27" 1440p 75hz --> 144hz worth it?

Soldato
So I currently have an Asus PB278QV (2560x1440) IPS 75hz running through an Aten CS1822 HDMI KVM switch.

The KVM switch is rated to 144hz at 1440p so I was wondering if there would be any worth from a gameplay experience point of view upgrading to a newer 1ms 144hz 1440p IPS monitor? Note: The connections would have to be HDMI due to the KVM switch.

BTW - What happens if the game you're running can't manage to run at 144hz? Do you just end up with a variable frame rate say going up and down between say 80-144, and you'd just set a max limit (or vsync) of 144fps?

BTW - This is running on a new Ryzen 5 7600 with an NVidia 4070 Super OC.

Last edited:
Associate
I would if I were you your gpu should handle it.
If a game runs under it will just run as high as it can, no specific range with the normal range.

G sync will probably only work within a range but it's usually fron about 48 fps so you should be fine.

Soldato
I had the same thoughts a few months ago as I have two 1440p 27" 75Hz iiyama monitors and was considering updating, but I dont play FPS or multiplayer so just decided id vsync games to 75 FPS as its still extremely playable and didnt cost me more money :)

Soldato
OP
I had the same thoughts a few months ago as I have two 1440p 27" 75Hz iiyama monitors and was considering updating, but I dont play FPS or multiplayer so just decided id vsync games to 75 FPS as its still extremely playable and didnt cost me more money :)
I playing Call of Duty DMZ, and I'll swear its more responsive if I do a frame limit of say 120fps rather than 75fps vsync'd.

I would if I were you your gpu should handle it.
If a game runs under it will just run as high as it can, no specific range with the normal range.

G sync will probably only work within a range but it's usually fron about 48 fps so you should be fine.
This would have to be HDMI through my KVM switch so no G sync?

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if the KVM would inhibit Gsync but I’d definitely recommend the upgrade. You’ll definitely notice it, especially playing FPS.

Soldato
OP
So assuming no gsync due to the KVM and/or HDMI requirement, getting a 144hz monitor should be a nice improvement?

So for best outcome, if I'm playing a game that can't run at 144hz, so say is sitting 100-120fps, would you vsync that or just set a limit in the game to a max of 144fps?

Note: I'll swear there's a noticably smoother outcome (using my current 75hz monitor) setting a max frame limit in Call of Duty DMZ to 120fps rather than vsync'ing to 75fps.

Man of Honour
Note: I'll swear there's a noticably smoother outcome (using my current 75hz monitor) setting a max frame limit in Call of Duty DMZ to 120fps rather than vsync'ing to 75fps.
Yeah because FPS is still useful even if you have lower refresh rate. Partial frames matter and vsync sucks due to input lag introduction.

Back
Top Bottom