a lot of rust on recent cars?

Soldato
Today, was walking through a car park in Chester and checking out some cars as you do... and it confirmed what I've been thinking lately that a lot of cars are getting rust and deteriorating a lot quicker than they should be? I know over the last 20 years, cars are different beasts now, but noticed on a lot of 53-56 plates, shed loads of corrosion and crud... for example... as I was walking through I noted around 5 cars...

1. 54 Plate Mini - The front fog lights all rusted up and rust all over the front bumper... and the silver from inside the lights going weird
  2. 56 Plate Merc CL (something) - This had rust around the front wheel arch and also on the door sill?
Have to be honest, didn't really note the other cars but they were all what i class as newish cars and was really surprised to see rust on them, none older than a 04 plate. I myself have had to respray my rear door of my RX8 as there was corrosion on on the corner of it that I didn't want spreading to the rest fo the door... mine's an 06'.

So, question to you guys and gals, what's your opinion on the last decade of cars corrosion wise? Was I unlucky? Who knows, but I know there's a Chrysler 300C at work and that's got corrosion around the rear boot lid... I know this as I was looking at it as it's a fine looking car (for a big box), but was amazed to see rust.

Soldato
OP
The paint on my Type R is quite frankly laughable in it's application... funny as was speaking with a body shop and was asking and they said the paint on Honda's for a few years has been poor. Time will tell the quality of this Mazda... however my old Mazda Xedos 6 was exceptional, I did 197k miles in that thing and not a spec anywhere... same with my 53 plate Saab Aero... nothing BUT the plastic door mirrors are terrible on Saabs all corroding after a few years. Seems we got superb quality and now it's like we're going backwards a little now... I looked under the body of my RX8 the other day and it's a rust fest everything corroded. Not a patch on the Saab or the Honda... then again might all just be surface rust but to me, it's not a good sign.

It's not just bodywork, the amount of corroded alloys... Mazda seem to be the worst with the worst corrosion in history. The guy who did my RX8's love Mazdas, he says they make up 20% of his repairs lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Check out the arches where it meets the sill on any 04/05ish Mazda 6 quite worrying how much rust can be seen

See this is the thing... why the hell are things rusting in this day and age. Ok, yeah, people look after their cars differently, but either way... galvansiing? better paint/primers etc? I'm really getting annoyed and I'm glad it is not just me noticing this... a car of that age should not be rusting... IMO anyway, maybe I'm living a dream lol

Soldato
OP
I wonder the same, then I think its 6/7 years old and if im just being stupid. I hate rust though, in my strange mind as soon as a car gets rust its broken and needs to cast off to another owner who won't mind it or will deal with it, my civic type-R on an 07 plate has rust and im seriously considering getting rid as I dont see the point in paying as much as I did for a car with rust, I might as well just spend less and buy older if i want a decomposing car
Our Type R is an 07 plate, no rust. Where's yours as I'll be out with my ACF50 lol

Soldato
OP
Look along the seal where the windscreen meets the roof, here is a bad case of it

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/81264-rusty-roof-honda-recall.html

Also at the top corner of the doors

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/12975-rust-doors.html

Renault and Peugeot seem immune to rust, shame about everything else
Friggin hell, I'll be double checking that lol, cheers man. As for Pugs yeah, galvanised panels help... you could always tell an accident Pug years ago, the front wings would rust, and you knew they were aftermarket replacements lol

Back
Top Bottom