27” Monitors comparable to a Dell 2713HM

Associate
Sorry if this rambles a little, think I just need to justify the purchase to myself...

My current setup is a Dell U2713HM (2560x1440) as my main monitor with a 1920x1200 monitor on each side of it (a Samsung and a DGM “ocUK VA”).
Unfortunately my Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW has died (well, I say ‘died’, more a case of crackled a lot, and now makes a really bad electrical burning smell… even though the picture still looks fine, I’m too worried that it’s going to burst into flames!!) so I’m now looking for a replacement.

Triple monitor use is mainly for software dev, or watching a movie while I’m working, but occasionally for games (though Elite Dangerous is the only game I’ve played triple screen – which looks awesome!)

I had originally been going to get the new Dell U2415, with the intention that the DGM could also be replaced with one in a year or so if it dies (been expecting it to go for a while, but it keeps on ticking!)

However after doing some measuring, looks like I should be able to just fit three 27” monitors on my desk. I initially thought about the Dell U2715H, but I think this is just a bit too expensive for me (especially as I’d want another in a year to balance things out).

I have found a few other 27” monitors that seem to fit my requirements (2560x1440, IPS or equivalent, full height swivel and tilt, DP input). Do any of these compare favourably with the Dell? Or am I better just going for the U2415?

Main problem I’m having is figuring out which monitors are really good, and which are just really good compared to the 5 year old 21” the reviewer just upgraded from.

Samsung 27D850D (Pro: Good price, good reviews; Cons: the stand)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-206-SA&tool=3

BenQ GW2765HT (Pro: Good price; Cons: buttons on side, a problem with 3 monitors side by side)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-110-BQ

BenQ BL2710PT
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-105-BQ&groupid=17&catid=1120

Asus PB278QR (Pro: good reviews, on sale; Cons: Cost not far off Dell U2715H)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AS&groupid=17&catid=1120

AOC Q2770PQU (Pro: Same panel as the Asus, good reviews; Con: cheap plastics??)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-018-AO&tool=3

Acer CB270HU (Pro: good price; Con: Acer quality?)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-073-AC&groupid=17&catid=1120

As far as I gather Dell & BenQ have a zero dead pixel policy (or is it bright pixels? Though I did have a Dell monitor replaced with a single dead pixel last year)
I’ve read conflicting reports on Samsung’s policy, some saying it’s ‘zero dead’, others saying it takes several in the middle of the screen
Asus appears to be zero bright, but 5 dead/stuck, while Acer seems to around the dozen mark!
That all sound right, or do I have anything wrong?

Might be a little over cautions on the dead pixel policy, in 10 years and around 20+ monitors (including ones bought at my office) I’ve only had a dead pixel on 1 monitor.

Man of Honour
what about maybe 2x Dell U2515H as an intermediate size, if you're swaying between a 27" and a 24" model? (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm)

For 27" screens have you considered trying to pick up 2 more U2713HM's perhaps, as that might seem a logical option for triple screens, assuming you've been happy with the U2713HM that is. The new U2715H would have been a logical side by side as well. out of the others i think personally i would go with one of the BenQ models which are of a high standard, but ideally getting other Dell screens would be a better option i think

Associate
OP
I'll have another look at the U2515 - looks good and the price is fantastic! If only it had been available when I got the 2713!!
I think my hesitation is the thought that it might look a little odd having the same res as the 27" but a smaller screen - so would have that odd 'shrink' effect as things move from the main monitor to the side ones (not too much of an issue with normal windows, but might be odd with Elite Dangerous!)
I've been trying to find photos of the 2 side by side but no luck yet :(

Not much point getting another 2713HM as the 2715 can be bought for less.
The BenQ does look nice, but as the BL is £350+, it's so close to the 2715 that I might as well go with that anyway (if I go for a 27")

thanks for the feedback

Man of Honour
I'll have another look at the U2515 - looks good and the price is fantastic! If only it had been available when I got the 2713!!
I think my hesitation is the thought that it might look a little odd having the same res as the 27" but a smaller screen - so would have that odd 'shrink' effect as things move from the main monitor to the side ones (not too much of an issue with normal windows, but might be odd with Elite Dangerous!)
I've been trying to find photos of the 2 side by side but no luck yet :(

Not much point getting another 2713HM as the 2715 can be bought for less.
The BenQ does look nice, but as the BL is £350+, it's so close to the 2715 that I might as well go with that anyway (if I go for a 27")

thanks for the feedback

i've got the U2515H connected side by side with the U2713HM now in fact. i can't say that it's a major difference going back and forth between the two, although i'm using them from two different PC's at the mo. the text is a bit smaller on the U2515H but it's not a massive difference

Associate
OP
i've got the U2515H connected side by side with the U2713HM now in fact. i can't say that it's a major difference going back and forth between the two, although i'm using them from two different PC's at the mo. the text is a bit smaller on the U2515H but it's not a massive difference

Don't suppose you'd be able to take a pic of the 2 together so I can see the difference?

