Windows 8 Memory Leak with Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 causing freeze

Associate
Hello not sure if this has been posted however this was driving me crazy and i finally found a fix last night.
This affects users with windows 8.1 and motherboards with Qualcomm’s Killer Ethernet networking products (in my case Killer E2200) when it is enabled in the bios and the driver is installed
Using Task Manager i could see the memory was gradually increasing until it used all available memory causing windows to gradually become slow, unresponsive and then freeze (hard reset required).
The memory was being filled by the Non-Paged Pool because of some sort of conflict between Qualcomm’s Killer Ethernet driver and Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver.

The fix that i found from goggling
run regedit
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu
Change the value of the the registry key “Start” to 4
This disables Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver
Restart PC to prevent it from starting.

I also disabled bandwidth control in the killer network manager.
and Yaiiiiiiiiii :D there's no more memory leak.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, I resorted to just installing the Driver INF for the Killer E2200. Mainly because I don't care for the killer network manager, and can't see that it does anything. :p

Associate
OP
I have GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force
edit- i found just the driver through a driver website as it isn't available through gigabytes website and installed it by updating the driver through device manager after removing the software however i just didn't like this method but that's just me.
Anyways this thread was just to notify people about the memory leak

Last edited:
Soldato
It can be addressed by removing the Killer NIC from your PC, selling it on eBay, and using the proceeds to buy something which actually makes a substantial difference to gaming performance :D

Associate
I had this problem last year although in my case it got to around 7000MB then stopped and nothing I could do would fix it. In the end it disappeared when a power cut happened and when I booted up the computer it was no longer there.

Back
Top Bottom