Coffee table build

Associate
My PC isn't really a gaming rig, I download all of my programs/films via torrent..most of them being 20gb-40gb files, I then play those on my 64" plasma screen.

I have found with lesser PC's that they will struggle when asked to display fast moving scenes on larger files, during overclocking we also found that it's nothing to do with the graphics card but the processor itself, we came to the conclusion that there is no rendering being done so the graphics card has a reasonably easy time.

Like I say it's not a gaming rig it's for displaying films in 7.1 format with 3D 1080 etc

Anyway, my present overclocked watercooled PC does just fine but I wanted a showpiece for the cinema room in the new house so I built this, it may be overkill for what I will be using it for but i dont mind that.

MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (OC Edition)

Corsair Professional Series AX 860W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply

ReAct MSI Z87 SLI - Intel Core i7-4770K 4.7GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 (Overclocked from retailer)

TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz

4x Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Sound Card

Aqua Computer Kryographics Hawaii Radeon R9 290x

Koolance CPU-380I Water Block

EK Water Blocks EK-DCP 2.2 X-RES

XSPC AX360 Triple Fan Radiator

NZXT Sentry LXE Touch Screen External Fan Controller

2x Bitspower Z-Multi 400mm Water Tank

6x Corsair Air Series AF120 1500RPM LED Quiet Edition

I installed all of this into a ramvik coffee table that I got from ebay

IKEA%2BHACK%2B2-711546.jpg

It cost £30 so was cheaper than the wood to build it and saved me a bit of work.

It's far from finished, I have a lot more work to do but thought you guys might like to see it, I had the glass blacked out with 30% film today but dont have any pics, these I took at the weekend during a "hangover" build so there is not many and they aint very good lol.

I need to get some PCI riser cables for the graphics card and soundcard, I think I need shielded type? Anyone suggest where I can get them/which ones to go for?

Is there anything I have missed/you would change, I am far from an expert on computers and am just picking my way through this with little knowledge really!

I'll upload a few more when I am finished.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, it looks a lot better than it does in the pics and I haven't finished it yet so if you guys think it's ok then I must be on the right track!

The tint I had fitted yesterday hid a lot of the small imperfections in the carbon film that I wasn't happy with!

Associate
OP
I hope to have the table against the wall with trunking to the TV or the HDMI under the floor (cinema room is in the converted loft area)

I could use it as a coffee table and run the wires under floor before the carpet goes down but I dont know if I like the sound of that.

Soldato
I hope to have the table against the wall with trunking to the TV or the HDMI under the floor (cinema room is in the converted loft area)

I could use it as a coffee table and run the wires under floor before the carpet goes down but I dont know if I like the sound of that.

aaah, really cool.
It's nice when you can do that, makes things nice and neat

Associate
Not sure why you think you might need to get sheilded risers - my understanding is that the ribbon isn't the source of em noise, but the components on the cards. The soundcard is likely shielded, and the only thing I've ever experienced with GPU's is choke whine.

I've been using a PCI-e x16 riser with my gpus (GTX 285, 295 and 480) to date without any adverse affects.

As for the build log, I'm VERY jealous of your work. How are you going to connect the media centre coffee table to the screen and plus it in without leaving trailing wires? Something under it in the floor?

Solid bit of work - subbed! :)

Associate
OP
Yea under floor or it will be against the wall with trunking but having it seemless would be great, I kinda want that look where it seems totally disassociated from the rest of the system even though it is the heart of the cinema room.

I really do not know much about the subject and after reading this build thread.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

It seemed he had issues with unshielded cables, if I don't need them I wont get them....Spent WAY to much cash on this already.

What about the power connections, the wires that came wit the PSU are way to short, can I buy extensions from somewhere?

Associate
OP
Had some more time to spend on the rig, I went for a 3M screened riser for the GPU, Monsoon connections on the 19mm cooling hose and Alchemy cables, I fitted temp sensors to the pump reservoir, GPU and CPU.

I'll let the pics do the talking, plenty more work to be done and still waiting for parts to arrive to finish the project.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks very good :) Although I think it'd look better with the 'straight' tubing that you bend rather than the flexible tubing you've used, just to make it a bit neater.

Associate
Looks very good :) Although I think it'd look better with the 'straight' tubing that you bend rather than the flexible tubing you've used, just to make it a bit neater.

Agree with that hardline acrylic would look much better. Interesting build man, going to keep an eye on it as it progresses.

Soldato
That looks fantastic, and is, of course, complete overkill for an HTPC, but, needless to say, I love it! :)

Throw an xbox 360 wireless controller receiver in there somewhere, and you've got a brilliant gaming machine too!

Associate
OP
Agreed it would look better in hard pipe but it looks a pain to bend and I have bought the ends now so will stay with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom