about £300 on a suit because I've got a seriously expensive year coming up, so maybe a better way to word it is
"Does anyone have any experience in using them and is the fit better than off the peg which has things turned up and nipped in? My usual suit place is Slaters so nothing high end."

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6
tom_e is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:51   #9
Tunney
Capodecina

I've never bought a bespoke suit from MB but the chap who runs their bespoke service used to run a tailors that I have used.

Very good suit, very good value for money. The only downside was the wait of about six weeks.

I assume that MB's bespoke service will be very similar but can't say for certain.

Tunney is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 10:07   #10
dirtychinchilla
Soldato

Mags, what has happened to you? Never seen such serious responses! I love your bit about making the suit a joy to put on though, it's absolutely true.

However, I think you'll get a better suit than a £200 off the peg one, but it's not going to be as fantastic as a standard tailored one.

dirtychinchilla
dirtychinchilla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 10:14   #11
Skidder
Man of Honour

There are loads of other options in the measure and Asia route. I have used king and Allen a few times. They do baste fittings/as many fittings as needed which is what you want.

Skidder is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 12:47   #12
Nix
Underboss

Who are those tailors which you can meet in Liverpool Street St., etc. and they take your measurements.

I think you get a fully tailored basic suit for about £300?

Nix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 13:00   #13
King Damager
Capodecina

Quote:
Hi Adam. I used MB several times when I was younger and lived in the UK. They cater to the "quick, cheap and cheerful' brigade and that's fine, I have no issue with that. The fact is, though, that a suit for 300 pounds is not going to last and will not fit very well in most cases. You can argue this point if you like, you are wrong.

A suit is an investment. It is an extension of you and you should feel comfortable in it, you will look amazing in it and it is not a chore to put on in the morning but a privilege, a joy.

The OP would be better off going to 3 tailors, ask to be fitted, compare prices, and negotiate.

I'm glad you found MB to be worthwhile though.
This may be a bit less understanding. MB bespoke is slightly different in that you go in for a fitting, they tailor it to you and then make it based on your measurements. Admittedly it's still sourced from china for the actual making process but the whole point is this is tailored xorrectly.

Now I have no idea on the quality of the fabric, but for a cheap tayloring perspective it seems like a good option

kd

King Damager is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 19:40   #14
teamwest
Associate

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
I won't be spending more than about £300 on a suit because I've got a seriously expensive year coming up, so maybe a better way to word it is
"Does anyone have any experience in using them and is the fit better than off the peg which has things turned up and nipped in? My usual suit place is Slaters so nothing high end."
How did your MB suit come out?

” You can have anything you want in life if you dress for it.” - Edith Head
teamwest is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:12   #15
Pawnless Endgame
Sgarrista

All very well guys, but remember, the princess is in another castle.

Pawnless Endgame is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:36   #16
Theophany
PermaBanned

ITT: I want to spend silly money on a crap suit but it's bespoke, so the mouthbreathers of GD's sartorial group will approve.

Meanwhile, on Saville Row...
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:38   #17
JBod
Mobster

Suddenly I feel alone in hating suits. They are restrictive, hot and uncomfortable. Certainly not a joy to put on. Ties - if you really really think about it - look utterly ridiculous.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."
JBod is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:41   #18
Theophany
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBod View Post
Suddenly I feel alone in hating suits. They are restrictive, hot and uncomfortable. Certainly not a joy to put on. Ties - if you really really think about it - look utterly ridiculous.
I refer you to my earlier post.

A suit that fits you is very comfortable, has you wanting to put on as often as possible and looks the bees knees. If you spend £20 on a suit it will be crap. If you buy an off-the-peg jobby it will usually be a crap. A proper, tailored suit is not only a joy to wear, but have you looking like a fricking boss in no time.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:41   #19
d_brennen
Capodecina

Quote:
You're wearing the wrong suits

d_brennen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:44   #20
JBod
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophany View Post
I refer you to my earlier post.

