** Gigabyte G1: The Overclocking Master.........For now! (Benchmark & OC Review)!! **

OcUK Staff
Hi there

As many of you already know Gigabyte sent me a Gigabyte 980Ti G1 to test and evaluate. I was excited about this card as it is the first true custom PCB card with uprated power phase design and quite a powerful cooling solution.
8 Pack very kindly let me borrow one of his benching rigs which has his finest 5960X processor in it which runs at 4.90GHz on water stable on everything, this bad boy can even hit 5.00GHz. So big kudos to the Pack!

Some stats on the card:
1190MHz Base (1000MHz Stock 980Ti)
1291MHz Boost (1075MHz Stock 980Ti) **20% Overclock out the Box""
7010MHz memory

Reality:
The card was actually boosting between 1311-1377MHz Boost in benchmarks, that is closing onto a 25% overclock out the box compared to a regular Ti.

Benchmark Results: Stock (1311-1377/7010)

FS.jpg

FS%20Extreme.jpg

Ultra%204k%20FS.jpg

heaven.jpg

Valley.jpg

Benchmark Results: OC (1490-1510/8200-8400)

FS_1.jpg

Extreme%20FS.jpg

Ultra%20OC.jpg

heavenOC.jpg

ValleyOC_1.jpg

The card is an excellent overclocker, though I feel the GPU on my card is not as strong as some as I've heard rumours of some G1's hitting as high as 1570-1580MHz on the cooler in benchmarks, mine can hit around 1510MHz, maybe 1520-1530MHz with some cooler weather.

The card is silent at idle and in light gaming as the fans will not spin up until 55-58c range, so basic gaming is in silence as the fans never need to spin, especially in a well ventilated case.

Once the fans are spinning the card remains quiet, but I have come across quieter, but it is by no means intrusive. What I do like is the fans at 100% are hugely powerful and the cooling performance is fantastic, certainly one of the better coolers performance wise for sure, which is needed as the 980Ti is quite a hot card which will easily run at 80c on default fan profiles with stock cooler and can get quite noisy if in a poorly ventilated case or a hot summers humid day.

I think the benchmarks speak for themselves, sorry we don't have game benchmarks but you can easily work it out for yourselves.

Just need to end this review with stating Maxwell is clearly the undisputed King of Overclocking, running at over a 40% overclock on the core compared to a stock 980Ti is a huge achievement and gives a vast performance boost over any regular 980Ti. Infact this card is beating Titan X hands down for gaming performance.

That is it really, all that is left is we expect lots of stock Friday this week and you can pre-order one right now here:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £629.99 inc VAT

GX-164-GI_400.jpg

Ti. The most powerful two letters in the world of GPUs. When paired with our flagship gaming GPU–GeForce GTX 980–it gives you incredible new levels of performance and capabilities. GTX 980 Ti is accelerated by the groundbreaking NVIDIA Maxwell™ architecture to deliver an unbeatable 4K and virtual reality experience. With 2816 NVIDIA® CUDA® cores and 6 GB of memory, it has the horsepower to drive whatever comes next.

GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 3X 600W cooling system once again break the record and bring the air cooling capacity up to 600W by only using 2 slots heights. The WINDFORCE 3X 600W cooling system is equipped with five 8mm and one 6mm composite cooper heat-pipes , special fin architecture, unique blade fan design, and GIGABYTE “Triangle Cool” technology. This not only provides an effective heat dissipation capacity but also enables higher performance due to a lower temperature.

With extra color options and numerous lighting effects, gamers can now choose the right scheme for their gaming rigs through GIGABYTE OC GURU II utility software.

Features:
- VR Ready
- DirectX 12 Ready
- 4k Ready
- 6144MB VRAM
- Titan X PCB
- Triple Fan Cooler with Selectable LED Colours
- WindForce 3X 600W cooling system
- Flex Display Technology
- Silent Mode: Fans do not spin until 55c is reached, so silent operation

Specification
- GeForce 980Ti
- GPU: GeForce 980Ti
- Core Base Clock: 1190MHz
- Core Boost Clock: 1291MHz
- Memory Clock: 7010MHz
- Memory Size: 6144MB GDDR5
- Bus Type: PCI Express 3.0
- Memory Bus: 384-bit
- CUDA Cores: 2816
- DirectX 12: Yes
- DVI Port: 1x Dual-Link DVI, 3x DisplayPort & 1x HDMI
- DisplayPort: Yes
- HDCP: Yes
- HDMI: Yes
- Power: 2x 8-Pin
- 600W PSU Required
- 250W TDP
- Dimensions: L=282mm, W=110mm, H=43mm
- Warranty: 3yr

Only £629.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
So how does this stack up against the EVGA 980Ti Hybrid? That will run cooler obviously, but in terms of performance is there much between them?

Out the box G1 will be quicker (higher boost speeds), OC wise they should be pretty similar as the Hybrid cooler will be worth 20MHz or so additional on the core due to cooler running.

A close match.

Associate
will i get the same if im using a i7 4770k. edit just found a firestrike benchmark for this card at 1080p =16150 for a i7 4770k @4.4oc, so although this looks good on paper we cant all afford a 800 qid processor , would like to see benchmarks for systems that the average person has.

Last edited:
Associate
So how does this stack up against the EVGA 980Ti Hybrid? That will run cooler obviously, but in terms of performance is there much between them?

Only thing that annoys me about the EVGA and the reason i would not buy it is the strange bronze color, i still believe silver would have been a better choice and easier to match to a build.

Associate
Beauty of a card can't fault mine one bit, well apart from the bad overclocking software by Gigabyte, but that's what Afterburner is for. Just curious Gibbo was this overclock done on stock voltage? Currently maxed mine out at 1479MHz core and about 7900MHz memory at stock volts.

OcUK Staff
OP
Beauty of a card can't fault mine one bit, well apart from the bad overclocking software by Gigabyte, but that's what Afterburner is for. Just curious Gibbo was this overclock done on stock voltage? Currently maxed mine out at 1479MHz core and about 7900MHz memory at stock volts.

+87mv

Back
Top Bottom