2016 Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton

Soldato
From Pistonheads (link)

What looks to be the Triumph 2016 (watercooled) Bonneville/Thruxton range.
uvQr2MqB.jpg

Q1kHGH5e.jpg

UStNo4sK.jpg

How awesome are these! WANT :eek::cool:

Monoblock brembos too.

Bravo Triumph they are bloody awesome. :D:cool:

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing the move to water cooling means more power than the 60ish bhp of the current bike, hence the move to dual discs and brembos. 800-900cc twin should be over 100bhp with shedloads of torque.

I love the proper cafe racer look, with the wire wheels. Presumably there'll also be a scramber!

Soldato
OP
The Thruxton R looks to be a peach, probably £12k according to reports, but worth it.

Showa Big piston forks, polished triple clamps and loads of nice little touches, the dials look great, retro but modern, and the LED DRL in the old style round headlight :cool:

There's a decent choice now for proper cafe racers - BMW R-NineT, Thruxton R, or Ducati Sport classic (older but they're around the same price, £8-10k). I'd take a Thruxton R over the BMW any day, from the pictures it looks to have loads more nice little touches. The Ducati would be more of an investment.

In a few years time I'd love to add one of these as a "special sundays" only bike to polish up next to the multistrada and commuting bike. I'd happily make the commuter live outside to make space for one of these :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Any £12k new car will be a basic bland shopping car, a brand new commuter bike can be had for £5k.

Old bikes are great but I'd always want something nice in the garage, it's boring just having an old, dirty bike.

Soldato
OP
The sport classic was a bit ahead of the trend - it didn't sell particularly well which means they're currently worth as much as they were brand new, even though the early ones are 10 years old.

The sport classic was the bike that got me into bikes, so I'll always have a soft spot for it and nice cafe racer style bikes.

I would have a Thruxton R over a sport classic though :D

Not sure the domiracer can be classed in the same band as this bike or the R Nine T though, I mean they're £26000 to buy! I'd take a Thruxton R and a Multistrada 1200S instead!

Soldato
OP
According to the video, that's a Thruxton R that was used in the Belstaff short film, ridden by david beckham (king of the hipsters).

But yeah, it's a thruxton R - gold forks, brembos, clip ons.

Soldato
OP
MCN (and probably others) are doing tests of the Street twin (think it's the base model), some more details have come out:

£7300
54bhp
80lb/ft
198kg dry
75mpg
fuel gauge, gear indicator, heated grips ready

160 accessories, plus 3 "inspiration packs" including a scrambler one.

Out next month.

That sounds awesome :D

The standard pipes sound pretty good too

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The previous models were heavy too, 205kg dry so they're shaved some weight despite adding watercooling/abs/cats etc.

Steel frame vs alloy on the street/speed triple, twin shocks, big 900cc engine.

Shouldn't make much difference, they aren't ultimate performance bikes, more something to blat around on, on a sunny day at normal speeds :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom