• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290X LE quick review and thoughts

Caporegime
So, as many of you will be aware, I am somewhat of a staunch nVidia fanboy and I imagine a few were double taking when I said I was going for an AMD card :D

Anyways, I went for the MSI 290X LE, as I had previous 680 Lightnings and was very impressed with the build quality on those and the LE 290X isn't any different in the quality department. On opening the box and taking the card out of the ant-static bag, you could see straight away that the build quality was top notch. Nothing feels like it is about to break and everything has a real solid feel to it. Plenty of connections on it as well with DL-DVI, HDMI, DP all an option.

So after taking the 3 Titans out and popping in the LE, it was time to fire it up. After some initial black screens prior to putting the driver on, I ran into another issue.... I couldn't get the screen to run at 120Hz (I knew prior that AMD can't do 144Hz at 1440P). It would strobe flicker for a couple of seconds before going to a black screen. I finally got round it by connecting another monitor and setting 60Hz on the ROG Swift. It might go higher on the refresh but I was happy, so left it there. A bit of a small issue and not something that was going to deter me but I did expect to be able to run 120Hz at 1440P. This has me also thinking that Freesync 144Hz monitor and 1440P might well have some teething issues on certain systems but time will tell on that.

Right then, screen is working and I am now ready to hit some games. The first game I fire up is Tomb Raider, as this is a problem free game for both AMD and nVidia users and kudos to Square/Enix on this game. Still a wonderful looking game and one I am happy to put time into. The game flows along very nicely and with Ultra settings, I was getting around 50 fps at 1440P and it felt nice and smooth. No stutter or judder and very free flowing. A very good start :)

Next up was one of my current favourites, which is Elite Dangerous. I have put a lot of time into this and it didn't disappoint on the 290X. Free flying saw me sitting at around 120 fps and in and around stations, it was dropping to 50 ish, which is very acceptable. The commodities market/menu felt very sluggish but not anything to moan about and not as important as combat (which I didn't get into).

Third game was BF4 and time to give Mantle a try :D And I can see why people like it. It ran very smooth, felt very responsive and on one of the big snow maps, I was sitting around 72-75 fps constant at ultra and 1440P. No slow downs and a good feel to the game. Mantle gets a plus from me here.

And my last game of trying is Assassins Creed: Unity... So much has been made about this game and how it runs poorly for the 970/980/290/290X and I found it to be "ok".... That is a bit of a lame response but that's all I can say. It ran ok, it felt ok and it played ok. I played this to death on my Titans and on those it ran ok. Neither the 290X or the Titans was as smooth as the previous games and goes to show that UBI made a fantastic game with some poor optimisations. Nothing I could whinge at on either system and it has the same judder I got on the Titans. Frames were quite low as well but I only played AC:U on a minimum of a pair of Titans, so that wouldn't be fair to compare.

Overall, I am very pleased with the 290X and I was very impressed with how well Mantle felt in BF4 (Kudos AMD/Dice). The only downside I can see at present is the refresh rate. Because of how low the refresh rate is, this in turn brings masses of tearing to games. I purposefully turned off G-Sync when I knew I was getting rid of the Titans but I left the refresh rate at 144Hz, as I expected there to be little difference between 120hz and 144Hz but as I can't run 120Hz @ 1440P either, I was a little disappointed. Not one of the games tested ran without tearing and this is a little bit of a thumbs down moment. If AMD can get the 144Hz working (or even 120Hz), that would be me pretty much set and free gaming without a care in the world.

Temps were very good and surprised me a bit. I have the fan curve set at AB's recommnded setting and whilst I could hear the fan, it wasn't loud and temps didn't go over 75c that I observed.

So, to wrap up my very quick review, a very good card indeed. Solid with a decent build quality. Mantle is very good and runs very nice. If they could get 144Hz and 1440P working, that would seriously help with the tearing and they could even have converted me to being a fan of AMD. A small moan but overall an enjoyable couple of hours gaming :cool:

Caporegime
Great to hear of your overall positive response Greg, pretty much reflects my own! If I was closer I'd lend you my 295x2 to gauge your reaction :) (no doubt equally as positive :cool:)

I love Mantle, and it's overall plus-point for me is giving MS a good kick up the ass in getting DX12 right :)

You heard it from me first, but I think the 290-series is going to have MORE DX12 support than even Maxwell ;)

Caporegime
Nice little review, can also say nothing but good things about mantle in bf4 even based on my limited usage of it. Card looks nice, and looks slimmer than the twin frozer nv cards I've owned.

Caporegime
OP
See my Q & A thread about that on Monday. ;)

Oooo, that sounds promising :)

Great to hear of your overall positive response Greg, pretty much reflects my own! If I was closer I'd lend you my 295x2 to gauge your reaction :) (no doubt equally as positive :cool:)

I love Mantle, and it's overall plus-point for me is giving MS a good kick up the ass in getting DX12 right :)

You heard it from me first, but I think the 290-series is going to have MORE DX12 support than even Maxwell ;)

Yer, overall I am very happy. I didn't want to keep on about the tearing, as that is a refresh rate problem but that doesn't detract from a very good card and a very good experience with Mantle.

Permabanned
So, as many of you will be aware, I am somewhat of a staunch nVidia fanboy

I never would have guessed. :)

So, to wrap up my very quick review, a very good card indeed. Solid with a decent build quality. Mantle is very good and runs very nice. If they could get 144Hz and 1440P working, that would seriously help with the tearing and they could even have converted me to being a fan of AMD. A small moan but overall an enjoyable couple of hours gaming :cool:

Glad you like the card and are enjoying some Ati goodness but your blood's green through and through. Let's face it you will be back to the dark side soon :D

Man of Honour
Oooo, that sounds promising :)

Yer, overall I am very happy. I didn't want to keep on about the tearing, as that is a refresh rate problem but that doesn't detract from a very good card and a very good experience with Mantle.

@Gregster I hope you don't mind but I have copied your review into the 290X owners thread, it is under a new section I have started called user reviews.:)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18551717

If anyone else has 290x user reviews I am quite happy to include those too as long as they are of a reasonable length and not just a couple of lines.:)

Caporegime
OP
Of course Kaap. It is a shame I am only off for the weekend or I would have done some methodical testing (not that it is needed) and I am far too tired today.

Overclocking tomorrow and see what is what. I did try a quick down and dirty 1170 and max volts (whatever they are in AB) but it was a no go :(

Permabanned
Of course Kaap. It is a shame I am only off for the weekend or I would have done some methodical testing (not that it is needed) and I am far too tired today.

Overclocking tomorrow and see what is what. I did try a quick down and dirty 1170 and max volts (whatever they are in AB) but it was a no go :(

Max volts in Ab is only +100mv. You will need +150 to 200mv to overclock to 1170-1200+ which Sapphire triXX utility will allow you to do.

Caporegime
I like people who keep an open mind :cool:

I'm the same, I've had multiple nVidia and ATi cards (starting with the original GeForce and ATi Rage cards) and always get the best value going :cool:

Caporegime
I've never owned any AMD cards myself, and tbh very few if the nv cards I've owned have been new. Members market is where the most of my cards have come from. But depending on what the 300 series is like I could be tempted to move to AMD. Though I'm still interested in how the whole g/freesync situation pans out as I don't like the idea of being tied to one vendor.

Back
Top Bottom