• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Think my card has died :(

Soldato
Hi guys,

As title suggests, I think my card has just giving up on me :( just made a cuppa and put a film on, when suddenly both monitors turned off with no signal, fan on the card didn't stop, remained at 55% I'm guessing by the sound.

Powered on the system, no display, keyboard lights came on, looked like it was booting ok.

Tried again, got a display and looked fine booting into Windows, only to get a garbled screen and loss of display again.

I'm pretty gutted as you'd imagine, I've reset the bios as I'd disabled the onboard gpu, system displays with no issues so I'm guessing it's the card.

Ill have a better look tomorrow, the card is a Asus reference 290x and was bought at a competitor on the 14/12, so warranty is no issue.

I wonder what the situation would be on a replacement, I'd prefer a ref card again if possible, I fancy these are better clocking.

Soldato
It's a goner... Similar symptoms to when mine died. Switched the machine on one morning. Windows boot up screen artifacting. Rebooted again and no signal.

DEAD....

Soldato
Powered on the system, no display, keyboard lights came on, looked like it was booting ok.

Tried again, got a display and looked fine booting into Windows, only to get a garbled screen and loss of display again.
You using MSI Afterburner or similar and and have it set to apply OC on startup?

I'm guessing your card is not "dead", but more to do with your memory overclock on the card ain't stable and causing blackscreen. I have experienced what you have describe...I had to race to press the "reset" button on the Afterburner before the signal is lost.

What I've learn from that experience is to not have auto apply OC on startup enabled, but manually apply the OC profile before actual gaming (so if you get blackscreen, rebooting the PC you with return to the desktop with the graphic card at stock clock).

Last edited:
Caporegime
You using MSI Afterburner or similar and and have it set to apply OC on startup?

I'm guessing your card is not "dead", but more to do with your memory overclock on the card ain't stable and causing blackscreen. I have experienced what you have describe...I had to race to press the "reset" button on the Afterburner before the signal is lost.

What I've learn from that experience is to not have auto apply OC on startup enabled, but manually apply the OC profile before actual gaming (so if you get blackscreen, rebooting the PC you with return to the desktop with the graphic card at stock clock).

I have found exactly the same. Only use apply overclock at startup if you're 100% sure its stable.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys,

Its not afterburner in my case, I'm certain of that, I've run the same 24/7 overclock (1150/1400 since getting the card and it's been solid in everything.

I guess it's time to sort out an rma then :( just hope it gets sorted quickly, never rma'd an Asus card before.

Associate
It could be if you installed new drivers?

I had to wind my 24/7 clocks back from 1180 to 1150 after installing 14.6 drivers yesterday. Had artifacts on boot into Windows.

Soldato
OP
Sorted guys :) booted using IGPU and removed AMD drivers, afterburner etc, swapped back to the card and booted with no issues, installed 14.6 betas and it's all working brilliantly again....and breathe...:)

One thing though, afterburner isn't allowing me to change any voltages now, any ideas guys?

Massive thanks for the help and support.

Caporegime
Sorted guys :) booted using IGPU and removed AMD drivers, afterburner etc, swapped back to the card and booted with no issues, installed 14.6 betas and it's all working brilliantly again....and breathe...:)

One thing though, afterburner isn't allowing me to change any voltages now, any ideas guys?

Definitely the issue we all mentioned mate. Only use apply overclock at startup if you're 100% positive its stable. Probably best to just not use it imo, it's caught me out a few times.

Soldato

That's good to know. I didn't get off that lightly :cool:

Back
Top Bottom