• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Downsampling Made Simple With Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Soldato
Downsampling The Easy Way With Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)-Running On AMD

CRU-the program you need:

http://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.1.1.zip

Before you do anything, create a System Restore point, it's a handy fallback to use in Safe Mode should your monitor go out of range.

e3ce582bd9a4418a1810bdd16d3f5932.jpg

Run CRU as administrator, allow it through smart screen if need be(W8).

1. Untick 'Include extension block'

2. Click 'Add'

3. Input Horizontal

4. Input Vertical

5. Optional if you have a 120Hz/+ panel, Input Refresh rate.

6. Press OK, and restart PC.

Check and see if it worked:

be0168ef56afc1079d8c59726d76f7af.jpg

It really is that simple and the results speak for themselves:

Crysis 3 screenshot on max everything@1440p:

uopk.png

4K is working on my 120Hz Sammy 3D panel@30Hz, the resolution for input is - 3840/2160

I'm only posting a simple guide to get it working, full credit goes to the author of CRU:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Notes:

I had to unplug my second display as it wouldn't work with both plugged in-your mileage may vary though.

I would advise leaving your native resolution on the desktop and using in game settings to change individual game resolutions as the screen goes blurry when running out with your native res.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok just heads up guys i'll be staying well clear of this haaa just had a scare there needed to remove drivers ect.

Games glitched out where even after I reset the program it looked like Memory damage. Driver removal and thank god its fine.

Permabanned
I get signal distortion running anything higher then my native resolution.

Sucks balls... I just used super sample in the CCC anyway.... Works in most games tbh...

Caporegime
I get signal distortion running anything higher then my native resolution.

Sucks balls... I just used super sample in the CCC anyway.... Works in most games tbh...

Which games does it work in? Do you use over ride or enhance?

Great guide Tommy. Mixed success for me though.

I've overclocked my monitor safely to 66hz at 1440P, that's the max it well go sadly. Tried 3840x2160 @30Hz but i get a black/blank screen when i enable it in say BF4 for example. Think it might work if i lowered the refresh rate some more but don't want to run it that low.

Soldato
Never heard of downsampling before. This looks very interesting although the mixed results are making me a bit reluctant.

If you still have that gtx 770 in your sig you can make a custom resolution in nvidia control panel , Same as this but saves downloading another program

Associate
O wow it look so dam good lol but max I could get at 1440 was 75hz going to try 1200p
Did you apply the AMD pixel clock patch?

Something I don't quite get though. If you're using downsampling to get 1440p @ 75hz on a 1080p 120hz monitor then surely you would have been better off just getting a 1440p monitor to begin with?

Soldato
Did you apply the AMD pixel clock patch?

Something I don't quite get though. If you're using downsampling to get 1440p @ 75hz on a 1080p 120hz monitor then surely you would have been better off just getting a 1440p monitor to begin with?

It was just for I test :D I wouldn't give up 120hz for no resolution :p

Am waiting for the new Asus 1440p 120hz. But I did test this. Had BF4 running @ 1440p 75hz
So then tried to get 120hz @ 1200p and it worked showing up in game etc, but when I applied it my screen went all mad. I quit and loaded up GPU-z test and it even done it on there, Restart the same "Gutted" lol
Full driver restart was my only fix.

Soldato
It did work but then I think I messed up somewhere and thought I damaged my GPU's. So I tuck it as a warning lol

You cannot damage your GPU doing this, it will more likely damage your monitor. Your GPU is a 290 model right? Which can support upto 4k resolutions. But I know what you mean with the scary looking memory damaged sort of picture because I got it as well and had to boot into safe mode just to get past it.

It will just damage your monitor if anything

Back
Top Bottom