• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fix for audio stutters in systems with R9s in Crossfire with VSync on its way

Associate
Hello everyone,

We have identified the root cause for the audio stutters in systems with 2 R9 290’s in Crossfire mode with VSync enabled.

We are planning to include this fix in an upcoming WHQL driver expected to be released in April; that being said, we are also aiming to include this fix in an earlier Beta driver that is slated for next month.

I will do my best to keep you informed on this topic by updating this post as we move into March, and will provide you the link to said driver.

Thank you very much for your patience

(And thanks to those of you who have sent me emails and private messages about this issue - very helpful)

Man of Honour
Hello everyone,

We have identified the root cause for the audio stutters in systems with 2 R9 290’s in Crossfire mode with VSync enabled.

We are planning to include this fix in an upcoming WHQL driver expected to be released in April; that being said, we are also aiming to include this fix in an earlier Beta driver that is slated for next month.

I will do my best to keep you informed on this topic by updating this post as we move into March, and will provide you the link to said driver.

(And thanks to those of you who have sent me emails and private messages about this issue - very helpful)

The only thing I have noticed it in is Civ5 but I don't use VSync.

Caporegime
Hello everyone,

Great work Sam. Now ill stop bugging you and Thracks about it. :D

Any idea what was causing it?

Soldato
This is good news indeed - I really hate screen tearing and the stuttering sound was driving me insane (that is, when I actually had 2 working cards lol). I believe there was a much earlier beta driver that didn't have the issue, but obviously you had none of the benefits of updates.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Yes great news! I just clued yesterday that I haven't been using v-sync for my current fancies anyway (tomb raider and BF4), so I gave 14.2 a go.

Turns out Crossfire Mantle is a bit TOO good. I was pushing 140-170 frames per second on BF4, almost constant 100% GPU usage across both. Fantastic result, but I need to slow that sucker down just to keep my cards from melting!

Caporegime
Sorry to hijack thread Sam but have you any idea when us 7970/280x etc owners will be able to enjoy the fruits of your mantle labour?

He hasn't set his trust account up.

I'll direct him to the thread then. :)

Yes great news! I just clued yesterday that I haven't been using v-sync for my current fancies anyway (tomb raider and BF4), so I gave 14.2 a go.

Turns out Crossfire Mantle is a bit TOO good. I was pushing 140-170 frames per second on BF4, almost constant 100% GPU usage across both. Fantastic result, but I need to slow that sucker down just to keep my cards from melting!

Yep i found my gpu temps a bit higher as well because of the boost to fps.

Caporegime
I'll direct him to the thread then. :)

Thanks. i'm interested to know this to. Mantle is sublime, The problem is i can't get it to work reliably over Medium settings, certainly not with anything more than Medium Texture settings.

I think its because my 2GB of vRam just isn't enough, even those with 3GB struggle to get it over High settings.

The thing is, My Tahiti LE can run BF4 all Ultra without MSAA and low Post AA at over 60 FPS, if it wasn't for the CPU pulling it down to ~50 in DX with 85% GPU usage in those places.

So, like many others, i just want to know a bit more about whats going on, what it is about whats causing this amount of vRam usage, whats being done about it, and a rough time frame.

Sam / Thracks? :)

Now that i have a taste of Mantle, I WANT MOAAAARRRRR.....

Last edited:
Associate
What audio stutters does this refer to? Reason I ask is since I've installed the new diablo 3 update I've noticed I've gotten some sound problems, been meaning to go on the battle.net fourms and ask about it but not ahd the time...with all my diablo playing :p lol

Soldato
It effects 290's when in crossfire & vsync is enabled. The sound will break up, stutter and generally sound awful regardless of which sound source you use. As soon as you disable vsync, it goes away.

Associate
OP
Thanks. i'm interested to know this to. Mantle is sublime, The problem is i can't get it to work reliably over Medium settings, certainly not with anything more than Medium Texture settings.

I think its because my 2GB of vRam just isn't enough, even those with 3GB struggle to get it over High settings.

The thing is, My Tahiti LE can run BF4 all Ultra without MSAA and low Post AA at over 60 FPS, if it wasn't for the CPU pulling it down to ~50 in DX with 85% GPU usage in those places.

So, like many others, i just want to know a bit more about whats going on, what it is about whats causing this amount of vRam usage, whats being done about it, and a rough time frame.

Sam / Thracks? :)

Now that i have a taste of Mantle, I WANT MOAAAARRRRR.....

Got it, I'll check with Thracks and get back to you on this.

Soldato
I wondered what the hell this way lol in a few games I was getting this and thought something was wrong with my sound system :D. Its good to know its a known issue and its getting fixed

Associate
OP
Sorry to hijack thread Sam but have you any idea when us 7970/280x etc owners will be able to enjoy the fruits of your mantle labour?

Hello everyone,

We just updated the Mantle Known Issue page for the Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver (here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Mantle-Known-Issues.aspx).

It now elaborates on the support for the 280X:

"Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them."

Soldato
Hello everyone,

We just updated the Mantle Known Issue page for the Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver (here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Mantle-Known-Issues.aspx).

It now elaborates on the support for the 280X:

"Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them."

It's great to know they're on their way, but can you tell us when? Do you consider the optimisation for 290 cards complete enough to move on to the 280/7970s etc or are they still way down on the to do list??

Back
Top Bottom