48 port switch with port identification by IP address

Soldato
Hi

I'm putting this question here as I suspect the tech is more related to enterprise than home use.

I've got a comprehensive home server setup (3 machines running as VMhosts, 1 as a storage host and the other as live TV and server essentials). As a result of VM migration and bringing at least four network ports from each room in my house, I'm in need of either another 24 port 1gbe switch or 48 if compelling enough.

What I do want is Vlan routing and IP address identification on each port; e.g. so I can find out if I've forgotten to record the machine to port I can figure it out as my cabinet is quite out of the way and more awkward to get to from the back.

I suspect for Vlan routing I can use a layer 3 / 3 lite (or 2+ as some call it) but what would I need for IP address identification if this is possible? I'm assuming a full fat Layer 3 switch would be required and that the 2+/3 lite versions won't owrk?

So, if the above makes sense... What sort of switch should I be looking at? Anyone know of any makes/models/versions that would satisfy me? I'm obviously looking at used enterprise/SMB class units here from Ebay etc. as I can't afford new prices...

Any help is really appreciated.

As a side note, my current switch is a 1gbe 24 port Linksys SRW2024.

Soldato
OP
Most as in Layer 3, or will those classed as Layer 2+ or Layer 3 lite do?

Vlans won't route across unless you have a some form of routing to do so, Layer 3 switches from what I understand (and it is limited, I don't do this for a living) can do the layer 2 Vlan and then allow you to route across the vlans so they can see each other if you want them to.

Back
Top Bottom