AIO cooler master 120, is it the issue...

Associate
Hi all.
So, my new PC keeps crashing while playing Star Citizen. I bought a pre-built system last week, it's using a 120 Cooler master AIO.
This is trying to cool a I7-2700f, with 32gig corsair 3600 dominator ram, 4070ti 12gig, 750watt psu. 1TB NVME ssd, I assumed this set up would run the likes of SC, Cyber punk, its crashed on me running cinebench to.
Im thinking the small AIO maybe the weak link in all this. My self built rig plays it fine, with a lesser GPU. But has a arctic freezer 360 cooling a 3800x3d. My son has this now.
I ran furmark on the CPU section. The little rad got very hot very quick. The case, cooler master ARGB MB520, doesn't look like I can fit a 360 AIO cooler in. The top looks like it's only big enough to maybe fit 240 AIO. But even this is an upgrade to the one fitted. So will the CPU be getting to hot, and hard crashing my pc.

Man of Honour
As Glanza states, you need to check the cpu temps while gaming to see if it's overheating. Use something like Hardware info or Afterburner to keep a eye on temps. If it is overheating a quick google of your case shows it will take 360mm rads in the top and the front. As it's a prebuilt pc what make and model is the psu?

Associate
You could also use coretemp if you just want to check CPU temperatures. That 120 AIO may be a problem but the box cooler the 12700f comes with was, if I remember correctly, kept it cool enough when gaming. If that can do it I'm sure the AIO can.

Associate
Is it overclocked at all? If so, put it back to stock. I'd also suggest repasting and then reseating the heatsink. (The aio block).

Actually, sanity check, Is the AIO pump plugged in?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, I've just checked bios, it's all running standard. I've got the option to run the AIO fan at full, so I've just selected that, it sounds louder now it's spinning up. I'm going to have a quick pop on star citizen now, see if it helps.

Associate
OP
I've searched the site, looked on YouTube and it's a not clear. The AIO should run around 65-70 gaming from what I can tell. But trying to find exact numbers with the i7-2700 running the corsair psu and 32gigs of ddr4 is hard work. I'm going to try and fit a 360 cooler at the top of the case. If that doesn't help I think I'll still have time to send it back to Amazon, its the-

Stormforce Crystal Gaming PC – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB, i7-12700F, 1TB, 16GB, WiFi, Windows 11 (Amazon Exclusive)​

I've added an extra 16gig and 1tb nvme.

I've also just got a good 5 mins before it crashed on SC, that's an improvement. I'm thinking it's with the fan running at high speed, with better cooling.

Last edited:
Associate
That case should be able to fit a 360 rad in the front or a 240mm rad in the top.

Storm force have a decent sounding warranty so I'd advise to speak to them if problems persist.

If you mess about with it to much it will invalidate the warranty, it's not end of the world but what's already a relatively expensive computer your going to chuck more money at it and don't know if it's going to fix the issues,

They reckon they test them after each build, I'd be asking for their test sheets and questioning how they test them, so you can replicate their testing,

Something is evidently wrong when it won't even run a stress test before crashing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know, I'm gutted. This seemed like a good pre-build for the cost. I don't usually get involved with these, but with Amazon doing interest free payments, I grabbed it. I'm thinking of grabbing the 260 NZXT or arctic coolers, if that works. Keep it until I've got enough to buy either another 5800x3d and AMD mobo, or grab the i51360k. I just want a stable gaming, and work station. This is the first intel build I've had. Not impressed.

Last edited:
Associate
I know, I'm gutted. This seemed like a good pre-build for the cost. I don't usually get involved with these, but with Amazon doing interest free payments, I grabbed it. I'm thinking of grabbing the 260 NZXT or arctic coolers, if that works. Keep it until I've got enough to buy either another 5800x3d and AMD mobo, or grab the i51360k. I just want a stable gaming, and work station.

Try removing the additional ram first.

Then repaste the CPU incase they done a crap job.

Then give them a call apparently they do free collection and drop off for warranty issues.

The 120mm.aio isn't great but it should keep it cool enough. I can't imagine they would sell them with that cooler if they couldn't keep the cou cook enough for the task that's required

Associate
OP
Yeah, maybe adding the extra ram and messing up the dual channel voltage set up wasn't the improvement I was expecting. I'll start that in the morning.
Thanks for the help guys, s_xturbo. Much appreciated.

Associate
OP
Sx_turbo, you were spot on mate, I had to see if it worked. It played without a hitch. No issues smooth and no stutters, after removing the 2 extra sticks of ram. Here's me thinking it wouldn't run right without them, when gaming. I'll probably swop them out for two 32gig Dual Channel sticks when I've got spare cash. Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Associate
Sx_turbo, you were spot on mate, I had to see if it worked. It played without a hitch. No issues smooth and no stutters, after removing the 2 extra sticks of ram. Here's me thinking it wouldn't run right without them, when gaming. I'll probably swop them out for two 32gig Dual Channel sticks when I've got spare cash. Cheers mate.

Excellent news, happy gaming

Man of Honour
Running 4 sticks of memory increases the strain on the cpu's memory controller which is why it's advisable to stick to a pair. You could increase the memory controller voltage to try to get four sticks to work but it may still not get it working. There has been a couple of bios updates for your motherboard that increase system stability and memory compatibility so it's worth updating to the latest version which includes a fix for the LogoFail vulnerability.

Back
Top Bottom