A suit that fits you is very comfortable, has you wanting to put on as often as possible and looks the bees knees. If you spend £20 on a suit it will be crap. If you buy an off-the-peg jobby it will usually be a crap. A proper, tailored suit is not only a joy to wear, but have you looking like a fricking boss in no time.
I am a boss. I don't wear suits.

Why would I spent many hundreds of pounds on a suit I will never wear? They are a relic of a bygone era.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."
JBod is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:46   #21
Theophany
PermaBanned

Quote:
I am a boss. I don't wear suits.

Why would I spent many hundreds of pounds on a suit I will never wear? They are a relic of a bygone era.
No personal attacks.

e: for a wee bit of context, I am a 24-year-old who owns no less than 40 suits in various fits, styles and cuts. In my admittedly few years in wearing and owning suits, I am rather fastidious in my selection of new suits. So, as sorry as I am not to tell you you are clueless on this subject matter, I have to admit that you simply do not know what you are talking about and are either looking to troll or just be an idiot.
Last edited by Theophany; 1st Jul 2014 at 20:49.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:48   #22
Efour
Capodecina

Moss bross is where i hired my summer ball dress 20 odd years ago.... nice

Efour is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:57   #23
Nix
Underboss

Quote:

e: for a wee bit of context, I am a 24-year-old who owns no less than 40 suits in various fits, styles and cuts. In my admittedly few years in wearing and owning suits, I am rather fastidious in my selection of new suits. So, as sorry as I am not to tell you you are clueless on this subject matter, I have to admit that you simply do not know what you are talking about and are either looking to troll or just be an idiot.
Let's assume that a suit can cost anywhere between £100 to £1000 and just assume you've spent around £300 on each.

40 x £300 = £12,000

I call BS.

Nix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:06   #24
Strife212
Capodecina

Theophany only wears £10,000 Saville Row suits.

Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4.0Ghz | 24GB RAM
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB
Strife212 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:23   #25
Theophany
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Let's assume that a suit can cost anywhere between £100 to £1000 and just assume you've spent around £300 on each.

40 x £300 = £12,000

I call BS.
You can call BS on any argument you fabricate in your head. That's the benefit of doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife212 View Post
Theophany only wears £10,000 Saville Row suits.
I'd never pay that much unless I won the Euromillions jackpot, but I certainly wouldn't take sartorial advice from a computer forum that has so often proved itself to be clueless on such issues.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:33   #26
The Craig
Soldato

Quote:
This is why you are a pleb who has no right voicing an opinion in this thread.

Im soon to be 23 and have one £100 suit (shirt, suit and trousers)... Damn..

Xbox gamertag = "The Buff Man"
The Craig is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:41   #27
Theophany
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Craig View Post
Im soon to be 23 and have one £100 suit (shirt, suit and trousers)... Damn..
A lot of the suits I bought were at the cheaper end of the spectrum (as a poor graduate, I wore a lot of Primark and cheap M&S suits), hence why I have so many. Once you start buying more expensive suits you realise where the money goes.

That being said, I could've picked up a couple of Versace, Armani and Hugo Boss suits for less than £500 last week whilst outlet shopping and I quickly realised that the ill fit wasn't worth it. I was enamoured with a Prada three piece until I saw how poorly it fitted me when I put it on.

God's honest, the most comfortable suits I've bought have been William Hunt (beautiful, fashionable cuts) and Aqauscutum (conservative, timeless cuts) and I've never paid more than £200 for a two piece. When it comes to suits, you really do get what you pay for to a certain degree.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 22:36   #28
Rotty
Don

I have 5 or 6 bespoke suits and have recently lost quite a bit of weight, hopefully I can take them back to the tailor that made them and get them altered rather than having to replace them

Rotty is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 22:41   #29
Nitefly
Banned

Quote:

40 suits?!

I'm 26 and I think I've owned about 5 and have only purchased 2!

Nitefly is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 22:46   #30
Malevolence
Soldato

I've never owned a suit in my life, and most likely never will. Well, not unless someone buys me one for my funeral.

Phenom II X4 - 8GB DDR3 - GTX660 2GB - [Steam]
Malevolence is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote