• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blown capacitor, need to find replacement

Associate
Hi.
My Sapphire 7950 stopped working and I found the problem - capacitor C800 has blown due too high temperatures and me not monitoring it too much.
I can't RMA it. I bought it from private person, another mistake but I got lesson for the life, that's for sure.

Can anyone tell me the value(capacitance) of capacitor?
IB5K5R0l.jpg

Associate
oops!! :D

If it's a reference design it should be 100pF/50V. Not guaranteed as manufacturers are allowed some freedom within the specs.

The problem here is as there's no markings and as it's obviously blown it can't be measured.

Last edited:
Associate
Skip one and measure the next (C791 or C827). tbh it's only a decoupling capacitor, should run fine as it is if it hasn't gone short-circuit. Be careful if your equipment outputs more than 800mV AC for the measurement as these connect directly with the vRAM. Most compact meters use around 30mV but they are not accurate enough for the job due to the ram being a semiconductor.

What manufacturer and model, I'll try and grab schematics.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you still get in touch with the seller? People do that all the time on here, not sure what Sapphire's RMA process entails exactly though.

Associate
OP
OK. Assuming standard parts:

100pF 25V DSCC casestyle: 0402 should do you just dandy - by experience ;)

Thank you sir, will try your size capacitor and I will hope for the best.

There is positive and negative pin on capacitors, how I can tell what side is negative on those type capacitors?
Or I should take 50/50 chance :)

Associate
Have you tried contacting Sapphire directly? Twitter might be a good idea and they might be able to DM you a tech email

Suspended
Hi.
My Sapphire 7950 stopped working and I found the problem - capacitor C800 has blown due too high temperatures and me not monitoring it too much.
I can't RMA it. I bought it from private person, another mistake but I got lesson for the life, that's for sure.

Can anyone tell me the value(capacitance) of capacitor?
IB5K5R0l.jpg

Pray it hasn't damaged that controller chip, there are burn marks on it :(

Associate
same problem on R9 280X dual-x

Hi ! I got a shappire R9 280X that is dead (black screen and fans doesn't spins).
When you have replaced that blown capacitor , you have solved the problem??
I have an image of my faulty board :mad:
photo.php

Back
Top Bottom