Insulating Internal Door to Garage

Soldato
Hola

Ive an internal door leading from utility room into the garage. The bottom floor of my house (townhouse) is always much cooler (read; freezing) than the rest of the house, and i think it's because of the garage.

Is there anything i can do? Can i "weather proof" the main external garage door (i still need it to be practical), or is there something i can do to the internal door?

I wouldn't mind but it's where the man cave is :( (on the same floor. not in the garage).

If the garage side of the internal door doesn't have to be pretty, get 2 inches of kingspan on there! Draft strips elsewhere, and even kingspan on the garage door internals.

I have screwed silver foil bubble wrap to the internal of my main garage door (leaving a slight air gap) - with overlap to fill the gap around the frame, I also filled in the gaps between the frame and brickwork )its a rented property so a bit of a gash job done replacing the garage door - the difference in the temperature is huge!

Our downstairs toilet and fridge freezer are in the garage part of house so it was important to sort it before the winter!

Oh awesome thanks guys. I'll definitely look at that then. I'm worried that im pumping heating into the house bu it's just flying out the garage!

I definitely dont mind stick insulation on the garage side of the internal door, thats a great shout. i might even look for a properly insulated door since it's just a standard interior door. dont know why i hadnt thought of that! x

Oh awesome thanks guys. I'll definitely look at that then. I'm worried that im pumping heating into the house bu it's just flying out the garage!

I definitely dont mind stick insulation on the garage side of the internal door, thats a great shout. i might even look for a properly insulated door since it's just a standard interior door. dont know why i hadnt thought of that! x

I'd want an external door between the house and garage :)

I have screwed silver foil bubble wrap to the internal of my main garage door (leaving a slight air gap) - with overlap to fill the gap around the frame, I also filled in the gaps between the frame and brickwork )its a rented property so a bit of a gash job done replacing the garage door - the difference in the temperature is huge!

Our downstairs toilet and fridge freezer are in the garage part of house so it was important to sort it before the winter!

Are you talking about this kind of stuff?
BUBBLE_WRAP_FOIL.jpg

I'm thinking doing similar, It'd be great if you can take a picture of your insulated door

I'll take a picture tonight although I'm stumped on how to post it!! It is that stuff - works great, I've used it to insulate interior of van etc etc and it really works.

Edit - handy tip, do it in the daytime, from the inside, with the garage door shut - that way wherever there is light you need to fill!!

I'm thinking of doing the same, I've just got a fire door between the garage and utility room but it's freezing in there. I also use the garage as a gym and it's starting to get cold! I really need a new garage door but for now some Celotex will probably do.

I've actually been thinking of doing this also but on top of that insulating the internal block work wall. Can I just fix some batons to the wall and cover with plaster board filling the space with Celotex or similar?

I have a part-converted garage into utility room+cloakroom.
The mini-garage is subzero.
The Utility room is cold.
The cloakroom is OK becouse it has a radiator connected to the central heating.

That's why I'm thinking to improve the insulation as much as possible

Back
Top Bottom