4x nvme adapter in x570

Associate
Hi. I have a 3700x cpu and a x570 gigabyte aurus motherboard. I just upgraded the 5700xt to a 7800xt and I'm going to buy a 5800x3d cpu.

However I would also like to expand the storage. I can fit 2x pcie4 nvme drives into the motherboard.

What would happen if I bought a 4x nvme pcie4 adapter and put it in the other big pcie slot and bought some nvme ssds. Upto 4.

Would I have enough pcie lanes?

I think i have 16.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Man of Honour
You have 3 problems with these adapters cards:

1. If it has more than one M.2 slot, then you need bifurcation support on the PCI-E slot (configured in the BIOS), unless the card can handle it (they usually can't).
2. How many lanes the PCI-E slot has available, usually 8 is the maximum on a secondary slot, on a consumer motherboard.
3. If the PCI-E slot shares lanes with other slots or devices.

It is very likely that the only way to get a 4 M.2 slot expansion card would be to remove your graphics card and put it in a lesser slot.

I need the exact model name of your motherboard to check the manual, since there is more than one X570 Aorus.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's an gigabyte aurus elite x570. Thanks.
The primary full-length slot is always 16 lane.

The secondary full-length slot is always 4 lane.

I can't find any mention of lane / SATA port sharing issues, so it looks like you're fine there.

The primary full-length slot supports bifurcation, up to 4x4 (i.e. a card with 4x M.2 slots).

So, it looks like you have two options.
1. Install a one M.2 slot card in the secondary full-length slot.
2. Put your graphics card in the secondary full-length slot and install a 4x M.2 slot card in the primary slot.

Associate
OP
I think the gpu really needs 16 lanes so I might just have 2 in the motherboard and 1 in the secondary pcie slot. Thanks for all your help.

Maybe I could buy sata drives but they are so slow.

It seems I really need to go am5 if I want lots of fast storage. That won't be until next year at the earliest. I can manage with 3x 4tb nvme drives until then.

Cheers.

Soldato
Not many x570 boards would be able to do it
Could do it on mine
By putting the 4x m2 card in primary slot with x16
Gpu in secondary slot at x8
There's a very small difference between x8 and x16 for gpu
A few percentage difference in fps

I have 5x m2 nvme without the add on card anyway
Just means the gpu is at x8
And can only have 4 x sata ssds
I wouldn't say sata ssds are so slow
Yeah compared to nvme m2 they are
But still 500--550MBs is perfectly fine I have 4 x 2.5 ssds set up
As windows storage spaces
So can shove 9 drives on this motherboard lol

Associate
OP
Yeah maybe 6x sata ssd. 6x nvme ssd with 2 on mobo and 4 in adapter. If I'm spending that much on drives I might aswell upgrade the motherboard and cpu to am5 though. So not sure. But I guess when I upgrade I can transfer the drives.

I just want to set up an unraid server with windows in a vm and jellyfin in a docker

What gpu do you have?

Last edited:
Soldato
For storage purposes, unless you're editing 4K/ 8K video directly on the server, you don't need multiple high end SSD drives. A couple of large SATA SSDs will be perfectly fine.

Soldato
You have 3 problems with these adapters cards:

1. If it has more than one M.2 slot, then you need bifurcation support on the PCI-E slot (configured in the BIOS), unless the card can handle it (they usually can't).
2. How many lanes the PCI-E slot has available, usually 8 is the maximum on a secondary slot, on a consumer motherboard.
3. If the PCI-E slot shares lanes with other slots or devices.

It is very likely that the only way to get a 4 M.2 slot expansion card would be to remove your graphics card and put it in a lesser slot.

I need the exact model name of your motherboard to check the manual, since there is more than one X570 Aorus.

Sorry for the thread Hijack :o

But do you know if i will get any problems fitting a Samsung 990 Nmve to this PCI-E card and using it in the bottom 4x slot on an Asus Z790 Dark Hero motherboard ?
The reason why is that my 990 is the one with a fitted heatsink so i can't fit it striaght onto the motherboard without risking breaking it by removing the heatsink

V6yie7d.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour

But do you know if i will get any problems fitting a Samsung 990 Nmve to this PCI-E card and using it in the bottom 4x slot on an Asus Z790 Dark Hero motherboard ?
The reason why is that my 990 is the one with a fitted heatsink so i can't fit it striaght onto the motherboard without risking breaking it by removing the heatsink
I can't see any lane sharing for this slot in the manual, so you're probably good.

The heatsink for M.2_1 might be removeable separate from the other heatsinks on the motherboard, but I can't tell for sure.

Associate

Should be fine - those adapters often have a heatsink, so they should be fine with the extra weight.

Back
Top Bottom