Only comparison I've been able to find with a 27" so far has been with an AOC with a huge bezel, and neither monitor was on, so was hard to tell what the difference was on the actual screens.

Associate
"The BenQ BL2710PT is one of the best name brand 2560x1440 monitors along with the Viewsonic VP2770 and is superior to the Asus PB278Q (more ghosting, no USB 3.0 ports, uses LED PWM Dimming), Dell U2713HM (plagued by quality control and revision variance issues) and Samsung S27A850D (worse color presets, more ghosting, worse build quality). The Viewsonic VP2770 has slightly better color presets, a better stand and is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of design (imo), while the BenQ supports judder free Blu-Ray playback over HDMI 1080p@24hz, is cheaper and has better sRGB color space coverage and color accuracy when using the Standard mode and Gamma 2. Those who do not intend on connecting an external blu-ray player via HDMI may want to consider the Viewsonic VP2770 since it offers very similar performance and is more aesthetically pleasing (imo).

Compared to the overclock-able Korean monitors such as the Qnix QX2710 the BenQ BL2710PT offers better build quality, 4x USB 3.0 ports, a 3 year warranty, the ability to be purchased from retailers with hassle free return+exchange policies (if available), less ghosting, multiple inputs and similar image quality but costs more, can not be overclocked and has higher input lag. "

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-ahva-auos-version-ips-pls-2.html#post1121959

best 27's here http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...best-27-2560x1440p-monitors-ahva-ips-pls.html

Man of Honour
Don't suppose you'd be able to take a pic of the 2 together so I can see the difference?

Only comparison I've been able to find with a 27" so far has been with an AOC with a huge bezel, and neither monitor was on, so was hard to tell what the difference was on the actual screens.

what are you wanting to see specifically so i know what pic to takle?

Associate
OP
what are you wanting to see specifically so i know what pic to takle?

Just wanting to see how the two look side by side with content on them (so it is easy to see where the screen stops and the bezel starts)
Also to see how close they are in terms of height so I have an idea of how big the 'shrinking' effect would be as something is moved from the 27" to the 25".

Part of me thinks that it might not be too bad (a 2" difference in diagonal would only be approx 1.5" in width and 1" in height, so having them aligned at the middle should mean only 0.5" difference at the top and bottom), but part of me thinks it might be quite noticable and jarring in games. Hoping seeing the 2 side by side would put my mind at ease :)

Thanks!

@hedgey Thanks for the feedback on those monitors, I hadn't been aware of the Viewsonic. I'd read about QC issues on the u2713HM but most comments seemed to be from a couple of years ago (2012 I think) - I must have got luck with the one I got last year :)

Man of Honour
sorry for delay, had to hook the U2515H back up. here's a pic showing screen size of the U2515h (left) compared with U2713HM (right)

screen_size.jpg

and one showing a photo of the two screens next to each other to compare font sizes (click for full size)

Associate
OP
That's great, thanks :D

There really isn't too much between the two panels, it doesn't look like the height difference is even as much as an inch.

While a 27" would be preferable, I think the price difference between the 2515H and any other 1440 27" monitor more than makes up for a very small difference in vertical height - so I think I have made up my mind :)

I'll sleep on it tonight to be sure, but hopefully then I'll get the Dell ordered tomorrow :)

Thanks for going to the trouble of setting them up for the pictures Baddass, it's really appreciated!

Associate
OP
Ended up buying 2 of the u2515h and they sit great with the 2713, so thanks for the help, I'm very please with them :D

Will need to take a pic for the monitor thread now...

Associate
I've just got the new u2715h fantastic, zero backlight bleed and very very low IPS glow, its one of the lowest glow levels I've seen on IPS. Was going to get extra wide but they need to be better built/less issues before I go that route.

Back
Top Bottom