Intermittent failing to load web pages issue (Draytek Vigor 2860)

Associate
Hey guys

Im having an issue with my internet at the moment where in general browsing on the internet pages sometimes fail to loading (just spins trying to connect and times out) sometimes i press enter on the url bar again right after it not responding and it will suddenly load fine.

Speed test is showing 80mb down 10mb up so it seems speeds are fine (this is a virgin media line by the way)

The super hub is set in modem mode into thr router, which then has everything connected to it.

I am wondering if theres a setting in the Vigor that would cause this issue? i had something like this at work which was caused by packet sizes but i dont think that would be an issue on a default setup router?

Also on xbox live i have constantly moderate NAT despite the DMZ being set, ports open etc, also games such as FIFA are super chopping like a sort of very latency spike...

I should mention we had a Vigor before and swapped it out for this new one with no wifi (separate device for that) and new firmware and now we have all these issues so i thought it would be a router setting?

I can try and provide any further info, this problem is on both wired and wireless connections going into the router.

Cheers for any help its really annoying but i cant work it out

Associate
Hi There,
I actually work for VirginMedia but on the business side, What Kia is reffering to is using OpenDNS as opposed to VM's DNS server. If it is a DNS issue on VM's side then this would be a good workaround.

How long has the problem been occurring? The DNS servers you should be using are as follows 194.168.4.123 and 194.168.8.123. You can verify this by going to a command prompt in windows and running ipconfig /all Quite happy to assist.

Associate
OP
Hi There,
I actually work for VirginMedia but on the business side, What Kia is reffering to is using OpenDNS as opposed to VM's DNS server. If it is a DNS issue on VM's side then this would be a good workaround.

How long has the problem been occurring? The DNS servers you should be using are as follows 194.168.4.123 and 194.168.8.123. You can verify this by going to a command prompt in windows and running ipconfig /all Quite happy to assist.

hi, great!

problems started when we switched router, perhaps a little before that so a couple of weeks.

would those dns settings be somewhere in my router? ill grab a windows pc and try ipconfig as im on a mac

edit: ran ipconfig and took a pic, hope this helps

nUVbAdXl.jpg

and heres one from my mac incase it adds anything

3tDutNYl.png.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OK I cant see from the windows output what DNS you are using, Did you run the command "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" The second command will give you more information and its possible you may need to scroll down to get to the DNS settings.

Looking at the output from the MAC, You are pointing your DNS to 192.168.1.1(Your Draytek) and the secondary address is virgins secondary DNS server. I would have a look in the config page of the router and find where you can input the DNS settings, These will be 194.168.4.100(Primary) and 194.168.8.100(Secondary) I reckon that will resolve your issue. Let me know how you get on, Any problems, Shout.

Associate
OP
OK I cant see from the windows output what DNS you are using, Did you run the command "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" The second command will give you more information and its possible you may need to scroll down to get to the DNS settings.

Looking at the output from the MAC, You are pointing your DNS to 192.168.1.1(Your Draytek) and the secondary address is virgins secondary DNS server. I would have a look in the config page of the router and find where you can input the DNS settings, These will be 194.168.4.100(Primary) and 194.168.8.100(Secondary) I reckon that will resolve your issue. Let me know how you get on, Any problems, Shout.

thanks sorry i missed the /all so its just ipconfig, here is a print screen on the ;dynamic DNS' setup on my router, would this be what im looking for or is this a different thing?

Cheers

p2aQTL8l.png.jpg
Sp6DNB9l.png.jpg

Associate
OP
OK its a guess, But when u go into the config page, On the left hand side you have 2 menus u can go into. WAN and LAN, I think it will be under the WAN section.

yup though i cant see DNS mentioned there

i found this, WAN2 is the wired output for our internet and this is the IP tab

K4ThAlKl.png.jpg

Associate
There it is in the bottom right hand corner. You have specified google as your DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, Substitute these for the IP's i gave you earlier, Press OK once you have change and see how u get on.

Associate
OP
There it is in the bottom right hand corner. You have specified google as your DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, Substitute these for the IP's i gave you earlier, Press OK once you have change and see how u get on.

thanks ive put in the numbers you stated so will see if anything chances. Since you work at VM is there any reason i would be getting max 80mb download on a 120mb package even without downloading anything of size over the past few days?

Associate
Hmmm i see from your speedtest that you were getting 80mb down and 10mb up yet you are on 120mb??? When you run the speedtest, Are you running the speedtest on a machine that is attached by Ethernet?

Associate
OP
Hmmm i see from your speedtest that you were getting 80mb down and 10mb up yet you are on 120mb??? When you run the speedtest, Are you running the speedtest on a machine that is attached by Ethernet?

yup all wired, we used to get around 115 on the best days but now days its about 50% for no real reason, obviously tech support dont have a clue when you ring them so we just deal with the slower speed

hits 80 then pushed back down in this constant jagged saw type pattern like its hitting a limiter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom