2023 Personal Review and 2024 Goals

Soldato
Guess I do actually need to get some specific goals myself this year as was just winging it in 2023.

This year is all about finally losing weight and getting to a target where I'm happy to be at. Suppose trouble with that is that can't push myself too much while on calorie deficit.

Running wise I do want to compete in some kind of a trail 10k run and been learning to swim last few months and will continue to do so until the summer so can enjoy some proper swimming in UK while out hiking.

I do go to the gym once a week for the usual powerlifting compound movements but really not interested in any 1RM PRs at this point, just good form and not hurting myself.

One area I am also interested in that I neglected for years is flexibility and mobility so going to start researching and looking into developing some kind of routine there this year.

Soldato
2023 Review

Getting old (47) so enjoying staying fit with Crossfit/some Oly lifting and golf.... Put on some weight towards the end of the year so need to trim that back off. Around a stone to loose.
Did start out wanting to bench BW/squat 1.5bw and deadlift 2x BW - However, niggling knee pain for a few months put that to bed early in the year and never really got the notion to start again.....

2024 goals.

Crossfit - 3/4 times a week, nail down Double Unders, improve crossfit gymnastics and hit some 1RM in Power cleans....
Golf - Lowest I've ever been at 6.9 handicap to end last year - set myself a goal of 5.x handicap next year, 50 birdies in the year, 3 rounds with no double bogies and a gross round of 73/74.
Walk - Simple but get out for walks more with dog/without dog..... I really enjoy just sticking on a podcast and going for a walk. Try and get some more mileage in walking. It's good thinking time for me as well.
Sleep - Minimum 8 hours a night sleep - tracking this with Whoop so no excuses.....

Good luck to everyone this year... Lets get after it.

Associate
2023:
Running target: 1000KM, managed 946KM.
Weight target: 72KG - 75KG, average for the year 74.1KG.
V02 Max: Target 53, average 50

2024:
Running target 780KM, so far 33.92KM
Weight target: 72KG - 75KG. average so far: 73.3KG
V02 Max: Target 53, average so far: 51
I'd like to pick up climbing again, I got into it and then life got in the way but keen start going again especially as an indoor place has opened near by.

Soldato
OP
So, we're a quarter of the way through. My goals have changed quite a bit, mainly from making the decision to sack off any running goals. My foot just isn't there and i figure i'll try and throw myself into cycling.

Weight
Get down to 90kg. - Currently higher than i was at the time of writing the opening post at 104.3kg :(

General Fitness
Record at least 5hrs a week of activity. - Not quite there. A few good weeks, but a ropey January/February set this off badly. March has been around this point though
VO2 Max of 49. Was 45, watch is now showing 48, so some improvement

Cycling
3000km for the year. - Currently 79km behind plan. Although at the start of March this was 300 behind plan, so i've clawed a lot of it back
Complete a 100mile ride - Signed up for a 166km ride in October with lots of elevation, so aiming for a 100 mile ride around June/July so i can get comfortable with the distance

Running
1000km for the year. - Abandoned. Currently done 96km
Marathon distance event. - Abandoned

Strength
As above, i'm hoping to get consistency with strength work. - Pretty much abandoned too. Not much space in current rental to have any equipment. I have gone through phases of squats/lunges, especially when walking the dog, but nothing consistent.

Overall, i'd say fairly disappointing, although March has seen a marked improvement in both ability and motivation. Weight still remains my biggest issue and anyone following my posts in the Weight Loss thread won't be seeing it change anytime soon. Cycling has seen big improvements in the month due to a large increase in volume. So long may that continue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom